GRU

FREEFL-IER OR FREEFL-YER WHICH IS CORRECT?

I tried Dictionary.com for you, and it wasn't much help because it found no entries. It did offer some other suggestions such as:

Free liver
Free lover
Fireflies
Freesoiler
Frivoler
Frizzlier
Ruffler

I like being a freeflyer much more than a freesoiler. That just sounds nasty, like something scared tandem passengers do. :P
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I have a small grammar problem... Can you help me which spelling is correct? Should I write freeflier or freeflyer?

thank you for answer

No one on this board knows how to spell...for that matter, no one on this board knows proper grammar.

Aggiedave told me this once...I thought he was kidding.

He wasn't
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

a quick survey of google indicates that

Flyer - tends to refer to the 'craft' or the 'pilot' most often

while

Flier - seems to refer to 'passengers on a craft', a 'remote operator' or a 'pamplet' most often

Flyer is more estheticlly pleasing imo

After reading this thread, I was looking through my new Para Gear catalog and found this about the video "The Best of Olaving":

The man who copyrighted the word Freeflying

All of the t-shirts also spelled it Freeflyer.

Probably not conclusive, just a little more evidence.

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do." Ben Franklin

They asked Olav about freeflying and he said: "'Freeflying' (tm) is a registered traidmark and every time you use the term 'Freeflying' (tm) you owe me $5."

That's why, when speaking, I always say "freeflieing" and never "freeflying (tm)". :)

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do." Ben Franklin

I attended a seminar at the BPA AGM a couple of years ago. They asked Olav about freeflying and he said: "'Freeflying' (tm) is a registered traidmark and every time you use the term 'Freeflying' (tm) you owe me $5."

Olav can kiss my 'Freeflying' ass...... :)

(tm) that......

Olav can kiss my 'Freeflying' ass...... :)

Agreed the (tm) thing is kinda silly but apparently you have never skydived with him or you might have a little more admiration for his skills.
No matter what anyone says about the (tm) the guy is still badass.
BTW, I (tm) freeflailing.:)

The thing is that Freeflight is on the downside. Now its Vertical Relative Work, which to a degree kils the idea of getting on the plane and figuring out what the hell we are going to do.

Soon we will have (or maybe already have) VRW 4-way teams...training rooms at Deland etc. We are basically getting institutionalized;)
jraf

Me Jungleman! Me have large Babalui.
Muff #3275

well wouldn't go that far..
VRW is a cool discipline - hopefully will be developed further - for some it will help the people who "dont know what to do" .

but - diving into clouds, moving free through the sky, (freefly is not headdown), ... will NOT go down for the people who can be creative in the skies!

VRW (now known officially as VFS or Vertical Formation Skydiving) is an up and coming discipline that is pushing the envelope of Freeflying and the people who participate in it.

I agree that VFS is moving toward being more formal, but in order for it to be a legitamite discipline for USPA and IPC, we have to start w/ some type of structure for judges and competitors to work off of. All disciplines (pretty much) have had to start somewhere in developing a structure to their discipline such as Formation Skydiving, Freestyle, CRW, etc.

All in all, if people tend to shy away from VFS because of their theories that it's not 'true' freeflying, then so be it. You cannot educate people on VFS flying if they are not willing to open their minds to it.

My own personal feelings about it, if people look down upon VFS and want to take it away from the Freefly genre, then it's okay w/ me. Though it makes no sense to have a narrow mind regarding this, because all those who participate in VFS are some of the best "Freeflyers" in the world. I myself love VFS and I know it's here to stay.

Usually when people criticize a specific discipline in this sport, it's typically because that person(s) cannot do it. There's no need to try and downtalk another's discipline and how it applies to a genre if you haven't gotten your feet wet in it and actually have participated in it.

I guess my point is...keep an open mind about 'big picture' and just have some fun, because that's what most of us are here to do anyway :)
Jason Jerusalem
[email protected]

One point in your post is absolutely right - I am not good enough to be good at VRW/VFS or whatever we call it. Lots of training before me - I have only recently come over to the dark side.

I know however from my lengthy RW experience that I never enjoyed the' team' thing. It is too formalized. It includes competition and judges and teams and all that comes with it. I have enough of that when I go running and that is where I enjoy it. I am not downtalking team work. I am just looking for something else in Freeflying.
jraf

Me Jungleman! Me have large Babalui.
Muff #3275