ScottMcC

Anti-Matter

Ok, so there's been lots of talk about how the new style of tighter freefly suits but heavier fabrics, along with grippers, is the wave of the future and what not, and the consensus seems to be that Matter makes a pretty mean suit of this type (Proconcept).

However, as I sit and contemplate new jumpsuits, I remember a trip to Empuria a few years ago when the dude from Matter told me he couldn't make a suit with the design I wanted because I would look like some kind of clown, and he only makes serious looking jumpsuits for serious people. He also expects 285 euros for a suit, plus options (for a total of about 400 euros), which is rather a lot of money for a poor student such as myself.

So, does anyone know of a more affordable way of procuring a suit of similar fit, without having to deal with someone who accuses me of looking like a clown?

(edited for price typo)

Sounds like a shitty way to sell a suit to me!:S

Firefly Suits are great, last a long time, and she's really good about getting things right.

Ouragan seems to be really nice too. High quality, slim fit, but more expensive.
Oh, hello again!

Hey Scott!!

Our team is about to get Matter Suits. I'll let you know what we think of them when they arrive, however, so far I've heard nothing but good things about the proconcept suit.

However, as I sit and contemplate new jumpsuits, I remember a trip to Empuria a few years ago when the dude from Matter told me he couldn't make a suit with the design I wanted because I would look like some kind of clown, and he only makes serious looking jumpsuits for serious people. He also expects 385 euros for a suit, plus options, which is rather a lot of money for a poor student such as myself.

Hmm, sorry to hear you had that experience. I've only dealt with Frida (in Perris) and she's been awesome. If you'd like I can put you in touch her. 385 Euro's? Nah - while the price is effected by the euro it's around $400 for the suit now.

Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

sorry, that's a typo on my part for the price...however, with grippers and plus shipping the cost is close to 400. I corrected my post above. but it's still a lot of money...

but the other issue is the design--I wanted something with diamonds like on my current (baggy) freefly pants.

I may have found a seamstress type who would be willing to make me a suit for a more reasonable price though, and I'm pretty sure she won't make fun of me. If I go that route, I'd need to provide her material. Anyone know where I can find fabric similar to that used by Matter? It's a pretty heavy weight polycotton, and doesn't look like anything from a "standard" fabric store.

Thanks all!

Our team is about to get Matter Suits. I'll let you know what we think of them when they arrive, however, so far I've heard nothing but good things about the proconcept suit.

I also just ordered a proconcept suit. I'll post feedback as well. B|

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

sorry, that's a typo on my part for the price...however, with grippers and plus shipping the cost is close to 400. I corrected my post above. but it's still a lot of money...

Yeah it's a bit of cash. Of course just about any quality suit is going to cost you around that mark. For example I believe FireFly (great suits) are 375 base.

I may have found a seamstress type who would be willing to make me a suit for a more reasonable price though,

Making a jumpsuit that'll hold up and work well isn't easy. I know more than a few people who've tried and said it wasn't worth the trouble.

and I'm pretty sure she won't make fun of me.

You sure the person was making fun of you btw? I remember the FF clowns used to have diamonds like that. Sure it wasn't a reference you missed (just curious)?

Anyone know where I can find fabric similar to that used by Matter? It's a pretty heavy weight polycotton, and doesn't look like anything from a "standard" fabric store

Nope.

Blues!
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

How many suits do you need? :P

Haha, no shit! :P Really, as much as I love it, getting my current suit was a mistake. Having the extra power is nice when you're chasing inexperienced people or when you're trying to move really fast, but that suit is terrible when it comes to big ways or anything that requires precision. Getting a nice form fitting suit will do my flying good. Less suit and more body can't be a bad thing.

Plus I'll lose the diamonds and get some bling. ;)

I'll let ya know how it flies after I get it.

Oh, and for what it's worth, the customer service at Matter has been AMAZING. Cedric took the the to shoot a bunch of emails back and forth, answering the dumbest questions I had (I'm a bitch for details), and he even wrote me out of the blue to make sure I had all the information I needed. Even though it was international communication, every email I sent was almost immediately replied to with a ton of information......I'm talking receiving a detailed reply within five minutes, no joke. I personally was very impressed with the way they handle things over there. To Cedric and the rest of the people at Matter, keep up the good work, and I'm totally stoked about my suit! B|

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

you know I just got my first merlin this summer slimmer fit, double layer fabrics, and it flies about 150 on my head with some work...but the transitions are great and I am not a small fry, I weight over 200 out the door...

base price I think is 225.

I liked mine so much that I ordered a second suit, added all sorts of crazy colors and designs and they only added an extra 80 bucks which blew sonic from the pro shops head...

Cheers

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

I would say that Matter suits are probably the best built freefly suits you can get any where. They alow for total flexibility with spandex inserts, so you dont get the whole "Im trapped feeling" when in some of the more demaning positions. Check out the funk flyers. Matter use a super robust polycotton that can take alot of abuse and Have in my opinon a unparalled build quality!

If your after a flowing baggy, old style suit with the whole dimonds thing there are plenty of manufactuers that can do that. But realy, why would you?

I dont think its mearly a question of trend but more a natural progression.
As with the evolution of the RW suit, freefly suits are becoming more and more refined helping flyers to have more control and comfort. Matter suits like the Proconcept 2 design are at built with this in mind.

I'm looking to thin down my suit too so if the feedback is that good I may have to get a new suit.

Or you could visit someone who does alterations and have it taken it, probably for much less than you'd pay for a new suit - and you'd have it back faster too.

If you don't want to trust it to a local whuffo seamstress, call the manufacturer and ask what they'd charge. We "trim up" an average of one suit a week at work. It's only a pain in the ass if the suit has custom appliques other than basic stripes.

I would have to agree with Trent, Firefly suits are the way to go I've had mine for about a year and shows no wear and Sherry is awesome to deal with, my suit with 3 colors was $260.00. Firefly is a slimmer fitting suit I'm about 220lbs out the door and I have no problem flying with the smaller people the suit has great range

Nick

I would say that Matter suits are probably the best built freefly suits you can get any where. They alow for total flexibility with spandex inserts, so you dont get the whole "Im trapped feeling" when in some of the more demaning positions. Check out the funk flyers. Matter use a super robust polycotton that can take alot of abuse and Have in my opinon a unparalled build quality!

If your after a flowing baggy, old style suit with the whole dimonds thing there are plenty of manufactuers that can do that. But realy, why would you?

I dont think its mearly a question of trend but more a natural progression.
As with the evolution of the RW suit, freefly suits are becoming more and more refined helping flyers to have more control and comfort. Matter suits like the Proconcept 2 design are at built with this in mind.

I think you misunderstand me. I want a tight fitting suit but with some diamonds on the sides. I already have a baggy suit, I'm trying to get away from that.

I paid about 90 U.S. smackers for the Matter pants last year. I own many FF suits and FF pants of other makes including BM Pantz and love the Matter pants the best. I would own one of their FF suits if their website allowed my color combo.

BTW I know several people had grippers put on their matter FF pants & suits without request and free of charge. Must be some movement in the FF scene in Europe.

Anyone know where I can find fabric similar to that used by Matter? It's a pretty heavy weight polycotton, and doesn't look like anything from a "standard" fabric store.

Does anyone know the answer to this question? Preferably from a UK perspective? I made the one in the attachment from white cotton denim-weight material, tie-dyed. The construction allows me to 'de-bag' it down the outside seam quite easily - I've taken a fair bit out of the arms since I made it.

I'd like to make another though, more along the Matter/Sonic line, but like the OP I'm stuck finding the heavyweight coloured poly-cotton.

Someone must know...

UPDATE: I just received two emails from Cedric regarding this thread. Apparently Matter CAN do my design and does not find it to be too clown-like. They also apologize for my previous experience.

I'm still uncertain as to what I will buy (once I get the cash together). The sonic flywear suits looked pretty nice too from the websites, but they haven't returned my email yet.