velocityphoto

Tandem Handcams The battle!

This thread is developing well. I think if we post enough data, we may be able to solve this debate once and for all. Right now it looks like we have more good info on outside vid.

Scores:

Handcam: 9
Outside: 9, 10
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

What? I don't miss the opening shots. Do you? LOL
And pulling high and not jumping a pocket rocket lets me fly no
contact crew and get all of the canopy ride down.
~

You, my man, are in the tiniest minority then. The only person I have ever seen do this is one guy that goes to WFFC every year. Every single other person I can think of these days rolls onto their back when the tandem opens, dumps, then races down. Once again, I get back to the statement I made in the other thread: that the majorty of people bitching about handcam are the ones who feel they simply MUST be able to swoop their velo on every jump.

Opening shots? I don't miss them whether I am flying outside video of doing handcam at TM. I have yet to sell a handcam video, but my second-ever attempt was absolutely sale-worthy. It's a different product than outside video that's for sure, but arbitrarilly calling it "crap" makes me laugh. There are a LOT of tandem instructors who read this forum who can testify to the joy on the passenger's face when they see that video.

I am not about to fault a one or two-cessna 182 DZ owner for opting to be able to do two tandems with video per load. Doing so gets the tandems out of the way quicker and frees up entire airplanes for fun jumpers. I grew up on a Cessna DZ and my dad still runs one. If he had the staff talent I can promise you handcams would be exactly what he would be doing.

Chuck

Sometime when I can get up to Fremont I'll let you try mine out. That way you can at least have an educated opinion on it. I might even ride bitch for you on the first one. But if I do I'm flaring the canopy. I've seen you land too many times

Hmmm. If you don't mind I will do the flaring. At least I haven't broken a student.:ph34r:

"It seemed like a good idea at the time"

Wow. You're ruthless dude. That was one of my first tandems. I felt so bad that I almost quit doing them after that.

Now, when I look back on it, I just think to myself "I told that dumbass to pick up his feet".

I guess it's too bad for you that I wasn't doing handcam back then. You guys could have said I was distracted by the camera or something. That would have made great ammunition for you handcam-haters...

I guess it's too bad for you that I wasn't doing handcam back then. You guys could have said I was distracted by the camera or something. That would have made great ammunition for you handcam-haters...

Oh you know thats a fact! lol.:)

In my oh so humble opinion I feel the only good footage with the handcam is the opening and canopy shots. the rest of the skydive seems best captured by outside vid.

the best option is to blend them. but then the price of getting vid goes up and will decrease sales. or offer either outside vid only or the blend.

The real issue is that the students have no clue which is better. they are going to go for the cheapest price.

As far as liking handcams or not, people who know me , know that when confronted with two choices and cant make up my mind I tend to lean towards the choice that offers the most caution.

In other words I can be a big pussy, although others like nsemn8r call me a dick. I wish they would make up their mind ;)

"It seemed like a good idea at the time"

I really like handcams, but think that the shots you make with them vary between realy cool and amazing, up to making a passenger look completely rediculous (a wide-angle lens stuck up your nose at 200 km/h is not always the most romantic view you'll get from a person)
I would love to give a handcam a spin on a few birdman-jumps B|

If a TM is offering a Handcam video, does that also include him filming the whole pre-jump briefing and stuff? Cause that seems like hard...splitting his attention...doing double duties on both briefing the student and shooting video..?
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

The key to doing both jobs safely is splitting them into blocks:
- warm up camera
- inspect parachute equipment
- train student
- set camera on table & interview student while donning harness
- don tandem harness
- walk to plane, videoing student
- board plane
- shoot a bit of video of takeoff, swing back to student's face
- brief student
- last gear check in airplane
- put on helmet
- put on Handy-Mount & warm up
- hit RECORD button as door opens
- do 2 jobs for the next minute
- after opening, record a few comments from student, then PAUSE camera,
etc.

Find your routine and stick with it.

Remember to keep "Plan A" of a tandem jump running in the background.

PERFECTLY said Rob.

I love the handcam also. Thanks for making it for me.

I did some mods on it so it's perfect now. I added and extra strap around the wrist/arm. I sewed the ALT to the clove, just underneath the wide angle lens.

-
Clint MacBeth
Skydive Moab 435 259 JUMP
M.O.A.B. Mother Of All Boogies Sept 19 - 23, 2012

In another 2 or 3 years, we expect that digital point-and-shoot cameras will be small enough and fast enough fro Handy-Mounts. Alternately, by then MiniDV cameras may take good enough still pictures to eliminate the need for a second camera.

Hmmm...when's Sony gonna come out with something along these lines?

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)