vdschoor

Lens fogged up.. is there a way to fix it?

I hope some of the photoshop experts can help me..

I went up on a jump this weekend early morning and got some absolute killer shots.. BUT, for some reason the center of the lens fogged up a bit so the center of the shot is not quite what it should be...
Does anyone have a trick in photoshop that can fix this? Any help would be very much apreciated!

Iwan

There's no automatic way to fix stuff like that. What's behind the fog? If there's not much detail in it (a bunch of sky), it's probably fixable. If it's people, well, it might take a bit more work.

Exactly, that's something that will take quite a bit of work by hand if its anything besides just background images (like ground or sky).
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

There's no automatic way to fix stuff like that. What's behind the fog? If there's not much detail in it (a bunch of sky), it's probably fixable. If it's people, well, it might take a bit more work.

Exactly, that's something that will take quite a bit of work by hand if its anything besides just background images (like ground or sky).

Well.. sounds like I'm just going to have to live with it then.. in one of them it's mostly sky, with two people on each side of the "fog" the other there is a VERY cute face right in the middle of the fog....

Ah well.. I guess I'll have to jump with that person again :P

dude

take the lense of the cam and sit them in the sun out of wind etc... wait about 20 mins until they heat up, clean well with a lense cloth on the mouting side and remount and gaffer tape up to the max...

I have done this and it works a treat, no chemicals or bollox.. just nature and patience.

What fisheye lense are you using ? I hope not the canon 15 mm it has a really bad problem with the fogging in the center because of the shape of the glass ( thickness) sigma is alot better

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

What fisheye lense are you using ? I hope not the canon 15 mm it has a really bad problem with the fogging in the center because of the shape of the glass ( thickness) sigma is alot better

I actually am using the Sigma 15mm, I've only had it twice in over 500 jumps so far, but still.. the fog does appear when you think you have THE shot [:/]

CatCrap works great... I jump in Houston, and we have alot of humidity... fogging can be a real problem... On moderate days, I can put on the CC in the morning and go all day... when it is real bad I re-apply every jump... it will generally keep the fog at bay in frefall, not always under canopy though.

J
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

CatCrap works great... I jump in Houston, and we have alot of humidity... fogging can be a real problem... On moderate days, I can put on the CC in the morning and go all day... when it is real bad I re-apply every jump... it will generally keep the fog at bay in frefall, not always under canopy though.

J

Curious....Coming from So.Cal where we rarely have the fogging problem, I had a few jumps this past winter that fogged up my lens (around opening time).

I have cat crap but have mainly used it on the inside of my goggles to prevent fogging. Are you putting the cc on just the outside of your camera lens or are you also putting it on the inside as well?

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Fogging really sux! :(
Does anyone have any feedback on using Cat Crap ?

Cat Crap is great, but won't change anything in your case :P because, judging from the picture, fogging is inside your lens. Treat it with hair-dryer and put it in a sealed bag with silica gel overnight

I haven't had as much of a problem with my Sigma lens fogging inside, even when my video lens has fogged. Not sure if its just due to better quality lens or luck.

On our humid / muggy days I have been removing the lenses on the ride to alt letting them "vent" / dry out for a minute, putting it back on a few minutes before exit.

This obviously isn't always possible depending on the plane and where you are in it, but the times I have been able to, it's pretty much eliminated the internal fogging problem.

Fuzzy

Fuzzy
Ambition / Ability: Know the difference.

On my video camera, I put it on both the outside and inside lens of the wide angle, as well as the camea lens itself... On my still I put it on the outside... I hvae tried putting it on the inside, but the glass on that end is so small you can buff it out very well.

J
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

On my video camera, I put it on both the outside and inside lens of the wide angle, as well as the camea lens itself... On my still I put it on the outside... I hvae tried putting it on the inside, but the glass on that end is so small you can buff it out very well.

J

Thanks. Next time the conditions warrent in So.Cal I'll give it a try....B|

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

I have been wondering about that myself but since I live in vegas its usually not a factor. I was honestly expecting problems with all the rain we've had lately but still no problems with fog (THANKFULLY)

where can I get catcrap ( online im sure, but is there a dealer that you guys/gals would recommend?)
My photos

My Videos

Dave

You can do a rough fix that brings back 'some' detail, but you'll probably never get it as good as the original footage.

but should you have footage that needs to look a bit better...

I've taken the pic posted above, and ran it through a simple correction (best done in After Effects/Shake or simular, but batch-processing on seperate frames in PS would also work)

You basicly define the fog-spot, and then do a color correction on that region only (ramping up the contrast a bit)

If needed, drop me a PM and I can set you up with a file in After Effects..
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?