samp76

What are your Cutaway and reserve handles?????

I am just a little curious on everyones emergency handles.

Please select which type of cutaway handle you use and the type of reserve handle you use.

Please post any experiences(good or bad) about any cutaway situation.
-Sam-
Let go of the NUT!!

Pillow cutaway, metal reserve( old stuff ). No problems using them both( that is what I was trained on). Don't like reserve handle ( Martian Baker
style) 'cause it is just looking to get hooked on something.
...mike:)

-----------------------------------
Mike Wheadon B-3715,HEMP#1
Higher Expectations for Modern Parachutists.

loop cutaway

metal reserve, but very low profile - sticks out about 1.5 inches (pic is from before I had it actually installed)

People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

small handle.jpg

Yea!... that's the reserve handle I want!!!

I got it from the fine folks who make the Infinity, Velocity Sports Equipment.

I had posted it a couple months ago, some guys remembered that Racers have had the same shape offered. I like this shape much more than the triangular alternatives I have seen lately, and it fits into a normal pocket.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

From the way the numbers add up in your poll, I think people are not voting for both cutaway and reserve style.

You have an unusual set-up (loop cutaway & pillow reserve), as someone else noted in your earlier post regarding your new rig. I assume you think that if the cutaway gets snagged, at least it doesn't deploy a canopy at a dangerous speed/position.

There have been a lot of previous threads along these lines, but why should that stop us...:)

pillow cut-away handle, and steel reserve deployment handle. the main reason for this (for me anyway) is because when i cutaway and deploy reserve (no RSL) is because i use my left thumb and hand to pull the reserve deployment handle. this gives me some mental comfort that i will be able to pull the SOAB in case i need it. it's worked so far!
--Richard--
"We Will Not Be Shaken By Thugs, And Terroist"

I'm set up the same as you. Odessey too.;)
I had a cutaway (No RSL) and res ride on the system a while back...No biggie.
Reasons for this setup?
I jump a 1.6-7 ish loaded main, not prone to spinning mals (spectre) but I do jump with mini risers, I weigh 220+. The risers are fitted with inserts, and the cutaway is fitted with hard housings (standard nowadays), the looped cutaway goes some way to mitigate the hard pull effects I may experience if I do spin up, and makes a little compensation for my fashion driven choice in risers.
The reserve pad is there to prevent snags on climbout, I've spent a lot of my jumping carreer on the camera step. I used to move around a lot so there were many 'unfamiliar aircraft' to catch me out.

--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

The reserve pad is there to prevent snags on climbout

Also the reason for me... this choice was reinforced this weekend...

While at Moss Point for the MS State record/Bigway camp a jumper's reserve was deployed on exit. He was a flaoter from the lead plane, and shot right by me about 30 feet away (I was the video guy)... His Metal handle was snagged on the main flap of another floater... I was told by someone that the handle stayed there until the other jumper deployed at the end of the jump.

Josh
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Old school: cutaway pillow with metal reserve ripcord handle.
In 1979 my main stabilizers tangled. I pulled a metal handle on my chest. I landed a 24 flat reserve.
Made up my mind in 1979 and have not heard a convincing argument since then.

I have pillows for my cutaway handles and on 2 rigs I have a metal res. handle and the other I have a pillow.

I always recommend metal handles to new jumpers in case they have their first mal on low # of jumps, sensory overload, can't see their handles, etc. They can feel the difference though.

After that, I just think it's preference.

My .02

not sure this link will work but reserve handles are banned from finland (for now). It is in the incidents forum...RM

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=508246;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;guest=1504454

Freefly friendlyB| - both soft...

My Emergency procedures :o:
Grab right, grab left, peel both:P, punch right and punch left...that's the way it was drilled into me by my rigger (not my instructor).

Same reason as you mentioned - all the velcro makes it a hard motion.
Z-Flock 8
Discotec Rodriguez

Too bad weapons grade stupidity doesn't lead to sterility.