doublespock

Does your DZ charge you any fees for doing video

I am curious if there are DZ's out there that charge the videographers any fees for doing video for the dropzone. If there are dropzones out there that charge a fee for doing video for the DZ, I'd like to hear what the circumstances are.

I would like to hear about your thoughts on a particular DZ that charges a fee per video with a maximum monthly charge.

Assume, for this example, that all videographers own all their gear and buy all the film and video supplies needed to produce video for the dropzone. For the use of the room and electrical hook ups, there is a per video fee, but it caps off at a certain dollar value. This room is spacious. Its big enough for each videographer to have an edit station and gear storage. It locks up and no one unauthorized has access. You could even leave your stuff in there during the non skydiving months (northeast) while still paying that fee. Its a specialized room for videographers and there is no other use.

All feedback would be appreciated.
Blue Skies

fuck no.
SHIT, even if I didnt own my own gear I would NEVER pay to film someone do their first jump.

I have jumped with friends and paid my own slot etc. but not a chance in hell would I ever pay additional money to go jump with someone. I would find a different dz to frequent AND I would tell everyone what a scumbag,money grubbing cocksucker the DZO at the DZ is.:D

so, do you wanna know how I really feel:ph34r::ph34r:
My photos

My Videos

fuck no.
SHIT, even if I didnt own my own gear I would NEVER pay to film someone do their first jump.

I have jumped with friends and paid my own slot etc. but not a chance in hell would I ever pay additional money to go jump with someone. I would find a different dz to frequent AND I would tell everyone what a scumbag,money grubbing cocksucker the DZO at the DZ is.:D

so, do you wanna know how I really feel:ph34r::ph34r:

I think he means that, the customer pays you $90 to make thier video with stills and you turn around use $21 of that on a slot, and then another $10 or something on top of that to the dz. Then you keep the rest.

But I might be interpretting that wrong.

At my dz we have lockers for fun jumpers in one place and staff lockers in another. We have to rent the staff lockers but the money just goes to improving staff facilities so who cares.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Here is how it works at my dz. The video concession buys all of its own equipment, dvd's, cd's, tapes, etc. We have our own private room where each videographer has their own cubby, gear rack and room to pack in the room, it is also air conditioned. The DZ collects the customers money for each purchased video and we invoice the dz for payment. The dz also pays our staff. We are charged $2.00 a video by the dz to cover mostly the credit card charges incurred and the Adminstrative duties they do for us. It seems fair enough that the dz shouldn't have to cover the debt that we incur.
Let me know if you have any questions B|

How it works for us is that the DZ collects the money, determines if they want CD/DVD, etc. We supply the DVD/tape/music but the DZ supplies the editing equpiment. The DZ takes the slot and their cut out of the student payment and we get the rest. The Video room is just that, enough room to edit on and charge up batteries. We all use the equipment to make personal copies also and use it for student debriefs.

If we shoot stills on top of the video the entire stills fee goes to us for them.

The DZ cut is to cover the credit card fees, pay for replacement recorders, etc and cover the power stuff we use.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

A reference probably from a time before you were born.

There was a time in this country (U.S.A.) when companies could get away with charging their employees to work, so, even though you had a job and made a wage, you did back breaking work and at the end of the week still owed your boss money. There was really no way to get ahead since you couldn't leave the job until you paid off your debts, but by working, you got even further in debt.

In otherwords -- servitude, a form a slavery.

Some people say a man is made outta mud
A poor man's made outta muscle and blood
Muscle and blood and skin and bones
A mind that's a-weak and a back that's strong

You load sixteen tons, what do you get?
Another day older and deeper in debt
Saint Peter don't you call me 'cause I can't go
I owe my soul to the company store

I was born one mornin' when the sun didn't shine
I picked up my shovel and I walked to the mine
I loaded sixteen tons of number nine coal
And the straw boss said "Well, a-bless my soul"

You load sixteen tons, what do you get?
Another day older and deeper in debt
Saint Peter don't you call me 'cause I can't go
I owe my soul to the company store

quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

My two cents worth on Payments made for video editing equipment use etc Well I suppose It all depends on the way the DZ operates, In either a purly commercial operation or in a club structure, At present I work for a commercial tandem operation who market the public for customers, who charge the customer for the service and we as staff get paid for doing the job, the company supplies an office, packing area (aircon) editing room with a TV/VCR/DVD recorder & a computer, for each video staff member to use free of charge and also supply us the DVD/CD/Video cassette/Video covers/film/music for dubbing etc, we only have to supply our own servicable skydiving equipment and camera gear, which we get paid for using. The company charge the customer the full amount for the Vid/dvd/cd/film etc and as staff we get paid a commission from the company. The office is located in town away from the airport and we travel a short distance to get on the aircraft, and then land at another area before heading back to the office to finish the job.
In the club that I jump at, which is located on the airport/DZ (outside of work jumps) as a club member the club supply a place for my editing gear and a power outlet, so if I do a video jump, I get no payment from the club and I get charged for my slot, I supply all equipment and I also get full payment from the customer, if I wish to charge cash in hand. In the work enviroment I get paid a minimum fee per jump but I do many jumps and make a great commission,(6 days a week) in the Club I get paid very well per video jump, but do every few video jumps. (weekends only) and yes the quality of footage on both are the same standard and both customers walk out the door, with a smile :-} ;)

OK, Maybe that is what he meant. I understood it like quade referenced.

it's $75 for both at my dz I get 40 in my pocket.
my jump is paid ($16-$20) and the rest of the $15-$20 goes to the DZ.

most dz's in vegas charge $99 for handy cam video and no still. I think its a rip off. If I made a living off of skydiving I would want to jump tandem's at those dz's but I would still think itsa rip off.

