Zoter

Pac 750XL....exits

Any camera guys out there got any tips/advice for 4way camera exits on a Pac 750XL ??
Never jumped one....but will be quite soon....
Its a left hand door low wing 18 seater
Advice about run in speeds....camera steps/grips...appreciated:)

i did a video out of a 750 in Rantoul....it was basically like a king air exit, only with a bigger door....there is a step that is below the door which runs from the front of the door to about a foot past the back of the door, and a bar above the door which runs the same length.....now im sure there will be modifications and slight diffrences with each plane.
"Professor of Pimpology"~~~Bolas

I've only got a few out of our PAC yet. I've seen at least two types of camera step "in the wild". Ours has a tiny little step immediately behind the door. It's only big enough for one foot, and it's really close to the door, so double pain in the ass. I like to trail my right foot for 4-way exits. So, on climbout I put my right foot on the little step (it takes some practice to get it on the first try), grab the tail-end of the bar with both hands, do sort of a chinup, and switch my feet. Then I keep my left hand on the bar, right hand resting on top of the fuselage for balance, and right foot trailing. It's a bit complicated, and there might be a simpler way, but I haven't had many jumps to play around with it.

I jumped the Skyknights PAC a few weeks ago.

As a cameraman, I hated it.

First, the plane is too short. I was video'ing a 4way group, so we were first out. I could not kneel in front of the door with my camera helmet on. I top mount a PC120, and the aircraft was too short to kneel in front of the door without having to tilt my head. That made for a VERY uncomfortable jumprun.

Secondly, and I don't know if this applies to all PAC's or just the SkyKnights one, but there is effectively no camera step. The SkyKnights one had a small 3 inch square step immediately at the rear of the door. As for handles, the floater bar also ended at the rear of the door, and did not extend aft. That left me crunched up against the 4 way team, so I ended up hosing the exit.

The PAC is not a camera-friendly aircraft.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

I don't think I'd go quite that far. With practice, I imagine I'd be able to do a leading exit, but I'd probably have to leave a hair earlier than on a plane with a better step.

It's also possible that other PAC's are setup with a better step.

But yes, with the few jumps I have from a PAC, I did a peel exit.

_Am
__

I've been doing leading exits. I was doing leading exits last year when we practiced from a Caravan, and I'll be doing leading exits from Twin Otters at meets this year, so I might as well keep practicing leading exits. I have to leave a bit earlier and be more aggresive getting over the top, but it isn't a big deal.

I've had no troubles filiming 4 way or tandems from it.

Much like a Caravan....

That PAC I jumped at Rantoul had a step similar to the Caravan we had last year (big enough for two people, a ways back from the door). The PAC we have at Sky Knights this year has a tiny little step immediately aft of the door. I'm sure I'll get used to it, but for now it's a world of difference.

Only Pac I've jumped had one of the biggest steps I've seen on a jump plane. Guess that's an option which a couple at least don't have. As for run in speed you could probably get off and track faster.

The swiss PAC has the BIG step and rails and stuff...
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Yeah UK - Cark (North West Parachute Centre).

See this pic I posted a while ago in the PAC in the USA thread for a fairly good shot of the float bar/step on the plane they have at Cark. http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=29960; It's a bit dark but you can see a foot and a half long step rear and above the huge step that's directly below the door.

I've had no troubles filiming 4 way or tandems from it.

Much like a Caravan....

That PAC I jumped at Rantoul had a step similar to the Caravan we had last year (big enough for two people, a ways back from the door). The PAC we have at Sky Knights this year has a tiny little step immediately aft of the door. I'm sure I'll get used to it, but for now it's a world of difference.

The plane owner (Not us) removed the large step because people were floating 2-3 people on it. It was to far back and causing flight problems on jump run. I hate the camera step on the PAC right now. Its doable but really it sucks bad.

Totally hosing everyone with a 3" step because people aren't smart enough to know putting 3 ppl behind the door is bad sucks.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

The plane owner (Not us) removed the large step because people were floating 2-3 people on it. It was to far back and causing flight problems on jump run. I hate the camera step on the PAC right now. Its doable but really it sucks bad.

Totally hosing everyone with a 3" step because people aren't smart enough to know putting 3 ppl behind the door is bad sucks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I absolutely ADORE the PAC (we call them Cresco here in Oz). We were stacking up 10 ways in the door with no problem. Floating 2-3 people have not been a problem for us, just don't take too bloody long (disrupting the airlow over the tail). It is the most comfortable plane for camera exits I have jumped, with the long step and handle. Even a little girl like me can hang off on one hand.
Sorry you lost your step. It really is a wonderful plane!!!

It's never too late for a low turn!

Floating 2-3 people have not been a problem for us, just don't take too bloody long (disrupting the airlow over the tail). It is the most comfortable plane for camera exits I have jumped, with the long step and handle. Even a little girl like me can hang off on one hand.

They must build 'em small down there in Oz, 'eh? ;)

>

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Just be very aware if you are filming larger formation exits. Its C of G seems to be way out of wack for 8 ways, etc. Seems like they just lengthened the original design (Cresco) and allowed for tandem ops only.

Basically, you will be floating around on the tail whilst the plane struggles for altitude maintenance and speed.
Stay Safe - Have Fun - Good Luck

The above could be crap, thought provoking, useful, or . . But not personal. You decide.

That left me crunched up against the 4 way team, so I ended up hosing the exit.

hmmmm i guess your flying had nothing to do with hosing the exit shot?
Thats a good one though, from now on when I blow a video, I'm blaming the aircraft. i might even call the faa next time it happens. who will stand for this!!!!???? the pac 750 is making our camera flyers exit unstable and lean there heads forward in the door...hey andyman i got an idea ... go call mommy!

lance

hmmmm i guess your flying had nothing to do with hosing the exit shot?
Thats a good one though, from now on when I blow a video, I'm blaming the aircraft. i might even call the faa next time it happens. who will stand for this!!!!???? the pac 750 is making our camera flyers exit unstable and lean there heads forward in the door...hey andyman i got an idea ... go call mommy!

Wow. That's one fuck of an attitude.

_Am
__