lawrocket

Dogfighting in BM suits?

Maybe it wouldn't be safe or maybe there would be other problems with it. I'm no birdman (hell, I don't even have my "A" yet), so maybe this is stupid.

But has anyone ever tried dogfighting in BM suits? I know it would be difficult to prove anything, but maybe have a couple of camera fliers try to center the reticle for two seconds or something.

Could the suits (or the birdmen?) handle those capabilities safely?

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Dogfighting? That would be incredibly careless. The main safety concern in a wingsuit, other than at pull time, is making sure you don't run head-first into another jumper. You see, in a wingsuit you don't have any way to protect your head (other than a helmet). One of the fist thing we as BM-I's teach is to only make slight turns in proximity to other people to prevent these types of collisions. Do we, as experienced flyers, fly circles around each other in extremely close proximity? Absolutely, but not at the expense of safety.

Chuck

Like laser tag in the sky? BWAAAAHHHH... I will kill you with my mega wide angle lens until you are dead. :D Some how I don't think that will catch on, but hey, I could be wrong.......BWAAAHH:D
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

sounds like fun to me!

Chris

I can see instances where it would be a hoot, but in sort of a flag football context. See who can fly up and take the streamers off your feet or something like that. Chris is among the small posse of people that I would play with in that manner.

Chuck

with my camera suit and huge wings I can get down to 85ish without trying... well thats what the protrack says....

added:
maybe if I could get down to 65 or 70 with bigger camera wingsuit, and find another person or 3 with the same ability... this might be a possibility...

even more added:

this might be fun if you had classic suits....
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

This is something that I've thought about since even before I'd ever jumped a suit, but seems all the more fitting now...

Back in the "olden days", sky-writers would actually "draw" the words which made up their advertisments by flying their planes around the sky. Now-a-days however, sky writing is done by a pixel method, wherein short bursts of smoke are released from tubes extending from the wings of the plane.
See Attachment:
What if, a skywriting plane were flying, in close enough proximity to jump run and made "smoke rings" at say every 1000' apart vertically, and about 500 or so feet apart horizontally? On the ground it would look like a bunch of O's but from the sky, it'd look like a freakin' playground.

Anybody know a skywriter?

SMD7

that would be brilliant, but then my guess is that it would be a royal pain in the ass to get any type of usable separation. It would be cheaper, in my opinion, to rig some type of drogue, but who knows. Still, BirdMan pylon races would be fantastic.

Hey Charles,;)
it was cool hanging with ya this weekend!

I was thinking the same thing as Motherhucker with the FF tubes and all then you posed this good question so I thought about it and came up with this solution...
Just have 2 planes flying a set distance apart (quarter mile, half mile, whatever). I figured you could have four BM's and 2 pylons. 2 BM's and a pylon flyer in each plane exiting at the same time or maybe the pylon flyers out first? My question is this...
Are you going to take the big easy arcing turn or are ya gonna staight line it then slam on the brakes and put it in reverse??:ph34r:

Jason
BASE 570

The pylon flyers could act as judges too, making sure the BM aren't too high or too low, causing a DQ.