mr2mk1g

What would you do: Damn Slow Sunpath

I ordered one in the beginning of April. It was due this week.Checked on Tuesday and the reply was 8 more weeks. I think the analogy with Harley is right on.
Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.

>>What qualifications do you need? Master rigger?
>>
>
>I believe so.

I'm fairly certain that that is not the case. You don't need to have a rigger's qualification to be able to get certain stages of building a rig right. It's basically just assembly work I think. You don't need to understand how the completed product works and how the different parts interact. That said, I'm sure they have several riggers overseeing the work and doing quality control.

Food for thought. I have spent some time inside Sun Path and I can tell you that they are anything but slow. They actually have a very nice production line and they crank out a seamingly unbeleivable number of rigs a day. One possible reason they have such long delay times at the moment is perhaps because they are building the most popular rig in the world. and for good reason.This fact will only help you when it comes time to sell your gear. Thats probobly the last thing on your mind right now, but it is somthing to think about. concider the resale value of say..... a dolphin. I'll bet you could get one of those pretty damn quick. I know that this dosn't help when you want your new toy, but if you can be patent I think you'll be happy when it arrives.
P.S. No I'm not sponsored by Sun Path

What qualifications do you need? Master rigger?

Actually, you don't need to be a rigger at all. As long as you are working for a manufacturer, anyone can sew harnesses or any other part of the container. Kinda scary huh?

-OK
Time flies like an arrow....fruit flies like a banana

They are putting out 50 rigs a week. Thats with a lot of staff and a lot of work. I ordered my odyssey and got a date of december. I dont want any other rig so I'll wait for the one I want. Plus I knew I wanted one so I ordered it earlier than I needed it,

Thats like 2400 rigs a year. Who is buying all those. Everyone I know is poor B|

PS I got a Vector 3. Not cuz the wait for a Javelin was longer. I got it cuz thats the one I wanted B|

Actually, you don't need to be a rigger at all. As long as you are working for a manufacturer, anyone can sew harnesses or any other part of the container. Kinda scary huh?

Not really scary, as long as QC is good...but that is where a couple manufacturers slip sometimes. and I'd be surprised if all those older ladies that I saw sewing away at sunpath the last time I was there were 'master' riggers..

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....

Actualy none. The person must be under the supervision of an apropriately rated rigger, or manufacturer!

That's right, techicaly a manufacturer does not even need to have a rigging ticket.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

And these big sellers had to order the rigs because why? Because the lead time is so long people won't wait (order), and these sellers need stock rigs on their shelves early next year. If they had a 4-6 week lead time, these big sellers would not likely order so many at a time. They may have also stocked up on rigs because of the unreasonable price increase coming up.
Sunpath is just trying to cash in, which wouldn't be such a problem if they would get off their asses and make the rigs!
I wanted an Odyssey, but I'll buy a Mirage for more money. They odyssey is a great rig, but I am not rewarding Sunpath for their behavior with another order. The comment above about resale is just about right on though, but that is comparing a Javeling with a dolphin, not a Mirage or Vector (or a few other great manufacturers).
Troy
Troy

I am now free to exercise my downward mobility.

Actualy none. The person must be under the supervision of an apropriately rated rigger, or manufacturer!

That's right, techicaly a manufacturer does not even need to have a rigging ticket.

Imagine what it would cost to buy a container if everyone on the line had to have a rigging ticket. You think they're expsneive now?

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

Food for thought. I have spent some time inside Sun Path and I can tell you that they are anything but slow. They actually have a very nice production line and they crank out a seamingly unbeleivable number of rigs a day. One possible reason they have such long delay times at the moment is perhaps because they are building the most popular rig in the world. and for good reason.This fact will only help you when it comes time to sell your gear. Thats probobly the last thing on your mind right now, but it is somthing to think about. concider the resale value of say..... a dolphin. I'll bet you could get one of those pretty damn quick. I know that this dosn't help when you want your new toy, but if you can be patent I think you'll be happy when it arrives.
P.S. No I'm not sponsored by Sun Path

If they had better customer service with real people skills, they would still be a company I would consider buying a new rig from them and be ok with the long wait. I understand they are busy, but they need to treat their customers better on the phone, and in person. There are at least two gear stores that make the same mistake and that reputation can kill a company.

Well... I fired off a few e-mail to them over the last couple of weeks - still no reply

I got a reply from Sun Rise rigging who make the Wings container within minutes.

