J-Rock

Dynamic Corners?

I have a G3 and have heard of people getting their rigs modified with dynamic corners, just wondering if anyone out there has pictures of this mod so that i can take to a friend that is a master rigger. I also was curious if it was more than just undoing the seams in the corners of the container? Thanks for any help that you all can give, JRock

Im gonna need a bigger hammer....

Opening the main corners on your Mirage for wing suit jumps can be done by any experienced rigger.

Invert the unpacked main container, and put a bar tack in the bottom (see pic).

Then carefully removing the FF stitching that holds the corner in place, down to the bar tack.

After doing the mod, you may find that it will take a little more attention during packing.

I hope this helps.
//
Bjorn
d.d.s.

Opening the main corners on your Mirage for wing suit jumps can be done by any experienced rigger.

I've had no problem with my G4.1 the way it is. Nor my Infinty's. I'm not a fan of the dynamic corners.

Oh, and that's some pretty wild Tie Dye there man.... looks good...
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Rob (from Morpheus) advised me that getting the bridle lengthened was much more important than the dynamic corners .. and I've found that to be true. I still have the original corners on my old, old Javelin. Try a longer bridle and if you still have problems go for the corners mod.

J-Rock.. let me know who is doing the Mod for you. I need to have it done also. Morphous sells the corner kits for less then $50. I've thought about doing it myself, but if you have someone local.. let me know.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I was going to have Jerry at SSK do it or like you i can probaby do it myself though i just lazy right at the moment, but i think im going to go ahead and get a different pilotchute first, also thanks to everyone for you help and the good answers!

Im gonna need a bigger hammer....

I was told by the master rigger of a certain manufacture that all that is done is pulling the seam apart and tackin' the bottom of the main pack tray, (*In more words than that, or course, but that is the jist of it) I took out the threading of the corners of the main pack tray and it has worked beautifully. I am not a rigger, therefore, maybe my thoughts are not welcome here. But, it is not a difficult mod. I have found it necessary to do this on very small containers that house very small mains. I did not have the mod when jumping a Stiletto 97 and proceeded to have a really nice spinner even though I deployed in probably what I would call, "The most stable deployment I have ever had". I actually felt the bag get hung up on the corners.

During that incident, I DID have the extended Bridle and larger P/C so I am going to hand out the theory that the dynamic corners do well WITH ME! (*Of course, everyone is different.)

"Sure, those Golf Carts may look all warm and fuzzy, but they WILL take a chunk out of your ass!"

I got away with jumping an unmodified Jav (actually two of them) for a long time with only a long bridle, but still had a couple of hesitations, even packing pin to grommet. On a "square corner" rig such as a Javelin or Gus's superfly, I would absolutely recommend the mod that Morpheus does. I still can't figure out why they didn't do Gus's rig for him when he was in Z-hills.... On rigs with "wrap-around" bottoms, like my Wings, newer Mirages, and Voodoos, simply cutting the seam down and making sure the bottom corner retains a bit of structure is a no-brainer. None of those companies charge anything for that when you order them new.

I still can't figure out why they didn't do Gus's rig for him when he was in Z-hills....

Rob was talking about the difference in how corners are constructed/sewed although I have to admit I didn't really get it at the time - and now I just can't remember. It may have been to do with the corners not wrapping at all.

Not that it really matters any more. I should have my smack-booty EXT with me in 45 days :)
Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

Wings EXT! Represent!

Represent! We don't see that many Wings over here (in the UK, at my dz at least) but the ones I've seen looked good and the BM mods on the one you had at zhills looked very tidy. Can't wait.

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

Word to the wise....check your new Wings rig over before you jump it. They make a nice rig, and they are good people, but the QC process was seriously lacking on my rig....to the point of guaranteed mals.

On dynamic corners, Rob from Morpheus does a great job with them. My base rig has their dynamic corners. It's a little harder to pack, but do-able.

Kevin from Bombproof Rigging probably has the best dynamic corners on the market today....his design is the most advanced so far. However, Morpheus' design works just fine. Just make sure the corners are folded inward against the side of the container rather than the bottom of the container.

Cya.
(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

How should the cut on a Mirage G3 be?
Mine is cut about an inch down by a rigger....?
Different cuts on different rigs?

Still don't have the longer bridle but thinks that must be the next since i had a couple of twists!

I was told by Mirage to cut down the corners to within one inch of the bottom and secure it with a bar-tack stitch or a zig-zag if no bar-tack machine is available.

This applies to the G3.

Hope that helps.
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

I really don't want to deviate from this dynamic corner thread, nor do I want to get into great detail about the two flaws discovered on my rig, so if you want the full story, email me.

Let's just say there was a serious grommet mis-strike that snuck past QC, along with some missing backpad stitching that was very visible. The grommet mis-strike would have produced a mal in less than 25 jumps IMHO.

I like my Wings rig, and might even consider buying another one in the future.....maybe. Either way, Sunrise fixed it and all is well. I sometimes hate to say I found a problem with Company X's products, but in our sport, if something is not built properly then it can be deadly. This is the first time I've mentioned this situation online.

I mainly brought this point up in conversation because many flockers use this type of harness/container and not everyone will thoroughly inspect a new system. We sometimes assume a new rig is built perfectly.....

PS. About 4 months ago, Moe Viletto discovered a B-12 that was installed backwards on my Wingsuit BASE harness/container. It was not the "hook/latch" part of the B-12, but the other mating part. Backwards loading of the B-12 allowed all the stresses to be forced upon a weaker part of the system. The bottom line is that new gear needs to be fully inspected by the owner!

First time I've heard of poor QC for a Wings. Do you mind be a bit more specific?

(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

I'm purchasing a used Vector 3 which I plan to use predominately for wingsuit jumps. But it'll also come in handy for doing back to back loads at the end of the day (or back to back during boogies). So here's my question(s):

1) Should I look into getting the dynamic corner mod (and will the mod negatively effect non-wingsuit jumps).

2) Should I look into picking up a longer (9 ft?) bridle?

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Vector III's have wrap-around corners, so cutting the inside seam down would work just like on a Wings or Mirage and would, in my opinion, be accomplished the same way. Yes, you should also get a long bridle if you plan on using this as your primary wingsuit rig. Can you get away without doing any of this? Sure, but what's the point? Using "the right tool for the job" makes sense.

I jump a Wings with open corners for regular jumps. Not a biggy. Also IMO it closes virtually the same. I have a 28" PC and I forgot to order the longer bridle but I will have 2 feet added before I start jumping a wing suit.

There are people out there who jump with the three mods (no-corners, 28", 9 feet) on regular non-wing jumps without any problems.

And Jason thanks for the reply!
Memento Audere Semper

Seems like you only did step 1 of a 2 step process. All the mods I have seen to open the corners also involved bartacking it lower. Sounds like you didnt do that?

That is correct. I did not have the lower portion bartacked and it works fine. If anyone knows of a bad side to this, feel free to inform me of it. I handle corrective critizism very well.

"Sure, those Golf Carts may look all warm and fuzzy, but they WILL take a chunk out of your ass!"

Well, the Mfg are the best folks to contact. Or talk again to the rigger who gave you the advice in the first place.

My rigger has done this on someone's older mirage, and it was obvious that a bartack was needed to prevent undue stress on the flap to backpad stitches when packed. Other rigs may not require the same, but my guess is that they do.

j