DoZ3r

helmet for freefly (camera)

HEEEYAA!

Well.. I'll soon have the amount of jumps required for camera-flying, therefore I'd like to ask you which camera helmet you would recommend for freeflying...

Don't have a camera at the moment so also need some advice for a good camera...

Blue skies!
If everything seems under control.. You're just not going fast enough..!

Well i just took the plunge (on company time nonetheless!) and ordered my Camera Helmet...

Here is what I ordered so far. (I will be using a Sony HC5 HDV camera that I have yet to order.)

===============
Liquid Flatlock Liquid Flatlock USD $105.00 1 USD

BBHC7 BlackBox HC7/HC5 USD $195.00 1 USD

Liquid Lens 37mm Liquid3 x 0.29 37mm + Filter Kit USD $175.00

MXV MXV Camera Helmet USD $315.00 1 USD $315.00

Would you like your helmet painted?? Orange USD $40.00

Came Cameye2 USD $85.00 1 USD $85.00

Sub Total: USD $915.00
Shipping: USD $47.50
Total Due: USD $962.50 OUCH!!!!!!

Amazing how fast skydiving sucks the money outta my account. [:/]

Motion = Emotion

I just ordered an ffx. I asked for a pc series fit. I don't know much about cameras though. Whats good about the 1000? Can u firewire? Does it have DV Tape? So many variables...

It's a miniDV camera. The quality is really good and it does have firewire.

i'm jumping my 2k composites FF2 for more than 120 jumps now : never had any problem with it, comfort is second to none, the cam is perfectly fixed in it (velcroless) and nothing can snag in it ... expensive ... yes ... but on the long run it's the best ...
--------------------------------------------------
I never used 2 rocks to start a fire ... this is called evolution !

Not sure how serious you want to get with flying a camera. But keep the future in mind when you are selecting a helmet. This can help you prevent buying several camera helmets as your needs change.

Look for something that has several camera mounting options, both side and top mounts, or just flattened platforms for future mounting. This is important if you want to fly both a stills camera and Mini DV camcorder.

Think about where you want to mount your camera's. If your only jumping a cam corder you my want to go with a top mount, to balance the weight and remove the snap portential of a side mount.

Research the cut away mechanism.........Few people think about this, but it's impotant. I saw someone at my DZ die because their lines wrapped around their ring site, and they had no cut away systm on their camera helmet.

Think about options too.......Cam Eye, Ring Sites (I don't like them), space for 2 audible's, Full Face vs Open Face, Chin Strap vs Chin cup.

There are allot of options out there, its a matter of preference and comfort.

My choice was the Bonehead Optik. But my main discipline is freeflying, not Tandem photography.

Hope this makes you think about things.

Yeah... Sounds like something to think about... Some great advises... I'll not go for ring site.. Just wont to have a cam-helmet so i can shot some video of those, whom are shooting video of me...
If everything seems under control.. You're just not going fast enough..!

HEEEYAA!

Well.. I'll soon have the amount of jumps required for camera-flying, therefore I'd like to ask you which camera helmet you would recommend for freeflying...

Don't have a camera at the moment so also need some advice for a good camera...

Blue skies!

I jump a FF2 and it is the best design I have seen for a safe camera system. Order now because it takes a little bit to get it.;)
Some day I will have the best staff in the world!!!

I got a Rawa, but after comparing the construction and quality to the FF2 a friend has I'd wish i'd waited.

FF2 has much higher construction quality comfort, a bit more expensive, but the difference in quality is worth it.

still i'm not throwing out my Rawa it is a very nice Camera helmet as well, but the hinges and construction of the FF2 is better imo