vidiot

Poll: Your Average Fallrate

First of all, I'd like to apologize for cross-posting, but I wanted to make sure I reach those only reading the forum of their specific interest.

Maybe you can help: I'm trying to figure out more accurate fallrates for the different disciplines. With all those ProTracks out there, it should be possible to collect a wide sample of average freefall speeds and to calculate an overall avergae freefall speed for the different disciplines.

So, I'd really appreciate if you could state your average fallrate for the different jump types you do, based on your ProTrack readings (TAS), e.g:

RW: 120mph
Freefly: 180mph
Speed: 250mph
Wingsuit: 80mph

I'll summarize and post the results later.

Thanks for your help!
Klaus
My Logbook

my two cents on fall rate, just to be part of the discussion.

belly, yeah, round 120...(little more, little less, depends).

It alwasy seems that people think head down is like 180, where i think that's a bit on the fast side.

a spaceball, for example, goes about 165 ish..
big ways we did went about 157-163...ish...

sitting can go from 145-160....

but in general, slower is better, cause its always easier to go faster than it is to go slower..

of course there can be a huge variation, but its better (i think) to try to make your head down in the 160's oppossed to the upper 170's-180's, that's kinda fast...

whenever i work with a student and it seems a bit fast, the pro-track reads in the 180's....
not that they are always exact, but they do give a decent ballpark reading.

regards
max

Both of my vertical and inverted positions are comfortable between
150 and 170..

obviously you have more of a speed range in headown. But your sit range is very mobil aswell, dont get me wrong But I can actually can go slower in my headdown than my sit.. And I am 6'1 and 230lbs out of the door..

i also agree that slower is better. imo, 155 - 165 is best alround speed for freeflying. for instance, if you do a transition or a manuever on one of your axis and say you accidentally present to much surface area. at 160 you may float a little. at 180 or 190 your outta there. spend the next few thousand feet diving back to the group. and slower speeds are also safer.

levin
vSCR#17

All numbers are in SAS MPH.

RW (what little I do): 110ish (but I can speed up on my belly when needed, without weights).

Sit: I can go as slow as 115ish and as fast as 150 in a sit, but average 135-40.

HD: Avg 160s, top so far 210.

I'm a real lightweight, which works out great because I have awesome range in freefall. I can sit square around 125ish and big at 115ish. I normally sit a little smaller than square to fall at the same speed as "normal" people.

HD is normal, when my arms are at my side I'm in the 200s, but usually never that high.

Tracking: low 80's covering a little over 2 miles from 13500ft (about 88-90 seconds of freefall).

WingSuit: Birdman Classic (waiting on my GTi): been in the 30s (2 minutes freefall from 13500ft-4500ft), but average 50 (1minute 40-45 seconds), and when I'm flocking or playing around, low 70s. (about a minute and a half).

Trailer 11/12 was the best. Thanks for the memories ... you guys rocked!

sit: as low as 130 avg about 145-150
hd: (with my big suit) as slow as 135 up to 239 avg about 160-165
belly.. dont know.. only do that when i pull
wing suit: never wore a pro track..

-yoshi

I managed to fly a 126mph sit yesterday and I wasn't even trying to fly slow. Is this unusual? I am a floater and the F/F suit was a bit baggy but I think that's my slowest dive yet. I usually average 138 or so with F/F pants and a long sleeve t-shirt. I wonder how slow I can go in that suit. :S

-Kenny

I managed to fly a 126mph sit yesterday and I wasn't even trying to fly slow. Is this unusual? I am a floater and the F/F suit was a bit baggy but I think that's my slowest dive yet. I usually average 138 or so with F/F pants and a long sleeve t-shirt.

how is your body position? if you are leaning back or sitting on your butt and have alot of surface area exposed, with a baggy suit and being a light weight i think 126 is a realistic fallrate. i have a tony suit that i got a few years ago when sit suits had just become pretty much become obsolete. the arms have alot of drag on them. almost maxed out i could fall with some belly fliers on my head and still be able to get forward drive with alot of effort. if their is a good coach(s) present where you jump, you should show them your body position and ask for advice.

levin
vSCR#17

Have to agree slower is better, having started on my head going quite fast between 200 & 220 mph, which surprised alot of people cos I'm only 110 pounds but if you have no surface area you'll haul ass!

I have always had speed issues my belly is fast too.
But having learned to slow down it's cool cos I have a good range now
So a little 110 pond chick can fly with the big boys now

;)
Erix

I'm interested to hear what people think about the speed issue, apologies if it is off the original subject, no hijack intended.

I can appreciate that when learning, speed can be good because it gives stability and that flying can be more unstable and therefore more difficult. Just because something is more difficult does it make it better or just a challenge to be able to do the skill? If you are flying at the faster end of the freefly spectrum (170-180) and you pop up from transitions, surely a skill is to be able to maintain your speed and not catch air. Also RW guys started in baggy suits then went to tighter suits as they became more efficient with their flying, and this is being seen with freefly.

Some people believe that less drag and slightly higher speeds allow more dynamic work. Freefly has no real spatial constraints only the 35-40 second time constraint. For example tracking is not only flat, but has a range of angles which result in controlled tracking jumps with verical speeds of around 200-210 MPH.

Obviously the common consensus is that freefly is around the 160 mark, I am just curious about people's experiences and theories. I guess I am trying to ask why a sit is 140, HD is 150-160, and why people think slower is better. I see freefly as a spectrum of speeds away from the vertical, and in the vertical headup and head down being the same speeds, just tailored for who you are with and what you want to do. I guess if you fly slower you get more time for you money!! ;)
This may be just a difference in style or what people are trying to do in the sky, but I am curious.

Apologies once again for the questions, I should really start another thread! :)