m0ng00se007

PD Factory Team X-Project Update 2

See you at the FLCPA meets this year Mike?

Highly unlikely man. I already cut the chest strap down to normal size... i dont deserve to have the longest one in the world. Also pulled out my old Mirage to accommodate my new canopy which will be in the 150 sq. foot range. It's done. I'm retired.

Because you are required to have a chest strap connected in competition. Clearly "chest strap" is loosely defined. :) I think the chest strap rule is for media purposes. Same with requiring athletic shoes, helmets, etc. The public wants to see similar protection to sports with similar speeds (motocross, etc.).

Cheers,
Travis

Because you are required to have a chest strap connected in competition.

According to what IPC rule? I know at least two competitors at the last WPC in South-Africa who were swooping with their chest straps disconnected (while landing that is, not while exiting the plane).

Because you are required to have a chest strap connected in competition.

According to what IPC rule? I know at least two competitors at the last WPC in South-Africa who were swooping with their chest straps disconnected (while landing that is, not while exiting the plane).

So...I'm not sure where I got that from. I think I may have been wrong. I know some mirage rigs are now equipped with a belly band for hte purpose of being able to disconnect one's chest strap, but still have something across the front.

Cheers,
Travis

From the blog, sounds like a corporate assessment/ hazing exercise.

Which in turn supports the notion that skydiving has just become another business.

PD is blogging about the tryouts here...

http://www.thepdblog.com/pdblog/

B|

Well.. it is.. they are representing the sport in many public events through demos, they are representing the company (PD) in public. I think it is only fair they have a very strict selection program as to who they let in.
I think they'd pick an average canopy pilot who is extremely professional and has great people skills over a badass pilot who has no people skills any time..

You can teach someone to get better at flying their parachute, but it's a lot harder getting someone to act professional if thats not "who they are"

I think its a great excercise they are doing.

Iwan

And I think, it's total and utter bullshit, aka "Eat my shit". I venture to argue that the self-proclaimed best canopy pilots in the world, have a decent knowledge who (a) is capable skill-wise, and (b) would fit the PD culture and mission. They could have just made a couple of phone calls: e.g., are you interested, here is what's in for you.

No need for a "Project-X" (!!); imho, it's unadulterated, unabashed self-aggrandization. As supported by the blog entries.

Which in turn supports the notion that skydiving has just become another business.

PD is blogging about the tryouts here...

http://www.thepdblog.com/pdblog/

B|

Well.. it is.. they are representing the sport in many public events through demos, they are representing the company (PD) in public. I think it is only fair they have a very strict selection program as to who they let in.
I think they'd pick an average canopy pilot who is extremely professional and has great people skills over a badass pilot who has no people skills any time..

You can teach someone to get better at flying their parachute, but it's a lot harder getting someone to act professional if thats not "who they are"

I think its a great excercise they are doing.

Iwan

You mean like this? Suffice it to say that my beer-can chicken beats all others. I still fail to see what that has to do w/ canopy piloting or professionally representing a company.

"Day 2 became individual presentation day. Candidates were asked to prepare a 10 minute presentation on any topic they wanted. They came up with some interesting ones ranging from catching alligators, cooking chicken on a beer can, purchasing antique cars to building water towers!"

But suffice it to say that, "This ultimate intimate setting is where teammates are making their final selection from 15 lucky and deserving swoopers, all vying for the ultimate dream job: a spot on the PD Factory Team." "This immediately began the tension that will surely carry throughout the selection process. Individuals are now thrust together in a working environment where The PD Factory Team members closely monitor reactions and responses."

Everybody hail the PD factory team? Still looks like a collegiate hazing exercise.

Project X is bringing the process and a goal to a lot of people. A lot more positive with in our sport then simply picking some friends who are top canopy pilots.

Public speaking is public speaking, regardless of the topic. Having had the pleasure to not only meet but compete (well, I was in the same competition, but I wasn't really competition for those guys) against the PD team, I will say that their willingness and ability to chat is important.

You'll believe what you want to believe, no matter what I say. Are you sore that you weren't the one to simply "get a phone call" and you didn't send in an application? Don't be angry, do what we all do: keep competing, keep jumping and most importantly keep having fun.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

They are looking for presentation skills because they want people who are not afraid to stand in front of crowds and teach canopy courses. I admire what they are doing.

Jerry Seinfeld on public speaking...

"“According to most studies, people's number one fear is public speaking. Number two is death. Death is number two. Does that sound right? This means to the average person, if you go to a funeral, you're better off in the casket than doing the eulogy.”

It is not all about how far can swoop. It is about not making an ass out of yourself and misrepresenting the company.

;)

It might sound like a corporate gig, but that's because it is. The whole thing is a job interview, and they're hiring a face to represent their company to their customers.

Bitch all you want, but at least they're willing to put their money where their mouth is. Private DZ, dedicated Otter, a pile of food, you have to hand it to PD for doing it right.

And really, if you don't like it, don't go. Oh wait, you weren't invited. Problem solved.

If you really don't like it, don't jump PD canopies. If you think the problem is all of skydiving, not just PD, don't jump at all.

There is also the dynamic of seeing how the prospectives interact with each other and the existing team members in addition to how they individually present.
Can't see it's any different than putting together a great band...talent is only 1/3...
Nice work Harry and PD! I wish Harry were shooting with a good camera tho.

Don't be angry, do what we all do: keep competing, keep jumping and most importantly keep having fun.

I love AD now. I remember him when he was a pompous little newbie. Now he speaks like a wise jedi swooper. heehee

There is always someone better than you. You don't ALWAYS have to be the winner. The RATS have been competing for more years than I care to admit and we always have fun whether we are in first or last.

I remember him when he was a pompous little newbie. Now he speaks like a wise jedi swooper

Do "little" and "AggieDave" really belong in the same sentence? :)

He is wise though, not quite GW-wise, more like Baxter, only bigger and with less hair.

That's a good list and good group of people! Although, I imagine there are some top pilots who are upset though. When it comes to flying ability AND personality AND ability to talk to people, I think that look like a great group.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

In the end everything seems to have worked for everyone. Glad to hear it.

P.S.: I still have to wonder how the original 4 or 5 PD factory pilots ever qualified for such a demanding job? In the absence of a skillz camp, and presentations on beer can chicken, that is.

Public speaking is public speaking, regardless of the topic. Having had the pleasure to not only meet but compete (well, I was in the same competition, but I wasn't really competition for those guys) against the PD team, I will say that their willingness and ability to chat is important.

You'll believe what you want to believe, no matter what I say. Are you sore that you weren't the one to simply "get a phone call" and you didn't send in an application? Don't be angry, do what we all do: keep competing, keep jumping and most importantly keep having fun.