AndyMan

Samsung Parachutist Ad?

Has everyone seen the Samsung / BestBuy two page spread in April's Parachutist?

I was amazed that a major electronics manufacturer and retailer is marketing direct to us.

The product appears to be SC-X105, as pictured here, but with an optional remote lens installed.

The remote lens appears to be larger than all of the "lipstick" style cameras I've seen discussed here, so I would expect a higher quality. It suffers the same drawback of any other remote lens, which is a direct cable connection to a recorder mounted somewhere else.

If I've linked to the right product, then it's also MPEG4 and uses a memory stick. No DV tape.

Interesting.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

MPEG4 just isn't good enough.

It's only a matter of time before someone makes a decent, usable solid state camera but this isn't it.

JVC came close with their MPEG2 camera that uses compact flash, but it doesn't have a LANC.
http://www.jvc.com/presentations/everio/overview/index.html#model

As CF capacities and speeds increase it will happen. We just need to wait a little longer.
illegible usually

I only see one benefit of this camera..

With a mechanical recorders all of us use, any hard opening ( say BASE slider down ) gets very messy on tape, with solid state media, it should be very consistant.

otherwise - $649 for a tapeless camcorder that gives less quality and less recording time than a $300 used TRV22 from ebay ???

cmon......

Isn't MPEG4 used in many HDTV systems?

I know it is used on my home Digital Cable setup, and it's certainly good enough for that. IIRC, it's also used on DirectTV - which is known for good quality video.

If MPEG4 is good enough for DirecTV and digital cable, it's certainly good enough for a tandem video.

Not that I believe this camera is good for skydiving. I can't tell that (either way) until I see more specs, and see one up close.

_Am
__

Just since its MPEG4 does'nt mean the quality level of the compression is at the same as the high bandwidth TV applications.

I agree completely. MPEG4 in itself is completely insuficient to draw a conclusion as to the clarity of the picture. I'm very curious to see an actual unit, or read a good evaluation.

The codec itself clearly is "good enough" for broadcast, so the codec itself is good enough for our use. The actual compression may or may not be. Time will tell.

_Am
__

I noticed this about it which I did not like

640K video
320 with external optic...

but for someone who just wants a quick fix on seeing thier perpective, it is 400 something dollars on ebay or so I saw.

Cheers
Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

i BOUGHT THIS CAMEA KEEP IT TWO DAYS AND RETURNED IT. POOR VIDEO, VERY SHORT BATTERY LIFE. WHEN YOU TURN THE CAMERA OFF TO CONSERVE BATTERY LIFE, THEN TURN IT BACK ON YOU HAVE TO GO BACK INTO THE CAMERA MENU TO RESELECT THE EXTERNAL CAMERA MODULE, SOMETHING THAT IS NOT ALWAYS THAT EASY JUST BEFORE A SKYDIVE...IN MY OPINION THIS THING IS NOT READY FOR MARKET. THERE ARE A LOT OF ISSUES THAT NEED TO BE WORKED OUT WITH IT TO BE USEFUL FOR SKYDIVING.

Well, I’m not ready to throw this to the curb just yet. I tend to agree it’s probably not sufficient for professional video like tandem video or 4-way video, however, it may be just fine for first person POV video.

I have no desire to put a camera on my head as I just don’t have the neck for it. I have a Sony mini DV unit (which although it is small is still heavy and a little bulky) but putting it in a fanny pack and running a bullet cam is a bit of a pain to say the least.

A friend of mine bought the Samsung unit and while he has not used it yet I have taken a gander at it. It is small enough and light enough to put in the inside chest pocket of my jumpsuit and the run the cable up to the helmet mounted “bullet” cam. So it could be very easy to get to on jump run to turn on.

Sooo, even though the video quality may not be the greatest, at the lowest level of compression (i.e. high quality video) it may be good enough. It is the smallest unit on the market and is potentially very easy to rig up for use in skydiving. So what that it has no firewire port; it does have a high speed USB 2.0 port so it is easy enough to transfer the video to a computer and burn to DVD.

I’m not giving up just yet. I’ll let you guys know as soon as I see it in action and see a DVD of the footage on my TV.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

Well, I guess it comes down to what you want to do with it.

I do a lot of first person video too, most of the video I do for shits & giggles, maybe hopefully I'll sell a few prints. At the end of the year I like to make a 'year end' video.

When I bought my first camera I was nowhere near ever getting paid to jump video, I was in a position a lot like you are. I had a few hundred jumps and wanted to start exploring video work. I bought a good camera. I'm still jumping that same camera.

For me, I take pride in the work that I do, even if for the most part I'm not doing it for a living. When I do make that end-of-year video, or when somebody wants a dub of a dive, I want it to look good. On the odd occaision that I get pulled into doing tandem work, I want gear that's up to the task.

For me, that camera is completely useless.

For the same money, (or less!), you can buy a perfectly good Sony HC20 that is almost just as small, but with a far superior image quality that I would not be embarassed to put my name on.

Don't fixate on the handful of features that makes that camera attractive to you. Look at the whole picture, and compare it to other products on the market. To me, choosing to pass this one by is a nobrainer.

_Am
__

Well, I have an HC 30 and trust me it’s not that small or light relative to the Samsung. And by the time you add in a camera helmet $300 or a bullet cam plus rigging $400 a mini DV isn’t cheaper, IMHO. I'm pretty sure I don't have the neck for wearing a camera helmet and a bullet cam degrades the resolution anyway….

While the Samnsung may turn out to be crap it does solve a lot of problems. I’m really curious to see the video quality of it first hand. I mean how many people really play skydiving video off a mini DV tape? They tape it to VHS or burn it to DVD (with MPEG compression) neither of which are near the quality of a mini DV.

I’ll wait and make my own judgment on the Samsung based on actually seeing it in action. Heck, I’ve got a friend that bought one so it’s no skin off my nose.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

The Samsung unit peaked my interest too. Sure it has limitations but it seems to be a pretty neat turn key package. I ride motorcycles as well as skydive ....always have wanted a practical helment cam.
Av1tar: you mentioned battery life- are you talking about the remote lens battery or the unit itself?

Right now, my opinion is that it probably isn't worth the ca$h...but it's a great idea that hopefully will see further development. The 2nd generation will probably kick ass.

Keep us posted Reginald...I'm curious too about what it really looks like on a TV
---------------------------------------

Finally got this month's Parachutist.

Had to smile when I saw the giant two page ad, followed by a 'review,' even though they hadn't see a unit yet.

If it gets discounted decently from its $600 list, it might work just fine for a lot of purposes. (so long as it has a 30 day return policy to examine the video quality)