CanuckInUSA

Spectre as a wingsuit canopy

I'm thinking of putting together a 2nd rig which I will somewhat dedicate towards wingsuit flights. But I do find myself in some sort of strange discom-bob-ulated circumstance in which I will be selling my current container (capable of flying a 170 main and 193 reserve) to buy a new primary rig (and my current container would be a great wingsuit rig but a friend really wants/needs it more than me). Now I have a line on a used Javelin which appears to be coming on the market soon, is priced well, fits my body and appears to be in good shape. But I'm looking at needing to use a smaller main and a smaller reserve canopy. Anyway, I was originally thinking of putting a Sabre2 150 or Saffire2 149 in it if I buy it. But then it dawn on me, why not put a Spectre 150 in it (loaded at a few hairs above 1.4:1) and get used to flying a smallish 7-celled canopy (similar to my wing loading on these new smaller reserves I find myself soon to fly). This Javelin won't be my swooping container (especially jumping wingsuits) so why not practice accuracy with the Spectre and Swooping with my Crossfire2.

So here's the question:

I can't for the life of me think why a Spectre wouldn't be a good canopy for wingsuit flights. But maybe there's some reason unknown to myself why a Spectre is not good flying a wingsuit loaded a few hairs above 1.4:1? Nah say it ain't so ...

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I fly Spectres loaded at about 1.7. No problems at all.

Some advice that I got, and have heeded is to have all my equipment match. So I have two Spectre 150's and PDR143's in both of them.

This way I only need one set of reactions, which is good for my feeble mind.

When I was jumping both the Spectre 170 and the 150 I crashed myself REAL good doing a 170 approach to final under the 150. BLAM!

That bit of unsolicited advice done with, yes the Spectre is fine for Birdman.

I know what you mean in terms of matching canopies in a 2nd rig. But I'm not planning on doing the same sort of jumps (for the most part) with these two rigs. My primary rig will be for freeflying, tracking and swooping and this second rig will be mainly a wingsuit rig (with it occasionally used when I want to do back to backs). Anyway, I'm thinking of having two completely different mindsets for the two rigs. One is for swooping and one is for accuracy. But I digress ...

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

A Spectre is a great wingsuit canopy, Steve. As to jumping several very-different canopies, I do it all the time. My time is equally spent under a Velocity 79, a Sabre2 97, and a Sigma 370 tandem main.

Chuck

Yes, Monouno, but that is you. My idea of multitasking is holdiing the steak still with the fork while cutting it with the knife.

I have found that "any" canopy the you dont have to grab and steer with your risers though opening, is a good canopy for a wingsuit.
Though my 80VX loaded 2.4:1 tends to start into a spin when I unzip my legs, any larger canopy that wont turn with alittle harness input will be just fine.;)
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

All five of my birdman jumps have been with a Spectre 150 loaded at just under 1.4
on the first jump I forgot to close my leg wing, and it
still opened on heading,"loudiamond" was my BMI
I've even opened in a full track to see if it would slam me
and it opened soft as usual.( Voodoo harness)
Got over 550 jumps on spectre 170/150, only had one
hard opening, probably packing error.

andrewB|

on the first jump I forgot to close my leg wing, and it
still opened on heading,"

And how many times did I tell you to make sure you closed your leg wing down all the way while we were on the ground? But did you listen? NOOOOOOOOOO;) No sweat, it's all good. You did great as the base for the 16 way so you are forgiven:D
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Another canopy question.
Any opinion about crossfire canopy for birdman? The size is 119.
I have over 1000 jumps on that one and the openings are so consistent. i thing there should be no problem jumping it with the suit. What do you think?

Generally the reccommendation is to avoid ellipticals for your first few dozen Birdman jumps. I've used my Jedei from the first BM jump till my 105th one last week. Just be prepared to chop it more frequently then a less agressive canopy.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I have over 100 wingsuit jumps with a Crossfire 1 129 loaded 1.85 to 1. I have never had any problems and find their openning great for wingsuit fling. I currently have a Crossfire 2 that I use for wingsuit flying and other than doing some unwanted hip turns while unzipping I love it. As someone else stated fully eliptical canopies are not reccommended for wingsuit flying but in the end it is up to the individual. I would recommend learning to fly and deploy with a square canopy before using your Crossfire. I did over 50 wingsuit jumps on a square before switching.
Kirk

I've put a few jumps on the Spectre and it reminded me of my old CruisAir I jumped in the early 1980's .. a far cry from a modern 9 cell in flight performance and landing. I just bought a new canopy with Birdsuit jumps in mind. After jumping the PD Sabre2, BigAir Lotus, PD Spectre and Aerodyne Pilot (4 jumps each, back to back) I settled on the Pilot. Great openings and real 9 cell performance and landing. So while the Spectre would certainly be a good choice for BirdMan jumps, there are other choices... check 'em out before you plunk down the money.

Another canopy question.
I have over 1000 jumps on that one and the openings are so consistent. i thing there should be no problem jumping it with the suit. What do you think?

I think in your case, based on what you are telling us, that it will work for you. The problem in aggressive canopys for wingsuits comes when someone is hit or miss on that main then they add the demands of deploying a canopy they haven't mastered in regular freefall to the realm of deploying it from a wingsuit.

Your first handfull of wingsuit jumps shouldn't have to be about the canopy combination. You should be very in tune with how your parachute opens and behaves or missbehaves. And you should have already have bagged the experience to deal with it if it does. Your first bunch of wingsuit jumps should be CONSUMED with flying your body in this otherwise new area of muscle memory, sensational feedback and incredible visuals ( it is really not that foreign and for some people it is very natural). But more importantly you must deploy in such a smooth, stable and symmetrical body position. This should be your focus on deployment nuttin else.

You are no longer a flat plate plunging straight down. Your gliding forward through the air. Your burble is much bigger, taller and wider. Hell, look at the movies of Robert's base jump with smoke on the BM website, when you deploy you even want your vorticeses to be symmetrical. Looking the same on one side of your body as they are on the other side.

Another canopy question.

Pavel,

Nice to see you here - we lost contact after the last UAQ boogie we were both at - and I think you changed your email address.

I've left the Middel East and am living back in Australia now.These days I pretty well skydive only wingsuit (with Spectre, hahaha).

Come visit. My home is your home.

PM me your new contact details.

Blue Skies,

fergsB|

Hi Steve --

I have just over a thousand jumps on a Spectre 170. And a handful of jumps on a Spectre 150 that I have in a dedicated 2nd rig for wingsuit flights. I think it's an awesome canopy for wingsuit flights!

I can honestly say that a Spectre is one of the most forgiving parachutes out there during the opening sequence.

Blue Skies,

Bryan