I just ordered a Wings... nuf said

You'll like it for sure!!! Smart decision!

"We see the world just the way we are...

Yeah well, i mailed with SunPath a couple of times and the answers usually came within a day or two.
So from my experience, they usually reply pretty fast.

Just recently it took a little longer, thought about getting a Wings or a Mirage.
Yesterday Sunpath mailed me to have them called by my dealer to see what they could do for me because i don't have a container now and don't wanna wait. Didn't get any more info yet, though, will keep you posted.
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

"Fat Cat Syndrome" ? - happens often to market leaders. They get complacent and things turn bad very quickly after that...

Yes, but sunpath is slow now because they have a huge military contract, not because they made a lot of money and let themselves suck.

I believe they know that in the short term they might lose customers over delivery issues, but on the plus side, the influx of money from this contract will fuel more research and development and improved production facilities such that they will continue to be able to make a top quality product in years to come and will eventually gain back any market share they have lost.

I would save myself some time and cash and buy an Infinity. Small company, excellent product and product support. Or, if I wanted to spend a little more cash I would buy a Voodoo or a Talon 3. I really like Rigging Innovations products and customer service.

I have owned Sunpath for the last 10 years and had the same issue of wait time. I still have 2 Odyssey's which I absolutely love but I ordered a Mirage G4.1 and couldn't be happier. It is one of the most comfortable rigs I have ever owned. My only issue is the D-Bag. What's up with that weird thing. Once I got used to that it was the best container I believe I have ever owned.

It seems to me that every DZ has a Brand that Most to all of the Members Use. For Example: At Kansas State , our students are trained on Javelins, most buy a Javelin when cleared off Student Status, and the Javelin has by far the Highest Resale Value in the area. Furthermore, Down the Street at Skydive Kansas , I see the Dolphin Container Used in Numbers i have never seen before. Look at your Dropzone, and see what everybody else is using - not to fit in with a clique, but look at resale value a few years down the road when you are looking for something else.
As for myself, i Want a Standard Javelin bad Enough, I would be more than Happy to Wait the 6 months.
=========Shaun ==========

Or, if I wanted to spend a little more cash I would buy a Voodoo or a Talon 3. I really like Rigging Innovations products and customer service.

Well put. ;) I've been demo-ing rigs and canopies for ~7 mo now, and found that Jav's aren't all they're made out to be! Why wait for almost *a year* to get a rig that's been the same since the early 90's? Why deal with the big egos?

I'm finally getting my rig... and I'm getting the best. A Talon.

I've been demo-ing rigs and canopies for ~7 mo now, and found that Jav's aren't all they're made out to be!

would you please expound on that statement?

Why wait for almost *a year* to get a rig that's been the same since the early 90's? Why deal with the big egos?

i'm terribly curious as to where you get your information (regarding the rig being the same since the early 90s). are you sure you're not making a second hand statement that you may believe to be the truth but actually is someone else's opinion? sunpath actually is building their rigs to the latest tso (d, i believe). i'd just hate for you to believe something that is truly a false statement.

regarding big egos: hmmmmm. are you talking javelin owners or the folks at sunpath or all the world champion skydivers that wear the javs? I know alot of 'em in all those categories and none fit the 'big ego' statement....sorry.

i think most rigs out there today are good rigs to buy. everyone is going to have their preference (hopefully) based upon their own opinion instead of someone else's. talons are good rigs (as are infinitys, vectors, wings, javelins, etc).

blues,
arlo

p.s. the wait time for a new javelin is not almost a *year*...it's around 20 weeks. and congrats on your talon purchase.

I really can't say enough about Rigging Innovations. Great customer service, short production time, innovative products, and really nice rigs at a reasonable price. I ordered a talon fs, and liked it so much I ordered another a week ago. I own a business and understand the high cost of a low price. But I also understand that if you don't give the customer what they want, in a timely fashion, they will go to a competetor, who will. Take a serious look at an fs, call and talk to sandy at Rigging Innovations. Order one, the only thing that your gonna miss is jumps. ;)

Not sure how this thread came back up to the top of the pile, but just incase people are still trying to answer my question there's no need.

I went ahead and ordered a Wings, I love her, she looks great, and feels wonderful. We've been together now for a few weeks. My friend who ordered an odessey at the same time as me has got to wait untill the end of Feb 04 for his rig to arrive.

(of course feel free to discuss anything else you want on here... I ain't no greenie).