skyejumper

Best container for freeflying?

Vectors have great riser and pin protection. Anomaly uses Wings which have been great in freeflying.

Don't know about Mirage.

Some of the first Javelin Odessey's constantly had the riser covers flapping and sometimes the main pin cover flapping as well. Tabs on the covers did not extend far enough into the tuck to stay after some usage.

Blue skies,

Jim

I'm a big Mirage fan. I've had one since I got off student status and now that I'm downsizing I'm getting another one. I almost exclusively freefly and while all of my jump buddies have gone through premature openings and risers flapping down their shoulders on other rigs (including Javelin) I've been incident-free in that regard. Best pin protection in the universe. Not cheap, though. You get what you pay for.
It's the Year of the Dragon.

Remember, no matter how bullet proof a rig is, or any piece of gear for that matter, that does not make it infallable. I've seen flaps open on every kind of rig that's popular in my area (Wings, Jav, Vector, Mirage, Racer, Reflex, Infinity as well as some others), I've personally seen a premie on a Mirage as well.

Its really hard to go wrong with the "big-name" rigs on the market today (Infinity, Wings, Jav, Mirage, Vector), but remember, if the proper maintance isn't done and proper gear checks aren't done, shit can and will happen.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

if the proper maintance isn't done and proper gear checks aren't done, shit can and will happen.

That is an excellent point. In the last month or so at my DZ, we have seen all kinds of preventable incidents. A jumper with over 300 dives nearly boarded a plane with his 3-rings misrouted. Last weekend there was a cutaway because the jumper did not inspect his own new gear before getting on the plane. Skydiving is a gear-dependent sport, but lots of people take it for granted that their gear will be fine or that someone else/the packer will tell you if something's wrong. Once you're off student status, you're on your own. Even when I don't pack for myself I save the last pack job of the weekend and take time to inspect my gear. If I'm unsure, I ask. This is the best way to avoid shit.

That said, some rigs are easier to maintain than others. I've only owned two cars in my life, one was a new Toyota Corolla (never even changed a tire on it) and the current one is a 1994 Opel Kadett. I have learned a lot about car maintenance from the piece of shit I drive now--also, it was cheap. But I want my rig to be a Toyota or a BMW rather than a cheaper but higher maintenance burden. Hence, my Mirage. And my need to drive a shitty car to finance such luxuries!
It's the Year of the Dragon.

Some of the first Javelin Odessey's constantly had the riser covers flapping and sometimes the main pin cover flapping as well. Tabs on the covers did not extend far enough into the tuck to stay after some usage.

I agree here. Not trying to knock Sunpath or anything, I think they make great containers, but on many of the Odyssey's I've come across, the riser covers flappin around is an issue. The tabs are definately long enough, but seemingly not wide enough to tuck well.

I love my quasar II. I especially like the main closing flap, seems particularly sturdy. I like that you dont have to lift the reserve tuck tab all the way off to check the pin, its designed so you can just pull up the end and then reseat it easily.

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

No one is immune. If I had a dollar for every mirage Ive seen open in freefall, I could buy another odyssey for myself!

Please... I can say the same thing for Javelins. Do we really want to play this game?

Infinity and Mirage are my choices. I have an Infinity on the way.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

No, but I think the idea of mirage being bullet proof is crap.

Edited to add : all the javelins I have seen open had slopppy ass packjobs in them. I have always said they dont agree with bad packjobs. I pack my javelin so the corners are filled and the center is flat and it does not come open.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

all the javelins I have seen open had slopppy ass packjobs in them.

And I've seen some Javs (6 infact) that were so poorly made that the riser covers that below the riser flaps that flair out to the main packtray flaps bowed out drastically and offered exactly zero protection.

Every rig manufacture has a rig that didn't quite make it and has flaps that will sometimes open in FF. No matter how much your rig costs, it'll still fuck up at some point.

What's your favorite rig? Why the one you just bought of course, you're not going to say "yeah, I just dropped $2k on this container and it sucks."
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Infinity and Mirage are my choices. I have an Infinity on the way.

I bet your whole Infinity would fit inside my main container on my Infinity:P

I love my HUGE Infinity.. I have NEVER in over 140 jumps since I bought it have a riser cover open.... OR the main pin cover open up... I have had people riding me doing rodeos.. combat RW exits with people all over me.. TUBE DIVES...... Freefly.. Freestyle... and speed dives to 253MPH True Air Speed. I had a Javelin that had a riser cover beating me about the head and shoulders on nearly EVERY one of the 8 jumps I made on it. I have seen people with other brands also with open covers...

I know what I like.. and I have an Infinity.. and I will be buying another Infinity next year for my smaller main canopy when I downsize.

infinity, heads down.....:)
i love my mirage and was looking at another, but after seeing the quality of the infinity first hand, and doing the math..the choice was WAAAAAAaaaaaaaay obvious...

heres mine with all the bells and whistles for a price and delivery time Mirage will never match...