vdschoor

First dock in a wingsuit!!

I went out with MadJohn and TallGuy on Sunday for another Birdman jump.
the last two I did were at the Byron Boogie (end of September last year), and I was just itching for some more "suit time"

My experience at the Boogie wasn't really convincing.. I liked it, but not enough to pull out the credit card or dig into the savings account.
Since a lot of people that fly the suit DO do this, I figured I should give this another shot, knowing it could be an expensive jump in the end :D

I got out of the plane, opened the arms and spread the legs.. WOW! Instead of beeing kicked all over the place with the suit (happened on the last jumps) I was flying!

A little bit after that I hear someone yelling next to me and MadJohn flies up right next to me.. We're touching for a second and then he takes off.. I follow him by changing my body position slightly, and I see TallGuy flying over to the right..

I think I am hooked.. dammit.. This was by far the coolest thing so far! I am going to jump it again next week.... untill I can fly this puppy well enough that I can be safe in a SF3... (Jumped an old Classic)

Maybe by the time the birdman boogie in Eloy comes around I'll be on "the crack" as well...

Iwan

why did you go with a classic 2? just curious

What's wrong with the Classic 2? That's what I just bought too.

Nothing, it is an absoultely great suit for someone to start on and get used to flying before moving up to the other suits which require more control to fly efficiently.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Yeah, Mad John is very proficient in his GTi, and he took my SF3 out for a spin.

It got his attention. He found it took a LOT more physical strength to fly it maxed. I was buried teaching ground school and trying to get more RW in this weekend so I offered to let him jump it if he wanted and his comment was "Not until I spend more time in the gym".

Getting a classic or a GTi for a first suit is a great idea. I got an SF3 while I had the money to get one.

What's wrong with the Classic 2? That's what I just bought too.

i didnt say anything was wrong... just asked why she went with it, thats all chill out
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

I'm chilled bro...

I guess a better way to put it would have been "Why not go with a Classic 2?"

I didn't really do much research before I bought it. It looked like it would fit and I wanted one so I just bought it.

If there was something wrong with it, I wanted to know before I jumped it....

na bro, its a great first suit,

hell i put 50-60 jumps on mine..

maybe thats why i went from that to a SF3...

most people jump a classic a few times and get a gti...

but dont listen to me
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

>maybe thats why i went from that to a SF3...

Then promptly cutaway after like 3 SF3 jumps :P

The Classic2 is an incredible wing that skilled flyers can get into the 50's pushing it. The GTi is a more all around suit thats kinda your every day suit and the SF1 and SF3 are your ultra high proformance suits designed for people that are going to be jumping them every weekend and pushing the limits of human flight. The S3 when flying alone is incredible, but in a flock you only fly as well as your weakest flyer. Some one who rules in a Classic2 can easly out fly someone that sucks in a S3.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

no it was 2... get it right. It was a combination of the container and packing bro that did the line twists... video dont lie

after i got the BM mod, all was groovy, now with 30-40+ sf3 jumps

add: PS sometimes shit happens no matter what you do. saftey is #1, but being a saftey freak... well i will leave it alone, but hell ur jumping outa a plane. there are inherint dangers that we all accept...
Leroy

Maybe by the time the birdman boogie in Eloy comes around I'll be on "the crack" as well...

Iwan

Why wait till then, come on down to the memorial/ wingsuit boogie at Perris. It should be a little more wingsuit-suitable. Less skydiver traffic overall but more wingsuit traffic and wingsuit specific related activities. Our pilots work very well with the extra needs of wingsuit flyers. You will not be disappointed.

For $400 you got in cheap. New suits are from 700- 1200. Some people have several and keep buying more. For your price you got alot of drug for the money.
But to get the most from your investment be creative, join flocks. You get out what you put in. Don't just bore holes in the sky.

Don't down play the classic, we have technical flocks with guys in classics that really work the S-3 flyers equally.

Remember body type and skill play an equal role in performance. I would rather fly with current classic pilot that has their heart into it than the casual S-3 owner who just puts it on his or her rig for the occasional flight.

Don't down play the classic, we have technical flocks with guys in classics that really work the S-3 flyers equally.

i didnt downplay the classic. I was JUST asking her why she chose it.
Leroy

For $400 you got in cheap. New suits are from 700- 1200. Some people have several and keep buying more. For your price you got alot of drug for the money.
But to get the most from your investment be creative, join flocks. You get out what you put in. Don't just bore holes in the sky.

Thanks. I figured it was a pretty good deal. It fits like it was made for me and it's in really good shape.

Joining Flocks will be tough though. This will be the only one at our DZ. Hopefully some of my friends will try it and decide to buy their own.

Most of the people seem to think it's a bad idea though. I brought it to safety day and they said it looks like a body bag... They kind of sound like my whuffo friends did when I started jumping... "Dude, you're gonna die....".

Did you guys get alot of that when you first started flying them?

Tony that suit looks CLEAN. We were buying old Bird-man demos for 500 bucks and I've seen basket cases that were still flyable go for 300. All of them still a good bargain. You can't buy a good used canopy for the price. Your picture backs up my statement.

Don't worry about the other DZ naysayers. many people are barely comfortable in their own skin in freefall, let alone nylon wings. Those that dare know how natural it really is.

As far as flocking partners Phree is quite the midwest rover. I don't know if he gets up your way or not though.

If you can make it to Rantoul or any of the other summer boogies that will either have bird-man or other flockers it will worth your time in sheer enjoyment. Then the true power of your new drug will be realized.

As far as flocking partners Phree is quite the midwest rover. I don't know if he gets up your way or not though.

I'm actually tossing around the idea of going up towards Chicago and the winter expo this weekend to do some flocking. :)
I've still got to get my Classic2 loaner suit back.. but I can tear up the sky in that thing. Its tight on me, but its still enough that all but the slowest person in my flock can pull away from me in it.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Did you guys get alot of that when you first started flying them?

Yes, I did as I only had about 220 jumps when I started with wingsuits. A bunch of us got started at the same time, most had between 300 and 500 jumps. Almost exclusively they all fly bigger spectre canopys. So I got more than my fare share of you are going to die, not from them but others on the DZ. Since I had the fewest jumps and am on a smallish elliptical. Now fast forward several hundred jumps a good portion on wingsuits and its all good. I get some good remarks about my flights now instead of you are going to die sucker.