Professor

Back flying questions

I've got a Classic, and I've been told that backflying w/ it is going to be very different than standard back tracking. I'd like to give it a try, so what should I be looking for? Any tips on how to get started, or proper body position?

Thanks

Ted
Like a giddy school girl.

<----- See picture for reference ;).

I won't say it will be completly unfamiliar if you have done any back flying already but it is slightly different. I like to use the "roll over" technique. As soon as I intiate the roll by bringing one wing in and rolling, I stop it about half way so as to not over rotate. Once on your back you will need to apply pressure downwards with your wings and arch(lift hips towards the sky) On the larger suits, keeping your wings taught can be a chore and it gets tiring holding the correct body position for a long time. You will sink out quicker than a normal wingsuit flight regardless of how hard you are flying. The best way to learn is to just do it. Looking towards your tail wing also tends to de arch your body and make your flight less efficient. If you can continue to look straight up it works better.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I had little luck flying on my back with my Classic, but no problem at all with my SF3. The problem with the Classic was that it very much wanted to go into a dive when on my back; arms-out didn't help much. About the only thing that worked for me was to go arms-out as much as possible and bend at the waist to get the leg wing up. I didn't get much of a glide but I was at least stable.

Does anyone have any good (bigger then LouDiamonds thumbnail:) pictures of a good backflying position.

Been doing a lot of birdman jumps lately, and started playing with barrelrolls/flips and backflying in my S3.
I can fly stable on my back, but still need to be a bit feet/leg-high to prevent myself from going headdown. pushing my leg-wing down to a flat (or even de-arched) possition throws me toward a dive (on my back)
I'm basicly flying as the attached sketch (yes I was bored:))

I think the problem is in me trying to keep the arm-wing tight (and thereby just stretching my arms out without pushing my elbows 'up')

But a good picture of 'how it should be done' would be great!
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I have found that pushing back or downward with your arms while pulling your wing taunt with your wing grippers cups the air on the S3 and stops you from going head down.
Also arching with your hips will make the air flow over the front of you and bring the air into your center legwing inlet making it inflate almost as much as if you were belly to earth.
Sorry I dont have a pic, but no one with a camera on has been able to stay up with me when I am on my back......:P

-
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

Sorry I dont have a pic, but no one with a camera on has been able to stay up with me when I am on my back......

No worries, I have video of you doing some of your "back flying" on the jump with GK Kurt I.:D :P
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I have here two captures of Andy Ford doing backflying. I think he is the best backflyer I have ever seen. Note that the other flyers are flying in a quite efficient flying position even though the "rabbit" is on his back.

Vesa

"Fear is the path to the Dark side"
(Master Yoda)

I think he is the best backflyer I have ever seen.

He certainly is. When he arches his back too he can outfly most people on the front!

A couple more illustrations 1 2

Would like to get a really good side shot of it!
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

Try to avoid sketch 1 often if you are filming or looking at others you will default to this position and loose your efficiency. Try to maintain sketch 3 as best as possible and you'll notice a big difference.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING