sundevil777

low profile metal reserve handle

Attached is a pic of my new low-profile reserve handle. (edit-just one pic)

How popular is this type of handle? I think I like it better than the other alternative metal handles I have seen.

What do you think of this setup with the loop cutaway handle? (of course I think is great)
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

small handle.jpg

I got the low-pro handle on my new javelin and just love it. Personally, and this is just an opinion, I think it's the ultimate compromise between a pillow handle and a metal handle. Still has the tactile difference of a metal handle with the ability to hook a thumb into it, but it's very unlikely to snag on anything like larger metal handles might, especially since my odyssey fits like a second skin.

That loop cutaway handle is a whole different story though. Don't think I'd like that. It seems like they can sort-of "flop around" and move more than either a pillow or a metal handle. But, I've never jumped one.

The cutaway handle is quite a bit more rigid than you might think, stays in place very nicely.

I like your description of "ultimate compromise". I really like being able to use the hole in either of my handles, and still like the distinct feel of a metal reserve handle (edit-opens door to criticism for unintentional inuendo).
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

really don't see too many of these around.

If you had shown up at SWC Sunday you would have seen it. Too poor at the beginning of the season?

Sorry I missed ya.

Cliff

If you had shown up at SWC Sunday you would have seen it

um dude, i was. i guess it didnt' click who we were.
i wasn't jumping though, but i was there all day. what color is you rig?? that's how i remember people

Too poor at the beginning of the season?

ya, no packing :(.

later

I've got one on each of my 4 Racers. Have been jumping them for years. I also think its a great compromise - now when I jump a rig with a regular handle I feel very vulnerable.

I really like being able to hook a thumb and not worrying about it folding under.

W

I was just curious as to how many times your reserve handle has been snagged or pulled by accident----whats the difference between your reserve loop and the cutaway loop?--I think it is a great idea -- really good if your jumping a highly loaded high performance canopy prone to spinning mals. It sure would be easier on a hard pull if you can get your hand in there for leveage--just a thought

The pimp hand is powdered up ... say something stupid

I was just curious as to how many times your reserve handle has been snagged or pulled by accident----whats the difference between your reserve loop and the cutaway loop?--

Actually, I just read a post on rec.skydiving from the 24th about a guy who had his loop cutaway pulled by a fellow freeflyer.

There may well be a point to the potential argument that since the loop cutaway is pretty rare and looks so different, it is less likely to be recognized for what it is during "combat" RW/freeflying.

But, I still like it.

I have a regular profile small handle with a loop cutaway. I didn't want to fumble around with a pillow in the event of a spinning mal, just hook a thumb and make it go away... I figure making junk go away promptly is of a higher order than an incidental cutaway from a freefall collision. Instant no canopy is easier to deal with than grab and peel while being swung out against the horizon by spinning possessed shit.
I am probably going to swap out the reserve handle for a pillow though for snaggability reasons. It will be an easy pull under no load but the pin...
Also, you may want to put a swedge on the cables of your cutaway. That way they cannot migrate around changing the lengths on each side, which can happen in time...

-Hixxx

death,as men call him, ends what they call men
-but beauty is more now than dying’s when

MVC-020F.JPG

Mmm.

I think a handle is a handle. Grab em and pull em in the right order. I have 16 reserve uses. Some mals, some wraps, some entanglements. I have 2 puffs on my rig. The reserve puff is super skinny - hard to get a grip on if you have big hands - and you really need to grip it while you pull it. I have small hands - my hand strength is good - I'm a rock climber.

Mine would not make good "borrowed gear" although it is Cypres equiped.

Terms like "ultimate compromise" don't make sense to me.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

How popular is this type of handle? I think I like it better than the other alternative metal handles I have seen

I see them a lot when I have visited Deland. I have one of my Odyssey and my teammate has one of both her rigs. If I ever get money I will replace the handle on my backup rig with a low profile one.

I like them better than reserve pads and much better than the really big D rings.

--
Jonathan Bartlett
D-24876
AFF-I

Also, you may want to put a swedge on the cables of your cutaway. That way they cannot migrate around changing the lengths on each side, which can happen in time...

-Hixxx

Sundevil777's loop cutaway does have a swedge in it, just like a standard cutaway handle.:)

Attached is a pic of my new low-profile reserve handle. (edit-just one pic)

How popular is this type of handle? I think I like it better than the other alternative metal handles I have seen.

What do you think of this setup with the loop cutaway handle? (of course I think is great)

Little bit of the topic here, but the reserve metal cable is too short on this rig (=the ball is to close to the top of reserve handle). At least that's how it looks like, looking closely at the picture, I may be wrong. Anyways, if the reserve cable is too short, there is no slack for "rig streches". There have been incinents where a reserve fired when somobody was bending on the groung with the rig on. Same can happen in freefall, of course.

For the same reason, you should never tuck the cable ball into the reserve handle pocket velcro.

Just my $.02 :)

I don't think you see what you think you see!
I took a closer look at the pic and believe "hope"
the cable is longer than it looks. "passing under main lift web out of site".
mike
-----------------------------------
Mike Wheadon B-3715,HEMP#1
Higher Expectations for Modern Parachutists.

At least that's how it looks like, looking closely at the picture, I may be wrong. Anyways, if the reserve cable is too short, there is no slack for "rig streches".

If you look closely you'll notice off to the right he still has the standard reserve handle on it, its pull out of the pocket goes under the webbing and is sitting off the the right. The low profile has then been inserted into the pocket with the cable going straight up (not in the reserve cable housing because there is already a Reserve cable in there) which is why the ball is at the top because the cable is loose and is not the cable/pin holding his current reserve in the container.

--
Jonathan Bartlett
D-24876
AFF-I

I thought I wanted a low-profile reserve handle, too, until I tried on a rig with one... I didn't like having so little of the handle to feel, or not being able to see any of it (it's an anatomy thing...). I did replace my huge old D-handle with a triangular-ish one that's standard for Racers; it's lower profile than what I had and works for me at this point, given my experience level and the type of jumping I do.

Scratch in TX

mike

I know, I know. That's why I said I might be wrong... ;). It looked to me like this, too. However, I still wanted to make that safety remark, even if it does not pertain to this picture. :P

I've never seen one before.

by Low Profile, they mean the amount of metal that sticks out of the velcro is much less (i.e. the "top" and "bottom" of the D are shorter) ?

Any other differences? Smaller diameter metal, shorter overall height of the D, etc?
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

mike

I know, I know. That's why I said I might be wrong... ;). It looked to me like this, too. However, I still wanted to make that safety remark, even if it does not pertain to this picture. :P

Sorry man...hope I didn't come off as a smart ass,
sometimes I drink n' post.
mikeB|
-----------------------------------
Mike Wheadon B-3715,HEMP#1
Higher Expectations for Modern Parachutists.