Jumperpaula

A whole new respect for those who train for teams

Had a guest Load Organizer & prearranged group to make 6 jumps.
Showed up at 7:30, stretched with the other DZ teams. Started working with my group at 8:00 stretched again...then
Dirt dive, creep, door jam, creep again, door jam again, dirt dive again, jump , pack, short debrief, repeat, debrief again ..start over with new dive.
By the end of 6 jumps I was drained.
Those of you whose team train and follow this routine EVERY WEEKEND, making 6-10 jumps a day...You are the true spirit and drive of RW. I have a whole new respect for your committment to the sport. - then still have the engery to make a sunset fun way at the end of the day? Wow. Teams Rock.
:)Thanks for all you do to help new jumpers and your committment to the sport.

Fly your slot !

how to conserve energy all day

This is something I learned about at the big way camp over the weekend. We were doing four to six jumps a day for four days straight in 95-105 degree heat. I made it through by using packers, "grazing" on healthy food throughout the day instead of eating a big lunch, constantly sucking on a bottle of water and spending down time kicking it on the floor instead of wandering around and socializing. Made it much easier to deal with the heat, the stress of big way jumps and the sheer exhaustion from doing more jumps in a few days time than I'm used to doing.
Another thing I learned is the value of stretching in the morning. I missed the morning stretch session the first day and paid for it with sore calves the rest of the weekend; I have a feeling my hard opening on the Sunday would have been much more painful had I missed out on stretching that morning.
pull & flare,
lisa
If I can't have everything, well, then just give me a taste...

I think Paula would make a great team mate. She's calm in the air, open to learning, and willing to work. Very talented.
I hear a lot of people saying that they're waiting till their skills are "good enough" to join a team. In most cases, I'd say there's no reason to wait.
If you're ready to develop your talent, open to learning, and ready to press yourself beyond what you believe are your limits, then competition skydiving is the place for you to be.
Notice there's nothing there about skill level, other than being able to skydive with your team mates without killing yourself or them. Go out and use team skydiving to develop your skills. There's no better environment for becoming "good enough".
There's great programs available these days to help novice team jumpers along. Tunnel camps/Sky U are great ways to develop basic body flight. There are a lot of team coaches around that do a great job, and most places I've been have a lot of communication between teams so that information trickles down quickly.
Along the lines of keeping your energy up during the day for those 6-12 jumps days, I think Lisa had a lot of good points. The stretching helps (especially if you expand it into your off days), "grazing" (great term) to keep your energy level up, anything that you can do physically during the week to stay in shape for that sort of jumping, and giving yourself some mental breaks during the day will keep things moving.
Lisa - Congrats on making the "Jump for the Cause" team, I shaved real close, threw on a skirt, and butchered up my face with mascara and lipstick and Kate just looked at me shook her head and said "Nice try, Sister". Guess I should have stuck with stiletto's instead of the flats.

Don

I agree, nothing will help your skydiving more than putting a 4 way group together of similar interests and skills. Kurt has done a great thing with teh rookie class for those just starting out and starting to wade in to the whole world of 4way. Jump in, join the party, it's fun!

If you're ready to develop your talent, open to learning, and ready to press yourself beyond what you believe are your limits, then competition skydiving is the place for you to be.

So, if you think that just because your new to the sport, that you have to be "really good" to be on a team, think again. I believe these guys. Being on a team GETS you "really good".
Some teams at the DZ train every weekend, some once a month....and who says you need an Otter to practice 4 way?
And it is amazing how much help the newer teams get from the more skilled teams. It's like a world they share...even has it's own language :)If only some of our low timers who are practicing freeflying could feel the rush and speed of good 4 way. - Maybe we could win some back from the dark side B|
Take a freeflyer on a fast 4 way TODAY!!
GO on GO, and Present

and who says you need an Otter to practice 4 way?

Exactly. Hell, I for one still remember when we did 4-way at nationals out of Cessna 182's! There was a plane flying right in trail of the jump plane with four video guys in it. When it was your plane's turn to exit, a vidiot would crawl out on the step of the chase plane with camera running, filming your climbout in the plane ahead. When you exited, he would fall away from the chase plane and zip over to you, generally never missing a point. The "video plane" would then cross over in trail of another team's plane and drop off another video guy. All very interesting.
I used to really live for RW competition, but just had such a terrible time finding good skydivers with a decent practice ethic that could commit, so I eventually gave up. I still rule in the air (my opinion), as do those other people I jumped with (and still do on occasion) , but find it more rewarding nowadays to just do pick-up stuff at meets, plus stay active in a great variety of other stuff: bigways, wingsuit flying, swooping, etc. I still love competition (obviously), but feel no anguish whatsoever if I don't medal. Back when 4-way was my life, I was pulling my hair out; now I just chill and enjoy the ambiance. Still, I have the utmost respect for the people who have the ways and means, plus the temperance to make it work.
Chuck
My webpage HERE

I joined a team last year: 10-way speed. All but one had less than 1000 jumps when we started practising, and a couple had fewer than 200.
We had our ups and downs, but stuck with it. Difficult to get 10 people together for several months of early morning practice. We got lots of help from experienced competitors.
Chris the "diverdriver" joined us a couple of weeks before nationals.
Everyone improved out of all recognition!
And we beat the GKs and Deguello at Nationals.

"And it is amazing how much help the newer teams get from the more skilled teams. It's like a world they share...even has it's own language !"
You got it sister!... this is THE most amazing thing about this sport-- the camaraderie, the time/energy that more advanced teams put into fostering newbie teams, the opportunity to train w/ world champions who wear no sense of entitlement... It is truly a system of begets-- great flying ability and spirit of generosity/sharing in one "generation" of skydivers begets the same behaviour in the next... and so on. What a great thing to be a part of... "gratitude" only begins to describe the feeling.

I shaved real close, threw on a skirt, and butchered up my face with mascara and lipstick and Kate just looked at me shook her head and said "Nice try, Sister". Guess I should have stuck with stiletto's instead of the flats.

It's the black gear, you needed pink grippers and a purple rig! Although, picturing you in drag put a big smile on my face.
<>
GO on GO, and Present

JP,
Just like Chuck sez... 'Cept I'm the non-commital one. But I love doing hot 4 ways and like being an alternate or put together a pick up team for the meets. Other than that I like all the aspects of the dz life: 4 way, 2 way, instructing, crew, LOs, big ways, partying, etc... You get the message. I have, however, committed to a 10 way team and some 30-40 way big ways. Half of my 10 way team compete in 4 way regularly. So I got big way practice on Friday afternoon, 5 jumps with the 40 ways on Saturday, "school" skydives on Sunday, and 10 way practice on Monday, 6 jumps. Yeah, and lots of creeper work. :)

Skydiver's Competition Manual
The part you want starts on page 45 and the specific 10-way exit hooha starts at page 46, section 5-1.6 B.
I don't think it leave a lot of room for interpretation as far as intent goes, but then again, I didn't think the old rules did either and yet there always seemed to be a bit of controversy from certain people.
Fortunately, it's never really been my issue, so I can't get too excited about all the flap.
I do think these rules could just as easily be interpreted to mean that you could launch a chunk (from behind the line), break grips, take graips and that would be your time. I know that's not the intent of the rules, but I bet somebody tries something like it!
quade
http://futurecam.com

I thought you where on that new "Otter Limits 16" team thats favored to win the Texas 16 way competition.

I am , you should be thankful that I have "a whole new respect " for team training NOW and have tips on keeping my energy level up and my mind in "the zone".
-And someone broke me in to the PACE before I show up to 16 way practice.
GO on GO, and Present

<<Subject: Re: A whole new respect for those who train for teams
Skydiver's Competition Manual
The part you want starts on page 45 and the specific 10-way exit hooha starts at page 46, section 5-1.6 B.
I don't think it leave a lot of room for interpretation as far as intent goes, but then again, I didn't think the old rules did
either and yet there always seemed to be a bit of controversy from certain people.
Fortunately, it's never really been my issue, so I can't get too excited about all the flap.
I do think these rules could just as easily be interpreted to mean that you could launch a chunk (from behind the line),
break grips, take graips and that would be your time. I know that's not the intent of the rules, but I bet somebody tries
something like it!>>>
I expect so too, but I don't think it will help all that much because of the nature of the different formations and the high possibility of funneling a chunk taken out from behind the line.

The whole concept of junior jumpers waiting "until they get good enough' is counter-productive.
Byt he time they "get good enough" they will have developed several bad habits.
Far better to start jumping with a good RW coach early on, before you develop bad habits.
My other point is that skydiving, even bellytive work is changing so rapidly that "recreational" RW skills are no longer relevant to competition.
For example, one of our instructors (with 2,000 jumps) - who used to be a die-hard 4-way competitor - recently gave up on 4-way. It seems that he is having so much difficulty mastering the mantis position, tha the figures it will be easier to learn sit-flying! Ha! Ha!