4dbill

Pond is filled up at Lodi / Acampo Parachute Center!

Sure there's plenty of value in cheap, low hop & pops. Broke & jonesin' for a couple jumps? Sure. Overcast, recurrency or checking out a canopy? Yeah. A-license requirement? Why not? Basic practice of a standard pattern & landing? You bet. A quick 2-way & dump low like in the old days? Bill will kick you off. Swooping? Nah.

Well for someone like me, starting to get into the next step past double fronts and starting to add a turn to my landings $5 hop n pops sound like a great deal. If im going to go somewhere to jump this winter lodi is definatly #1 on my list for exactly this reason. why would I go somewhere else and pay 3x as much to do the same thing?
Have you seen my pants?
it"s a rough life, Livin' the dream
>:)

Just remember that those $5 do not guarantee anything over 3k, and possibly slightly under, nor do they guarantee you flaps. By the time you get open and the fancy slider off the canopy, its time to flare! They were, however, awesome for making sure my repairs to my track suit wouldnt make it explode.

So it takes you 2985ft to open and stow your slider?

It takes me about 1000 feet to stow my RDS when I'm under the 79 ;)
Performance Designs Factory Team

Just remember that those $5 do not guarantee anything over 3k, and possibly slightly under, nor do they guarantee you flaps. By the time you get open and the fancy slider off the canopy, its time to flare! They were, however, awesome for making sure my repairs to my track suit wouldnt make it explode.

For all the hop & pop's I've made so far at Lodi, I always have gotten over 3000 feet.
But for FIVE bucks, I'll take anything over 2500 feet anyday, anywhere, anytime.
Yes, you don't always get a good cut, but all you have to do is dive/roll out. What I do it exactly that -- dive/roll out by tucking, turn 180 on a hill usually, face up, enjoy a Kodak moment for a few seconds and dump. I actually PREFER no cut, since it give me more air to play with. :)There is plenty of time stowing away the slider, loosen the chest strap, etc. No traffic, no bad spot -- it's the greatest way to test out new canopies and of course, to see how much you can squeeze every possible ounce out of 90 degree swoops.

Well for someone like me, starting to get into the next step past double fronts and starting to add a turn to my landings $5 hop n pops sound like a great deal. If im going to go somewhere to jump this winter lodi is definatly #1 on my list for exactly this reason. why would I go somewhere else and pay 3x as much to do the same thing?

GL with lodi in the winter...

Swooping? Nah.

That's a bit of a short sighted comment, Andy. There are lots of different sorts of swooping...

Sure, it's probably not appropriate for competition canopies and pilots doing large turns, but how is it not suitable for jumpers just starting to swoop.

2500ft is ample time to enter a preplanned pattern and start an approach for double fronts or 90's under a medium loading on pretty much any canopy a novice swooper will be jumping.

I think the 10% estimate is a little bit of an exaggeration. I've seen people get 250 feet or so with an aggressive 90 degree turn but I haven't seen anyone get 2500 feet with a bigger turn. Limiting your turns to 90 degrees probably limits your potential somewhere in the ballpark of 50%.

On the other hand, I do not understand why people have such a blase attitude about the ban on swooping at Lodi. It can no longer be argued that swooping is reckless and violates basic safety. It is a recognized discipline in the sport. A skydiving operation that bans swooping is not much different from an airport that bans skydiving.

I think the 10% estimate is a little bit of an exaggeration.

Agreed.

I get around 75km/h with a 90. With a good 270 the speeds are around somewhere around 115km/h to 120km/h (measured with VISO)

I think at full flight I exeed 10% even when flying straight in...

It can no longer be argued that swooping is reckless and violates basic safety.

So why's it allowed in most of the DZ's worldwide and is made as a separate discipline in this sport as well?
"Dream as you'll live forever, live as you'll die today." James Dean

As someone who started the thread, trying to tell others a great place to swoop/practice swoop a pond just for 5 bucks, I am going to try my best to stay out of politics. Obviously, dozens of others and I jump there because we feel the place is safe, inexpensive and friendly with quick load turnaround.

Having said that, has there ever been a meet/contest of 90 degree carve swooping for speed/distance? If not, I think we should start one! I hate to see a good pond just sit there, not being fully utilized for whatever we have to work with. Also, I am curious of what the limit would be with just 90 degree turns.

I can probably have my company sponsor a mini-meet. I first need to get DZ's permission, get a radar gun, come up with a day, etc. No promises, but it would be interesting to see.
Of course, there would some prize money -- not in the thousands, but maybe a few hundred.
Would anyone interested? We probably need at least 10 participants.
Stay tuned.

We got the DZO's permission to be able to have a meet!
Details and the date are yet to be determined, but will happen soon before the water dries up.
We WILL have,

1. Radar gun.
2. $5 jumps from 3000'
3. Prize money!
4. Hot chicks and 6-pack hunks (maybe).

Reply to this message if you or others are interested in first ever Lodi's 90 degree swoop meet/competition. Watch this thread for more details and rules.

Would any PD Factory Team pilot be interested in giving a workshop/lecture? Wink wink..

Okay.. the First Lodi 90 Degree Swoop Money Meet is on!
The ongoing website is up at,
http://4dwireless.net/lodi90/
This event should settle just how fast great 90's can be.
Please post you comments, suggestions and concerns. Thanks.

4DBill

Lodi Ninety Money meet is on the Facebook! Pre-Register and save moola!
http://www.facebook.com/p.php?i=100000044890285&k=Z6E3Y5W6QVWG4JAJPB63QTUVPSDGYYYNUWEWEEVOPU&oid=189222898973

Remember, whoever swoops the whole pond gets $300! I highly doubt that anybody can do it with a 90, but you never know!

4D Bill

Talk about putting your money where your mouth is. Respect! :)

Just a couple of thoughts.... Promote it to spectators locally, attract a bigger crowd to the DZ, let them make a skydive there - should help Bill see see the benefits of swooping at his place, maybe soften him up... i doubt it, but you never know.

Maybe make it the Thanksgiving weekend and some out of state people would show up too. I've been thinking of making a shit load of cheap jumps in a weekend, this may be it :)

Okay.. the First Lodi 90 Degree Swoop Money Meet is on!
The ongoing website is up at,
http://4dwireless.net/lodi90/

Calling all volunteers. We have the following positions for Saturday and possibly Sunday if we don't finish on Saturday.
1. Score keeper.
2. Flag positioners for point of water entry and exit.
3. Distance measurer between 2 flags using a measuring wheel.
4. Radar gun operator.
5. Cheerleaders, more than merrier.
6. Photographer, more than one preferably.
7. Videographer, more than one preferably.
8. Video editor/assistance for Macbook Final Cut.
etc, etc.

The most popular position requested is the radar gun operator. There is something said about pointing a huge big fat pistol at some nutcase falling from the sky! :) I am sure there is enough jumps to be shared.
It's going to be fun fun fun.. both as jumpers and spectators.

4DBill

A VERY ROUGH cut of the first annual Lodi 90 meet is up on Youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEwmDFEXbDs
Final edited version will be posted within a couple of weeks.

Do you have results like winning speed and distance?

That would be especially interesting when compared to competitor's measurements with traditional technique at the same DZ elevation.