EDIT: the dz supplies all editing equipment
My photos

My Videos

You didn't explain your question very well.

My home DZ has a very active student program. People who go through the student program have the opportunity to have photos and video of their dive. They pay the DZ a fee, the DZ takes a profit, then assigns one of their staff videographers to do the work. The videographer/photographer gets maybe 50% of what the student pays, after you subtract out the cost of the photographers slot and some profit for the DZ.

My home DZ also has a very active "experienced" jumper group. These are people who have completed their student jumps and enjoy doing formations and stuff. They often want pictures of themselves, their formations, and video for training purposes. This is where I do most of my business. Here, they either buy my still pictures, pay for my slot, or just pay me straight out. The only cash I pay to the DZ is in the form of the my slot on the plane.

In the first case - yes, it's quite common for a DZ to make a profit off of the video concession. In the second case? Absolutely not. In fact, the opposite - I usually get discounted jumps and the DZO acknowledges that having people like me around helps to retain his customers.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Andy, I will try to clarify and be short and simple.

The DZ does charge the customer for the video. They keep their profit and pay for the vid slot and the videographer gets the rest in the form of a paycheck, by the DZ.

Then, they charge the videographer X amount of dollars, per video, as an additional kickback to the club for the use of the video room. We own all our equipment. The fee is taken out of our profits.

Its pretty much the same scenario as your 1st example.

PJ

We own our equipment, pay for our slot, and keep the rest. The DZ gets free advertising with every video.

$85 for tandem (video/stills)
$45 for AFF (video only, no editing). Mainly because AFF students are likely to be our future friends. I often film subsequent AFF jumps for just a jump ticket, or sometimes do it for free.

Doc
http://www.manifestmaster.com/video

Hey,
My DZ charges $70 for just video, $70 for just stills, and $90 for both. They provide all of the editing equip., and the CD's/DVD's. I provide my own tapes for my video camera and my own flash card for the still, although there have been times I've borrowed my DZO's flash card when doing back to back loads. He's even done the editing for me so that I could keep filming. I get paid $25 for just stills or just video, and $40 for both. Most students have no issue spending another $20 to buy the entire package. A lot of times they will just buy the video before they jump, but I put the stills on the computer and run it as a slide show as I edit the video. That works almost everytime. That extra $20 is no big deal just after they took their 1st jump. My DZO is also a camera flyer, and is a really nice guy. I can also jump his personal gear whenever I need to at no charge if I get in a jam, and he's packed for me also at no charge when we are busy. Did I meantion he's just an all around nice guy?:)~ He's my rigger too. I can't imagine flying camera where I had to pay a monthly fee for doing THEM a service, or having to provide my own editing equip. I'm helping the DZ by doing video, and they help me out in return by paying me to skydive. Seems to work out all the way aroundB|
My 2 cents worth,
BS,
Sue E.

DZ owns the room - and the editing equipment - I own the cameras, but I supply the miniDV, DVD, and CD(For Stills) - but there is no charge -
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

SOunds ALOT like my DZ/DZO except I won't jup his rig...its a 107 and I like my bones unbroken:ph34r:

but I have borrowed his "rental" rigs for free when I was busy.

he has since sold that rig and I just bought a 2nd rig...;);)
My photos

My Videos

SOunds ALOT like my DZ/DZO except I won't jup his rig...its a 107 and I like my bones unbroken:ph34r:

but I have borrowed his "rental" rigs for free when I was busy.

he has since sold that rig and I just bought a 2nd rig...;);)

Hey!
My dzo's rig is a S107! :D Both of them actually. G4 container on both also. This is some really nice gear.
Both are also Cyp. equipped.
I've been jumping a Batwing116 for years, which is in my 2nd rig now, with a Q2 container and a MR135R. My main rig is a S120 in a Javelin TJN with a PD126R and Cyp2.
I get pretty geeked about jumping that S107.
It's FUN. It also makes me want to go out and spend alot of money on new gear.
Dammit I need a ton of cash soon if I want to do that! B|

As for the broken thing, I've been there twice now.
It's not worth it in any way.
It hurts like hell, and you can't jump for that season, and if you do the ACL thing like I did, a bit longer than that.
It's just not worth it. That shit REALLY hurts.
The recovery time and the physical therapy is not cool.
It HURTS. It takes forever too until you can use that leg again in a normal way. Sitting JM, flying video, etc...
Be safe, and jump again the next day. Taking certain risks may seem OK at the time, but that shit can bite you in the ass. Hard. I've learned not to be stupid. I've learned to not only respect mother earth, but my limitations as to my abilities at that point in my career in this sport. I push those limitations to learn, but not beyond what is safe for my experience. Tomorrow is another day. I may be up to pushing that further then.
Just not today.
Did I meantion that my dzo rocks:)~?
BS,
Sue

that sounds like it can ruin your year.

Its been 7 years since Billy weber told me these word I am about to repeat but I still hear them loud and clear.

ok,well I hear them loud but no so clear, so Im gonna tell you in my words.:D

I don't see a reason to downsize as fast as SOME OF these people who jump tiny canopies do. The sky will be here tomorrow,will you?

I jump a 150 and at about 1.4 wingload.
My photos

My Videos

I own my own equipment. The club suplies the room. We have to get creative with the space - bunch of little rooms. (mine used to be a storage closet :D) I do my own editing. I suply DVDs, MiniDVs, CDs, Cases, everything needed. They pay us very well and keep us very busy. :)