Gawain

Aerodyne "Renaissance" ?? ??

For months in Parachutist I've seen these ads promising a "renaissance". I'm curious...anyone have any info about when we might see some details, and what may be happening? Their web-site reveals nothing... ;)
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

I think it's called the Quadrathlon or Pentathlon or something.:D:D

BWAHAHAHAH.

Just kidding....I think it may be a slightly tapered 7 cell maybe, but with or with out crew mods depending on how you order it..but that is pure gossip.

ramon

"Revolution is an abrupt change in the form of misgovernment.", Ambrose Bierce.

I know Aerodyne hired one of PD's former execs about a year ago and some so anything could be possible. I'd heard rumors of a 9 cell line to go head to head against PD's Sabre2/Stiletto and Icarus Safire2/Crossfire2.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I recently read about them joining with the guy who started Parachute de france. Plus some other company which makes gliders. Aerodyne International I think is the name. From what I understand several new canopies will be introduced, and they will be made by PISA.

There was an article in Skydiving, I think it was skydiving and not parachutist, a month or so ago. They talkeda bout the set up of the new aerodyne and a little behind the thinking and the company set up. Good article but I think stated that nothing was going to be ofically released until PIA. Somebody probably remembers the wtire up better than me!

Scott C.
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

I think there might me some info here

There's a ton of information there. 4 new canopies, and a new container. The descriptions are very MarketingSpeak(tm), so it's tough to figure out what they actually are...

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

There is now Aerodyne International, which is a holding company. They wholly own Aerodyne Research in the US, Aerodyne Systems (if I remember the name right) that is PISA renamed, and Aerodyne Technology which is French. 3 separate companies all part of Aerodyne International. All according to Ian Bellis of Aerodyne, previously employee of PD. Live from the PIA business meeting in Jacksonville.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Finally, someone is taking a fresh approach.
It looks like Parachutes de France lost most of their designers to the new Aerodyne.

It will be interesting to see how Parachutes de France fares in the long run. Does anyone remember what happened to Para-Flite after they fired Manley Butler and Troy Loney? Does anyone care what happened to Para-Flite?
The Icon container looks like a minor update of Parachutes de France's latest Atom h/c. Does the Student Icon have clear pin covers?

As for the "little flaps that prevent the links from turning the corner and ripping the reserve container off", Troy Loney introduced them on the EOS, circa 1980 and I re-introduced them on the Sidewinder a couple of years ago.

It will be interesting to see how closely the new Smart reserve follows in the foot steps of P.deF's Techno reserve. Does it have concave non-loaded ribs and Spectra span-wise reinforcing tapes?

Anyways, I wish the new Aerodyne success with their clean sheet approach.

Got to finish packing (laundry) so I can get on that plane (airliner) to Jacksonville, so I can examine their new products first hand.

PISA renamed? I guess that's why they have the color coded line attachment points on a couple of their canopies. I wonder why all canopies don't have that feature. I'm really happy to be learning to pro-pack on the Hornet because it's so obvious which lines are which and what's happening. Anyway, if PISA has become Aerodyne, that might be the end of cheap canopies out of SA. All around, I'm pretty intrigued by all the new gear. I can't wait to hear more!

PISA renamed? I guess that's why they have the color coded line attachment points on a couple of their canopies. I wonder why all canopies don't have that feature. I'm really happy to be learning to pro-pack on the Hornet because it's so obvious which lines are which and what's happening. Anyway, if PISA has become Aerodyne, that might be the end of cheap canopies out of SA. All around, I'm pretty intrigued by all the new gear. I can't wait to hear more!

I can't find any mention of PISA being renamed Aerodyne Systems. Aerodyne International's web site mentions that AS is out of South Africa, but other than that I can find no connection. It may be that PISA is just being used as a contractor to build the canopies, and that AS is a corporation set up to manage that. Or something. If AS really was a renamed PISA, then I would expect to see PISA's canopy on AI's site along with AR's. [The acronyms are confusing me:S.] The Tempo sells too well and has too much market share to just throw that away.

