sundevil777

Cypres II batteries

I think it is a real shame if the new - 4year batteries can't be used in the old version.

Just because battery technology advances should not have to mean a different package size. Or is the unit just more efficient? This shouldn't be it since the old version's batteries are supposed to be changed in 2 years regardless of how much it is used.

Can anyone confirm the batteries can't be shared, or know of reasons why they couldn't be?
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Just curious, with this new battery that they are using in the Cypress II, anyone know what happens if your battery dies before the 4 years is up.

Are you going to have to send it back to Airtec or will any rigger be able to replace the batteries? Also, are the batteries going to cost a fortune since they are 4 year batteries now?

I know of several professional jumpers that only get about a year out of the current 2 year batteries because of the number of jumps they do a year. I was just wondering what this is going to mean for them.

-OK
Time flies like an arrow....fruit flies like a banana

I wasn't just talking about the # of jumps requirement. The people I am talking about actually end up with dead batteries about once a year because they jump so much.

-OK
Time flies like an arrow....fruit flies like a banana

Helmut was jumping at RAPA today, Pinky his test jumper has been testing units (both 1 and 2) for the last few weeks.

Cypress 2 will cost E90 more than Cypres 1.

Helmut left a couple of user manbooks for Cyp2 at the DZ but I only had a quick look.

The control unit is more rounded but smaller than the original.

I had a quick look for info on the bty's but couldnt find any. Ill have a good look tomorow and post what I find.

Buzz
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

I don't think anyone has actually seen a Cypres 2 yet. But they ar shipping now and in a week or so we will see how much smaller the new unit is. It may simply be to small to share the batteries with the old cypress. I don't think it has anything to do with battery technology, but rather the circutry that is envolved that allows for smaller size and less power needed to run the thing.
Dom

The old Cypres batteries had to be replaced every two years regardless of usage.

If the new batteries were similar technology, just a different size/less demand put on them by more efficient electronics, then it would seem that the two year life would still apply.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Once again this is just speculation. But don't think it is the batteries that have changed (except in size). It's the circutry and processors that the unit uses to detect speed and altitude that has gotten more advanced. This allows for smaller longer lasting batteries. When we actually get a new Cypres in our hands I will update it here so we can know for sure. Just from brainstorming with my Tony, we think they may even have triple redundency in the unit itself (once again that is speculation). We will just have to wait and see. Or go to the AIRTEC site and read up on it there. I want to have one in my hands and see what they say in the instructions. If you email me on Monday to remaind me, I will email you some info that we got from Airtec.:)

Dom

Check out Diablopilots post in this same forum. He has posted the releas we got from AIRTEC. Something that you may not have known and I didn't mention. The batteries are not for sale. They are sealed in the unit and are only replaced during it's service by the manufacturer.
Dom

The old Cypres batteries had to be replaced every two years regardless of usage.

Not necisarily true...because if you make 500 cycles of the cypres...1 jump each cycle or each time up and down in the aircraft...you are to have them replaced.

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....

If the new batteries were similar technology, just a different size/less demand put on them by more efficient electronics, then it would seem that the two year life would still apply.

The 2 year replacement cycle, though many of us treat it as law was more of a suggestion. It doesn't mean that the batteries only lasted 2 years. It meant that airtec did some tests and found that in that particular configuration using those particular batteries that 2 years was all they could "guarantee" them working for. The batteries don't go bad after 2 years automatically. Airtec thought/thinks that it is in our best interest to replace them then because the probability of errors due to low or unstable voltage from the battery is increased to a point where it is less acceptable.

just my 2 cents.

..It is far worse to live with fear, than to die confronting it.

From Cypres-2
power supply of CYPRES 2 is maintenance-free for the user. There is no need to observe a replacement date, record the number of jumps made, monitor the voltage during self-test, purchase a battery, or have a rigger open or repack the reserve for this reason.

-Sam-:)
Let go of the NUT!!

The 2 year replacement cycle, though many of us treat it as law was more of a suggestion. It doesn't mean that the batteries only lasted 2 years.

FAR part 105 now says that an AAD, if installed, must be, maintained according to the manufacturer's specs. Airtec says every 2 years/500 jumps for the battery replacement, making it law.

Hook

Thanks Hook,

I was trying to find a way at 4:00 AM to get accross the fact that batteries didn't instantly dry up after 2 years, but I guess I didn't do the greatest job. The post should be read with that spirit in mind but thanks for the correction.

I understand the existing limitations put on the batteries, 500 jumps or 2 years or when the code comes up on the control unit. Of course the limitations are not because they turn into a pumpkin at the prescribed date or jump.

The 2 year limit may have partially been to prevent leakage of the batteries, (especially when not used often?)

What I really want to know is:

Are the new batteries a different technology?

It would appear so, as I mentioned in earlier posts, the 2 year limit is gone. I would expect this to be the case only if the concerns related to the batteries sitting in the unit for 2 years are no longer a concern. I don't know how this would be true unless the batteries used a different technology. Even if they were isolated/sealed from the rest of the internal electronics, I would not have expected the 2 year limit to go away unless the technology was different.

Perhaps the battery technology is new (can't leak) and the electronics are so efficient that they will last 4 years regarless of usage.

It is just too bad if the cost or size (power vs. size) of the new battery technology is what prevents their use with the old version (assuming the batteries are a different technology).

Probably enough speculation for now, the answer will come with time I suppose.

understood now.. cool I also await eagerly to see what this new device will bring.

I have 4 years left on mine but coming from an engineering background I find this stuff really cool..

FAR part 105 now says that an AAD, if installed, must be, maintained according to the manufacturer's specs. Airtec says every 2 years/500 jumps for the battery replacement, making it law.

Fortunately, there's no way to prove the number of jumps on a particular battery set, so the 500 jumps part, while law, is completely unenforceable.

Fortunately, there's no way to prove the number of jumps on a particular battery set, so the 500 jumps part, while law, is completely unenforceable.

I believe the internal computer tracks the number of cycles. While it's not possible to know easily wthout pulling the unit, I believe the number of jumps is available information if needed.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

well you are only hurting yourself for not replacing them after 500 jumps. I know a JM who had over 500 (don't know the exact number) on his set of batteries, chased a student low, pulled for her then pulled for himself, I was at 1500ft and saw him fall way past me before deploying his main. (he said he was in the saddle at 600 feet) He cypres did not fire. This was not a malfunction of the cypres, his batteries were really that low.
Fly it like you stole it!