velocityphoto

Tandem Handcams The battle!

video is 79.00 add the stills for 35.00 total of 114.00 if they buy stills in advance when they pay for video it's another 10.00 off i throw in a free 8 x 10 just for buying the video ,they have beenbuying the stills up front..

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

I just started shooting stills last weekend and it was 100%. I didn't even have any scheduled; just shot them and said, "Hey, I take my digital stills camera along and offer them for $25 if I'm happy with their quality and have at least 25 well framed shots. Here, take a look and if you like them I'll put them on a CD for you."
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

When I started doing hand-cam, I started with the same script used by our outside videographers: sky, company sign, introductions, interview while getting dressed, silly comments while walking to plane, etc.
The only parts I added were 30 seconds of orgasms after openings, a canopy spiral and final approach looking over their shoulder.
Sometimes - if I really trust the other TI - he flies his canopy (on my right side) for 30 seconds of canopy-to-canopy footage.
My attitude was that the easiest way to get a new technology accepted was to mimic the old technology, kind of the same logic that aircraft instrument panel makers used when they started installing glass cockpits that displayed the same symbology as old-school steam guages.

Here's a handy I did a few weeks ago. Yeah, it's not outside video, but you do get some good shit that outside doesn't get. Obviously there are pro's and cons. I'm for both and see no reason to bash others for doing what they want.

And that was my whole point. A combination of all the angles gives a better product for the customer.

Its a question of substance over cost.

The DZO's who only consider handcam are selling their DZ short........imho.

Bryn
Journey not destination.....

It's OK but IMO I think the fish eye effect is just too great . Certainly the best video would include both handcam and outside video.

There is a place for both though.

My thought is that the customer should get to see examples of all three videos, and let them choose.

The DZO's need to remember that the REAL value of video is in advertising. A HC vid is fun to watch for the person that jumped but outside vid will sell more tandems - IMO.
illegible usually

I have not yet made up my mind on handycams but do have several questions.

When you have a "problem student" what do you tell them about their video? That thier once in a lifetime vid didnt work out cuz they had a bad body posit? as a video person having to tell someone their vid didnt work out (cam problems or whatever) was my worst nightmare.

Shouldnt we as tandem instructors devote 100% of our attention on keeping the two of us alive? after all a tandem isnt just another skydive.

"It seemed like a good idea at the time"

I have not yet made up my mind on handycams but do have several questions.

It sounds to me like you have made up your mind about handcams, but here's what I think anyways.

When you have a "problem student" what do you tell them about their video? That thier once in a lifetime vid didnt work out cuz they had a bad body posit? as a video person having to tell someone their vid didnt work out (cam problems or whatever) was my worst nightmare.

I'm not sure what kind of "problem student" you're thinking of, but normally once the drouge is out their handcam video will be fine. And most outside video guys that I've jumped with can't get shit for video until the drouge is out either. If it takes the whole skydive to get it out, at least with handcam they'll have video of their canopy flight.
You're right though. When I'm having trouble with one, the handcam is the last thing on my mind.

Shouldnt we as tandem instructors devote 100% of our attention on keeping the two of us alive? after all a tandem isnt just another skydive.

I'd say that if staying alive requires 100% of your attention then yes you should devote 100% of your attention to just that. Handcams aren't for everybody.

Sometime when I can get up to Fremont I'll let you try mine out. That way you can at least have an educated opinion on it. I might even ride bitch for you on the first one. But if I do I'm flaring the canopy. I've seen you land too many times:P

Shouldn't we as tandem instructors devote 100% of our attention on keeping the two of us alive? after all a tandem isnt just another skydive.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

If you need 100% of your attention to keeping you and your student alive, then you are not ready to do handy-cam.
If a bad student requires more than 100% of your effort then you will soon find yourself overwhelmed, over-loaded, deep in the corner, etc.
Wait until staying alive requires less than 50% of your effort.
The basic routine for staying alive (handles checks, etc.) should be second nature.
A Bhuddist would call it "mindless."
An airline pilot would call it "monitoring the autopilot."
A skydive U coach would call it: "beyond congnitive, beyond associative and into autonomous learning."

And when you get a stupid student, it should not be a conscious effort to revert to plan A.
Like last week, my drogue hesitated to inflate and my head spun around so fast that I almost gave myself whip-lash! I ignored my camera until I was satisfied that the drogue had inflated properly.

When you have a "problem student" what do you tell them about their video? That thier once in a lifetime vid didnt work out cuz they had a bad body posit?

You tell them when training them the consequences of NOT listening and NOT arching. That their video is greatly effected by how much they do what they are told to do.....and that anything can happen.

Now, try doing that with a student that speaks zero english.....good times!

Once you are past the exit and in drogue fall.....it's a lot easier.
my pics & stuff!

I had some nasty spinning line twists last weekend that made for some pretty interesting video.

Com'on Tony, the linetwists weren't *that* bad. Your facial expressions on the handcam just made it look that way. I especially liked the little bit of drool towards the end.

-dp
(video guy who's, for the most part, getting along with his handcam-enabled TM)

Do you sacrifice a few seconds of video to do a complete handle check? Or is the video still good even touching all the handels?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I am still trying to perfect the camera angle when patting the reserve ripcord. Remember that there is only one handle on the left side of Strong tandems.
I usually pat all the handles on the right side of my harness and look at my reserve ripcord.
As for muscle memory ... I should have that after 14 reserve rides on Strong tandems.
Hee!
Hee!

-dp
(video guy who's, for the most part, getting along with his handcam-enabled TM)

Hey DaveP. I don't know if you could really say we get along. In fact, I think the only reason you put up with me having it out there is because of the shots like this that I get with it.:P

When I check the primary RC on the Vector rig, I try to do it nice and smooth. It's actaully pretty cool angle.

You go from the students face and then the camera angle points straight down at the ground. I hold the handle for 1-2 seconds.

As for the reserve ripcord, still trying to perfect the angle but I'm trying to get the drogue in the shot when I'm touching the RRC.

That's taking some practice but it's cool to see the drogue.

-