fungi3001

landing

It is similar to the space shuttle. Large, heavy vehicle with hardly any wing. The reason it can fly is powerful engines give plenty of forward speed.

ahhhhhhhh....
ummmmmmmmmm.....
let's see the the shuttle is a GLIDER when landing....
so find a new analogy......;)
What about the flying squirl?????
has anyone looked at it's wingloading????????
HAVE FUN...
...JUST DONT DIE

What about the flying squirl?????
has anyone looked at it's wingloading????????

What about flying monkeys? has anyone EVEN considered the wingloading of a flying monkey?
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I saw a monkey fly into the window at the zoo recently and do a bit of damage to itself. They were chasing each other around by "running" along the chain link walls and ceiling of their exhibit thingy about 20+ feet up. Horizontally, they were moving very fast. When one tried to hop from the top of a wall up to the ceiling at a fairly high speed, missing and slamming head first into the glass right in front of us, then falling about fifteen feet.

We thought it was dead or something. It didn't move for a bit... just sort of sat there, then someone came in a picked it up after a few people freaked out about this monkey that just knocked itself out on a glass wall. It was awesome.

Point of the story, monkeys have a pretty high wingloading.
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

Jesus, I'd have to dig it up, get some decent video cap gear and feed it to my pc. It IS a wild video we got shots of my old friend chris getting dumped off the front of the boat cause the owner reversed the throttle....Chris came up with melted cigarette in one hand, waterlogged beer still in the other hand....gotta have priorities. We sat around and watched the video repeatedly with this attitude like "Dude we gotta show this to your mom, she'll freak." When you ride the tube it looks all stable and shit, but when you lose it theres no warning....just mounting g's and then BAM! Tube dumps you and you skip....
Live and learn... or die, and teach by example.

okay heres why i wont do it.. I dont have much mony,and my suit is white.. meaning i hate to get it dirty,and i think i migth would get grass on my knees while landing it..:ph34r:but hey if any gives me a new suit by my choise i would like to get comfortabel by it and land it(no time limit rigth.. he he)

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

We thought it was dead or something. It didn't move for a bit... just sort of sat there, then someone came in a picked it up after a few people freaked out about this monkey that just knocked itself out on a glass wall. It was awesome.

Point of the story, monkeys have a pretty high wingloading.

Well I think it's safe to say worse results will happen if a human attempts to land one of todays suits and there will be more than grass stains on the suit;)
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Have not been on for while however I was recently at Empuria and jumping with some Ukranian guys. No names though I could get hold of them but this has been done, a russian on a base jump pitched to late and reached line stretch as he landed. However the canopy remained in the bag as he had now landed. Apparently he broke both legs from intial impact and some ribs but survived and is back jumping.

The guy tellign me this info is well respected and not open to talking bull.

I shall try to get some more info on this however it has apparently been doen, so please can we stop posting this.

Personally i am more interested in taking off.B|

Cheers

Fraser

Dont just talk about it, Do it!

Have not been on for while however I was recently at Empuria and jumping with some Ukranian guys. No names though I could get hold of them but this has been done, a russian on a base jump pitched to late and reached line stretch as he landed. However the canopy remained in the bag as he had now landed. Apparently he broke both legs from intial impact and some ribs but survived and is back jumping.

The guy tellign me this info is well respected and not open to talking bull.

I shall try to get some more info on this however it has apparently been doen, so please can we stop posting this.

Personally i am more interested in taking off.B|

Cheers

Fraser

oh that's bullshit

(sorry i had to)

:D

If someone pulls it off, I'll gladly eat my words.

Start eating.

A Russian jumper landed a wingsuit and survived last year in France (it was an accidental landing). He required spinal surgery, but walked out of the hospital about a week later. He's probably the toughtest sonuvabitch I've ever met, though. I think he's descended directly from Rasputin.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

...a russian on a base jump pitched to late and reached line stretch as he landed...

oh that's bullshit

(sorry i had to)

:D

It's really not bullshit. I know the guy. I've seen his scars.

His slider was still stowed in the pack job, meaning that he had pretty much zero deceleration from the canopy.

Seriously, it's not bullshit.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Apparently he broke both legs from intial impact and some ribs but survived and is back jumping.

BWAHHHHH you expect people to believe that is all that happened? Did they guy land in a field full of whipped cream too? If there isn't video, it didn't happen;)

Would this base jump happen to be from about 30-40 feet maybe? I'd believe the legs and line stretch thing then.

This raises another question. Does crashing constitute landing?
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

BWAHHHHH you expect people to believe that is all that happened?

Believe what you want. He was in intensive care and required major reconstructive neurosurgery. But he lived, and he's jumping again.

If there isn't video, it didn't happen;)

Since he travels almost everywhere with camera, I'd bet there is video. I'd also bet he's not letting it out without getting paid handsomely--he's no one's fool.

Would this base jump happen to be from about 30-40 feet maybe?

The cliff height is approximately 1150'. I've jumped it numerous times.

Based on (pun intended) my knowledge of (a) the site, (b) the landing area (c) the jumper in questions, (d) his flight skills, (e) his personal fortitude, and (f) his honesty, I'd say it's a 100% certainty that this really happened.

If he was just making the story up, he'd be be out publicizing it. He's actually kind of embarrassed to talk about the whole incident (he did, after all, basically lose altitude awareness trying to get over the landing area).
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Let me say that if this did happen I by no means wish for anyone to think I am laughing at his unfortunate experience. I would , however like to see the video if and when he decides to release it to the masses.

Again, this raises the question , is crashing considered landing? If that is the case then this has been done a few times already.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Let me say that if this did happen I by no means wish for anyone to think I am laughing at his unfortunate experience. I would , however like to see the video if and when he decides to release it to the masses.

Again, this raises the question , is crashing considered landing? If that is the case then this has been done a few times already.

Uh crashing and crashing and "walking away" from it are two different things

Uh crashing and crashing and "walking away" from it are two different things

I take it your basing this on your own personal experiences? BWAAAAAHHHHH (sorry, inside joke);)
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Maybe landing a BM isnt possible, or maybe it is. All I ask is not to try to squah "someones" dream. That is the worst sin, to talk a person out of their dreams. What happened to the people that thought like you did about the first airplane flights? You see where I am going... Maybe it isn't, Maybe it is possible...just let it be
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

Maybe landing a BM isnt possible, or maybe it is. All I ask is not to try to squah "someones" dream. That is the worst sin, to talk a person out of their dreams. What happened to the people that thought like you did about the first airplane flights? You see where I am going... Maybe it isn't, Maybe it is possible...just let it be

Couldnt agree more.....;)
HAVE FUN...
...JUST DONT DIE

Presumably, you would need wings as large as a hang-glider, which I am guessing is why they are able to
land without assistance. You can't take away 95% of the wing and expect a survivable landing. It is similar
to the space shuttle. Large, heavy vehicle with hardly any wing. The reason it can fly is powerful engines
give plenty of forward speed. You don't have engines, so you'll have to get your forward speed by falling
fast enough.

Well the shuttle does not use its engines on re-entery...Its a big, heavy, fast ass glider. So your shuttle argument actually feeds the idea that a WS could be landed.

I personally don't think it can be...At least with out dying.

At least not yet.

But your argument was flawed.

Ron
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

A Russian BASE jumper did, in fact, survive a wingsuit landing without a parachute, but just barely. Broken legs and damage to his spine. Not sure what the mal was... maybe PC in tow, but he definitely flew his WS all the way down. People have survived the same without a WS, but I can't help but think that the slow descent did aide in his survival.
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

A Russian BASE jumper did, in fact, survive a wingsuit landing without a parachute, but just barely. Broken legs and damage to his spine. Not sure what the mal was... maybe PC in tow, but he definitely flew his WS all the way down. People have survived the same without a WS, but I can't help but think that the slow descent did aide in his survival.

OK, I thought it was agreed on that simply crashing into the earth and surviving does not constitue a landing. Many people have done that in and out of BM suits. A actual landing is 1. the intent of the flyer and 2. something that doesn't require an ambulance or medical attention to walk away from. Otherwise an unintentional crash/survival could be construed as a landing, which is BS
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Yo !

This is mostly correct - the jumper in question almost landed a suit. He did however get the line stretch (slider still in the rubber band on C line) that stood him up. He did not brake his legs, only knocked out some teeth with his knees and dug rather large holes in the ground. He did brake his back and is now jumping with a complex titanium construction in his lower spine (very cool Terminator x-ray). It was a very low pull and a lot of luck after that.

bsbd!

Yuri.