superstu

post your best shot

Josh E. took a real nice (hundred) photos of an AFF jump I was on yesterday. The student was the only one in the FJC and I took him on both dives he did that day, so I guess it feels good to see the fruits of my labor, especially with a real awesome photographer!

Here are my favs... (I am in gray, Dave is with the green head, and the student we now affectionately call Hyphen because everyone needs a nickname)

He pulled:
http://www.indigox.com/Travis%27%20Photo%20Album/Skydive/slides/JS%20Level%201%20AFF%20jump%2007%20(3).html

A practice touch:
http://www.indigox.com/Travis%27%20Photo%20Album/Skydive/slides/JS%20Level%201%20AFF%20jump%2007%20(1).html

Exit:
http://www.indigox.com/Travis%27%20Photo%20Album/Skydive/slides/JS%20Level%201%20AFF%20jump%2007%20(5).html

Here is one of mine. In the full size version you can see me falling away from the helicopter in her glasses.

Was that one published somewhere? I think I recognize it, maybe from the same exit pictorial I had a small shot in recently.

To contribute to the thread, here is one I really like from the Puerto Rico boogie. Not a very difficult shot to take, but the scenery is amazing. I also like this one even though the parachute is far away.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Here is one of mine. In the full size version you can see me falling away from the helicopter in her glasses.

Was that one published somewhere? I think I recognize it, maybe from the same exit pictorial I had a small shot in recently.

To contribute to the thread, here is one I really like from the Puerto Rico boogie. Not a very difficult shot to take, but the scenery is amazing. I also like this one even though the parachute is far away.

Yeah it was in a recent parachutist. My only picture to date that has been published. I could send in more pictures I'm sure, but I choose to only send the ones that I feel are really remarkable.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

It actually started out with my girlfriend taking this pic, and edited Tony's head out of the exit. Cropped it a little and then copied a new layer of just the trailing edge, and blurred that back. Wasn't too hard to do, it just took a while to not look totally faked.

The only reason I like it is for the simple fact that the photographer never gets shots of himself. Just happed to be the one time I have a pic of me...

I like this other one too...
Gravity Research Institute

No manipulation, no corecection what so ever, just as it is out off the camera...(normally I do adjust contrast, WB, sharpness, etc.)
Full manual settings (including the flash), except AF.
The reserve side instructor Bob Clark is making his 6000th jump. That's why I took my better (lot heavier) equipment for an AFF video.
-Laszlo- www.laszloimage.com

If you happen to use firefox, check out https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/3905/.

It's an extension you can install that lets you right click on an image to see the exif data (the metadata written to the jpeg file). Many images have many of the camera settings embedded in them, including those. Doesn't tell the whole story, but it's a start.

I've learned a lot about photography by looking at the settings of nice, and ugly pictures.

Dave

Matt,
You don't have to cheat at all. Go to the menu in your camera and find picture setting. There you can set up a preffered saturation, color tone, sharpness, and etc.
Even if you shoot in JPEG it will work. If you shoot in RAW the picture will be taken with those setting as well, except you can change or adjust them lot easier.
That's very rare when a photo comes out of my camera like the one I just posted and I don't have to touch it.
-Laszlo-

Lonnie,
I used my 5D with the Sigma 15mm f2.8 fish eye lens and my Canon 580EX flash.
Settings: 1/200sec shutter, F5, WB for flash, ISO200, AF in the One Shot mode, 1/4 flash power at 14mm zoom.
The picture settings inthe camera's menu were +1 saturation, +1sharpness, and +1 contrast.
-Laszlo-

Lonnie,
I used my 5D with the Sigma 15mm f2.8 fish eye lens and my Canon 580EX flash.
Settings: 1/200sec shutter, F5, WB for flash, ISO200, AF in the One Shot mode, 1/4 flash power at 14mm zoom.
The picture settings inthe camera's menu were +1 saturation, +1sharpness, and +1 contrast.
-Laszlo-

I really need to get a flash. I think I could be getting much nicer pictures in questionable light and way better color even in good light if I had one ><
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka