clint

What is a better camera, Canon 10D or Rebel XT

Just wondering what camera is better quality. I know the XT is lighter and has 8 MP but is the 10D a better quality camera?

What would you buy and why. Forget about the weight. I'm not using it for jumping that often but once in a while.

=
Clint MacBeth
Skydive Moab 435 259 JUMP
M.O.A.B. Mother Of All Boogies Sept 19 - 23, 2012

how advanced of a photographer are you? If you are running in full manual most the time I'd say the XT since it is lighter for jumping when you want it. The 10D does have some more of the prolevel options on it then the XT but you'll probally never use them.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

The 10D does have some more of the prolevel options

You can also use the software hacks on the XT to get many of the 10D options not normally found on the XT and have the best of both worlds.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I had a 10d thought it was a good cam till it bounced,then I got a 20d to replace it, I find it to be way faster then the 10d and 8mp.
If your going to get a 10d spend the extra cash and get the 20d, in the long run you'll be happy you did.
It will run circles around the 10d or XT. IMHO

~
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

Scott,
isn't it about the original digital rebel (300d)?
have you tried to use the 300d firmware in 350d?

Check out the link I provided, it covers 350d as well as 20d to 30d software hacks.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Clint,
What's up? This is Laci from the Ranch. Dude the XT is the camera to jump. It has 8MP newer generation sensor vs. to the 10D's 6.3MP sensor. Also the XT has all the "PRO" features(pretty much same like the PRO models) what the Digital Rebel didn't have. The 20D or the 30D won't provide better image quality either, they just take more in the given time and they keep going longer as well (...I meant the burst mode) For good pictures you need a good lens and proper settings (mostly manual) ...and of course a good flash too. I recommend the XT and a nice piece of glass (Canon or Sigma 15mm f2.8 for wide angle skydiving photos) 15mm will provide a same view as 24mm on 35mm film.
Good luck! -Laci-
www.laszloimage.com

The 10d/20d are good quality cameras, very tough! But the rebel xt is much lighter and smaller and good enough for what we do! Question is, will you ever put your camera in a situation that a slightly more robust 10d/20d can handle but the rebel xt can't? I mean if you lose the camera in freefall or jump through massive rain both types of cameras will suffer!
My advice: get a rebel XT and to make it last longer, cover it with tape that'll avoid scratching and protect it from moisture and keep the temperature steady.
A good lens is the 16mm from Zenit, that's cheap as and takes nice pix. (get it on www.rugift.com)
I've ditched my 10d for a rebel xt, deciding factor was speed (frames/sec), pixels and the weight! After a few reserve openings with a camera helmet you do appreciate every gram less on your head! And I haven't had any failure or problems with the XT so far (touch wood!)

Check out the link I provided, it covers 350d as well as 20d to 30d software hacks.

I'm sure there are no firmware hacks for post-300 models (Dig Rebel). If you read the entry that says "30D Firmware Hacked to Run on 20D!" you'll see it's a "wouldn't it be nice?" piece of speculation. There's nothing on the 350D.

Regretfully
John

I'm sure there are no firmware hacks for post-300 models (Dig Rebel). If you read the entry that says "30D Firmware Hacked to Run on 20D!"

Did I slip and say there might be a Wasia hack for the 30D firmware in the near future? Wasn't me:)

There's nothing on the 350D.

I doubt you will find a 350 hack,however, most 300 hacks give many of the same features as a 350.Take a look at THIS link from that page for a comparrison.
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

You can also use the software hacks on the XT

That's the thing, the XT is the 350d and you said there were....

The 300d (Rebel) reenabled some stuff that was present on the 10d IIRC
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

BWHAHAHA... Sorry to laugh but when a price sounds too good to be true it usually is.

Look here: http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1734.html for a review of the company you are looking to do business with. 6 Month rating of .75 and a lifetime rating of .66 on a 10 point scale. B&H on the other hand is a 9.51 over 6 months and 9.29 over its lifetime.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com