maxmadmax

Container for heads down?

There's a lot of good containers for freeflying.
Porbably more that are good than are bad. IMO The Vector 3 and the Mirage have the best overall protection. (riser, bridle, reserve pin, etc...) The wings has an excellent Main pin protection. I have made over 1500 FF jumps on a javelin and if it's the one with the better riser coverage, updated reserve pin flap and bridle protection there's nothing wrong with it. Likewise the Rigging Innovations and the Infinity make good containers. The biggest thing you need to avoid is containers with velcro on any of the flaps / covers, or something that doesn't give you good riser protection. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the above containers.
D

I'm a huge fan of the Infinity. It's a simple and well thought out design. It has great riser, and bridle coverage. It' definately designed to handle speed in any body position.

The Main and the reserve pack up pretty easily. The Main and reserve pin protection is excellent.

Most rigs are fine, but I'll take my Infinity any day.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Mirage are superior rigs as far as protection.

The only rig that I would disuede people from getting is a Javelin.

Every brand new Javelin I have seen on a student has opened up on EVERY FLAP at one point or another.

That is a scary thought. I have had four students have to buy a new rig after their Javelin was modified multiple times to no avail. They are in my opinion, a waste of money, as far as protection goes. They fit nice though.

Steve

High speed skydiving? Maybe you want something with a clean design, something that will cut smoothly through the air...let's see, what's that on my back? Oh, right- a Voodoo!
Not even an 1/8" of bridle exposure, incredibly secure riser covers, unbeatable pin protection- and I own one, which surely means it's the best possible container.:P (see how it goes?)

Problem with this type of post is it's 90% the same thread as one titled "Hey, What kind of container do you own?" thread.....

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

The major problem with the Voodoo for new skydivers? They don't build 'em for big canopies.

170's is the max, and they are a tight fit. The V4 (biggest Voodoo) also just looks wierd.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Problem with this type of post is it's 90% the same thread as one titled "Hey, What kind of container do you own?" thread.....

So you're an Oddesey fan eh?;)

Actually I had a choice of rigs when I decided to go with infinity. I saw it, checked it out and that was enough. I

I don't like pop tops or type 8 harnesses. That rules out Javelins and Mirage and Wings. I'll leave it at that.

I must regress though, I like the wings and even though it's a pop top, The new design is pretty slick. I'd put it back in the running.

I like the way the infinity looks, I like the way the main pin is covered. I like the way the reserve pin is covered. The riser covers are very well designed. The main and reserve packs up pretty darn easy. My main is a tight fit and it still packs up well.

It's well built and comfortable so I bought one.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I really gotta disagree with your statement. I've owned three types of rigs since beginning freefly and I only can recommend one of them. It's true that some companies have better qualities than others, but my answer was for overall quality construction and safety.

What do you think is the better container for high speed skydiving?

I tend to go VERY FAST when head down or speed diving... I have had NO issues whatsoever with my Infinity... just be sure to SLOW down before you deploy a canopy... OUCHB|

But even with the extreme forces of blowing up my Triathalon from deploying essentially in a track.. the rig held up with no problems..

Size of the rig.. HUGE.. Hookitt could live in the main container...249 Reserve 260 Main... and still really low profile to my back.

I recommend Infinity..I have NEVER had a single riser cover come open... nor a flap... and the risers are covered and out of the relative wind.

I really gotta disagree with your statement. I've owned three types of rigs since beginning freefly and I only can recommend one of them. It's true that some companies have better qualities than others, but my answer was for overall quality construction and safety.

You currently own a Mirage right? You recommended the Mirage right? What are you disagreeing with?;)

I see one guy (edit: oops, I mean one pretty woman) above out of (about ten?) specifically stating they's rather have a different rig than the Atom they currently own. That's about 90% roughly.

Even so, the reasons that people pick their rigs is what this type of thread is all about and THAT IS good info.

I do like my Odyssey for FF and RW, but the others look fine, too. I suspect if our poster takes this advice and looks at features recommended instead of brands recommended that quite a few containers would do just fine.

Edit: hi

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I jump a voodoo, which is fine and I've never had a problem with, but in my opinion the Micron is by far the best container on the market!
The amount of R and D that has gone into this piece of kit speaks for it self.If you are after security I would look no further.
The Atom ledgend is a good strong container.

I would Stay away from jav's{ main cover issue] and if your a gambling man go for a teardrop. the manufacturer is renound for it's quality control,NOT.

INFINITY !!!!

I have had mine for about 1200 jumps and the only problem I have had with mine is when i get it dirty from a "bad" landing. Great riser protection, great pin protection on both the main and reserve. Yet the reserve cover is not difficult to open and close to get a good pin check.

There are several other freefly friendly rigs out there, but I LOVE my Infinity. Fits great and is very comfortable to top it off!!

Blue Skies
DJ
Vertical Axis Entertainment

DJ Marvin
AFF I/E, Coach/E, USPA/UPT Tandem I/E
http://www.theratingscenter.com

I just LOVE my Miarage, and their cusomer service was great too! I sent my M4 back for upgrades (to G3 specs) and they did it in no time at a very resonable price. My next container will be mirage.
I just like it.

My opinion.;)
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

Despite all the negative views on Javelins here.... I have never had a problem with any flap ever opening (not even once) on my Javelin and it's not even an Odyssey. And the world champion Alchemy boys wear Javelins so they can't be all that bad.:P To be honest - most of the containers made these days are safe for freeflying.

Fall in dove.