I think whats happened are a few of the people from PISA have left and started their own companies in SA that make up Aerodyne Systems (Pty.) Ltd. It looks like the manufactoring will be taking place in SA so either they are working with PISA, or they are now going to go head to head with PISA in that same market.

With head talent from PD, PdF, and PISA all working on every aspect of this new company... this could be a serious threat to PdF and PISA while taking sales away from PD if the canopies life up to those designers previous works.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Principles in the New Aerodyne include Ian Bellis (formerly of P.D.), Ned Luker (of PISA) and several designers from Parachutes de France.

PISA will do all the manufacturing. Sadly, all their old canopies will disappear. A move that makes Canadian customers unhappy. Though Ned does not look very happy either.
The only old Aerodyne canopy that will survive is the Triathlon series.
We will have to wait and see how Aerodynes's new canopies compare with the competitors.
The new Icon container looks like a minor change to PdeF's Atom series. The only improvement is a longer middle link on the 3-Rings. Bill Booth chuckled that they had devoted lots of time and effort to refining the least important part of the 3-Ring system, however Mr. Booth still expects Aerodyne to sell a lot of risers because the new design includes more shiny stainless steel hardware! He! He!
The biggest disappointment was that Aerodyne is still waiting for their TSO approval. They re-assured us that it is merely a question of how long it takes for the paperwork to clear.

The New Aerodyne has devoted huge amounts of money to marketing, we only hope that their efforts pay off with better canopies.

They had a nice display at PIA and Ian spoke very positively of the new designs. The rig looks ok, not fabulous, but certainly nice and solid. Their three-ring adaptation was interesting. I sat through the spiel that Ian gave about it. In a nut shell, it allows the system to be built with less accuracy and still be within tolerance.

I was sitting with Kelly from VSE and Bill from Mirage, all next to Bill Booth. After the session was over we all looked at Bill (Booth) and said "Well?"

He seemed relatively indifferent about it, but said there was certainly merit to it. The studies that were done on the new system aren't complete. They show load at the release loop only and don't take into account several other issues that will change pull forces. The increase in performance is basically about a 1.5 pound reduction of pull at the loop. Certainly a slight improvement, but not huge.

They were also being tight-lipped about the price of the piece. I'm sure it won't be cheap (comparatively), but we'll just have to wait and see!

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return..."

They were also being tight-lipped about the price of the piece. I'm sure it won't be cheap (comparatively), but we'll just have to wait and see!

it will retail at like 1600 and some change. it comes standard with stainless steel, and hip rings, custome colors, everything. the only 3 options are a hacky, freefly pud, or a soft reserve pud. comes starndard with everything else.

later

How much for the "improved riser"?

i'm not sure yet. i have a cd with all of the prices one it, but i have to get over to my moms to get it back from her. i will let ya know tomorrow if someone else doesn't post about them first.

but, i'm not sure if they are completly done yet, they may still have some work to get finished, but i'm not sure, they could be done already.

later

Principles in the New Aerodyne include Ian Bellis (formerly of P.D.), Ned Luker (of PISA) and several designers from Parachutes de France.

PISA will do all the manufacturing. Sadly, all their old canopies will disappear. A move that makes Canadian customers unhappy. Though Ned does not look very happy either.

From a business perspective, this doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Even if we discount all of PISAs other products, the Tempo is a tested, TSOd, well regarded canopy with solid market share. It just doesn't make sense for Aerodyne to scrap all of that and start over from scratch with a brand new reserve.

P.S. There is a picture of the new middle ring on Aerodyne International's web site.

Even if we discount all of PISAs other products, the Tempo is a tested, TSOd, well regarded canopy with solid market share. It just doesn't make sense for Aerodyne to scrap all of that and start over from scratch with a brand new reserve.

oh cource it makes sence. the tempo is a great reserve, i'm not saying it isn't. but it is a old design. as is the raven, and even the pd reserves. i'm not saying these reserves are crap, but were all designed a long time ago. the new reserves are much better, much better flare, glide, all around better. and is under tso c-23d, as to the old tempo under 23c. i know the guy who helped design it, and did the drop test (if you look on the site, dominic hayhurst, under staff).

later