basehoundsam

Anyone jumping Sony's HD camera yet?????

Yep. The two Sony consumer HD cameras have been jumped (not by me but a close associate).

The three chip camera still has typical three chip issues, but the single chip camera is rock stready, smaller and less expensive too boot.

Looks like a winner...only wish I had the cash.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

From what I've heard, the A1E can only out put DVCAM/DV if you shot in DVDCAM/DV. Any HDV footage can only be out put as HDV [:/] So no good for linear editing (tandem videos!) if your hardware can't handle HDV.

The HC1 looks VERY nice though, and is compatible with DV hardware and can output DVCAM/DV even form HDV footage. So you can always shoot at the highest quality.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Just wondering if anyone has a HDR HC1 that they are jumping. I am considering purchasing one soon, and would love some feedback. 1080i sounds like the future !

I have met a jumper wit the HC1 - the one thing that I noticed is re-focusing times are bit slower than the regular mini-DV ( i mean quite NOTICABLY slower). Other than that the footage looked the same, and I never got to see it on a HD big screen.

It's the other way around.

The HC1 is the consumer version and can only output what has been recorded. For straight editing you need to record and output in DV. If you use a computer you can record in HDV, edit it and output to DV.

The A1 (professional) though can output whatever you want due it's build in converter. You can record in HDV 16:9 and output to DV (and composite) 4:3, cropped or squeezed.

I've heard from several cameraman that they're very happy with the quality of the HC1. I need the A1 but haven't heard anything about it yet.

Yep, it is sometimes losing focus and regaining it relatively slow.

Another glitch, it stops recording for a second on hard openings (e.g. 1s or more slider down BASE). No prob with slider up jumps.

BUT....

I just watched the footage I shot at Bridge Day on 60" HTDV and the quality just blows my mind. It's simply unbelievable. So much detail... pixel to pixel. WOW! Also, this camera is completely free of purple fringing and vertical white stripe when shooting into the sun.

Yuri
Android+Wear/iOS/Windows apps:
L/D Vario, Smart Altimeter, Rockdrop Pro, Wingsuit FAP
iOS only: L/D Magic
Windows only: WS Studio

Yep, it is sometimes losing focus and regaining it relatively slow.

Another glitch, it stops recording for a second on hard openings (e.g. 1s or more slider down BASE). No prob with slider up jumps.

BUT....

I just watched the footage I shot at Bridge Day on 60" HTDV and the quality just blows my mind. It's simply unbelievable. So much detail... pixel to pixel. WOW! Also, this camera is completely free of purple fringing and vertical white stripe when shooting into the sun.

Yuri

I don't think I have seen a helmet mounted miniDV cam that was not affected by hard openings. So it's not a glitch, rather than expected mechanical sideeffect

I have met a jumper wit the HC1 - the one thing that I noticed is re-focusing times are bit slower than the regular mini-DV ( i mean quite NOTICABLY slower)

The HC1 has several different auto-focus speeds that you can choose from the menu.

Another cool thing about HDV.
You can deinterlace 50/60 (PAL/NTSC) fields per second HDV footage, to 50/60 FRAMES per second slowmo's, and still have a more then 100% quality broadcast-res image..
Makes for beautifull slowmo's.

And you can take HDV footage, and actualy crop and stabilize shaky camera footage for better framing.

I'm currently editing some (non skydiving) HDV footage, and the quality is amazing. This is definately the future..B|

buyng the A1E (both for work and skydiving) is on my 2do list for januari/febuari next year..B|
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

The HC1 is an amazing camera, the quality of the footage is just crazy! I've made a few BASE jumps with my camera (no skydives yet) and it works really well. If you shot in HDV mode you can STILL export (to a TV-set or a computer) in miniDV, and the miniDV quality is really great as well. The DV-export-functionality is good to have if you need to edit in DV, or if you don't have a HD-ready TV. But... buy that TV! Once you have seen the HDV quality you never wanna go back to miniDV!!!

/Micke
Team Bautasten

Cajones in Perris is shooting some sort of HD. You might want to give him a ring...

He was Home visiting us in SC over the weekend for the Harvest Moon Boogie.... I got to see the camera you are talking about. It looks awsome (not to mention its lighter than my trv30).

Pendejo

He who swoops the ditch and does not get out buys the BEER!!

I am looking at getting one of these myself and have spoken at some length to 3 of the cameramen at Netheraven that jump this or the A1E (mmmmmmm).

Both camera's take a 37mm thread so you can fit w/a lenses, however the thread is set back quiet deep so you need a lens with a long thread. Unfortunately I think my Kenko .42 is not long enough.

Also the camera has quite a wide, w/a setting so you may find your existing lense gives you yto wide an angle, again this seems to be the case with my .42.

I will get more info on lenses at the weekend and post it here.

Buzz
xxx
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.