airborne82nd

How high do you start your swoop

How high do some of you start your swoop?

what wing loading?

what canopy?

and double front riser single with harness whats your technique?

i do 180 4-5 second dive on a crossfire2 149 single front riser at 320 ft around loading at 1.42

i do the same on a crossfire 2 129 but at 400 ft with some of the other front riser to slow the turn. loaded 1.57

i am getting a 139 i guess i will do 180 at around 350ft

thank you for your merry indulgence responces.

i am veryinterested to learn other peoples methods.

merry christmas

270 on a Crossfire2 119 1.8ish from 650

technique is brakes release brakes start harness double fronts to double fronts offset to steepend or slow the turn depending then to double fronts to stop turn and finish turn...I would guess 6-7 seconds for the turn

180 on same from 500 feet same turn technique and time is around 6-7 seconds as well...

thing is I did the same altitudes on the 129 but slowed the turn a lot to make it work...

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

Crossfire 99 at 1.7WL
270 at 450ft (sea level)
probably 4 in half seconds in dive
**I surge into the dive.

Be careful sir. That is a fast turn rate and a low altitude to be turning from for that wingloading and degree of turn. A proper turn on a crossfire should be longer in my opinion.

Cheers,
Travis

Hurricane 120 loaded between 1.7 and 1.8

I use a braked approach, i let them up, get on the doubles and then slowly let one of the risers up to initiate the turn...

90 deg turn - 350 feet

180 deg turn - 550 feet

These are rough turn guides, i use my eyes a lot to judge when to go, and whether i've gone low or high and need to dive her longer or bail.

Our DZ is 5000ft asl

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

i can only say wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i flwe a crossfire2 119 did a slow 180 at 475 ft.

i weigh 185 so the dive is long but i can still see where i am going and where to plain out. but i can not imagine doing more then a 180 and at any higher altitute and at any higher wing loadig and at any higher speed.

i am hunting a crossfire2 139 now since i have gone up and down and need to make it back on bad spots

i need to fly the 139 and wok on my effiency accuracy and squeezing the safe speed out of that for a long time safely if i can ever move on.

seriously if i ever move on. i am a beginer swooper and do ok and very safe but i can not imagine doing the manuevers and methods you guys use.

the skill and the precsision you guys have.

hats off to you guys.

thanks for the input it helps me and i can apply what you guys do on a much smaller level.

one thing though i use my eyes to look at my diital alti very strickly i am methodical and i slowly adjust i dont go to a 270 i just do 180's but i i wonder if my eyes will ever develop i cant imagine swooping with out the digital.

thank you for sharring

Good choice stepping back to the 139 and taking it slow. Get some coaching...it will help you learn tremendously.

Also, the higher wingloading on the 120 should not limit you on making it back from a long spot as long as the proper technique is used. I've been on some ridiculously long spots doing tandem videos over the last couple years and have been on sub-100 sq ft. canopies for a couple years and have had no spot that would have been easier to get back from with a larger canopy. In fact, going into the wind you actually have an advantage with the higher loaded canopy.

Cheers,
Travis

Velocity 90 loaded at ~2.3 lbs/sq. ft.

turn: 270 degrees

-5 seconds from input to plane out
-begin with single riser input and quickly wrap the turn around with harness
-begin turn at ~700 feet

turn: 450 degrees

-8 seconds from input to plane out
-mostly harness turn the entire dive with increasing turn rate throughout and one good "wrap" around through the last 90-180
-begin turn at ~850 feet

Velocity 96...similar turns, initiation altitude ~30-50ft. lower

Cheers,
Travis

While your level of "being impressed is noted,you should also note that none of these guys claim to do it "well".;) And not everything posted here is a good example. Take it all with a grain of salt, get some coaching, and you'll live long in this sport.

-We are the Swoophaters. We have travelled back in time to hate on your swoops.-

DUDE!! Update your profile or lie to us. You're scaring me! Did you really go from a hurricane loaded at 1.5 to this JVX at 1.9 (underloaded IMHO)?! This is no joke, especially at altitude.

-We are the Swoophaters. We have travelled back in time to hate on your swoops.-

While your level of "being impressed is noted,you should also note that none of these guys claim to do it "well".;) And not everything posted here is a good example. Take it all with a grain of salt, get some coaching, and you'll live long in this sport.

Oh sure, Townsend. Post that right after I posted...:P

Cheers,
Travis

Paul is a sexy man, but no where near as sexy as I am. hahahaa I Usually jump a 96 velocity loaded around 2.3ish. I perform a 450 turn from about 1100' with the full RDS. Field elevation is 5500' - 6500' for me. With the bag and pilot chute on i do the turn around 950-1000'. I have a jvx 89, but I have only put two jumps on it yet, so I do not know what altitude I should be yanking and banking on that canopy. I'm waiting to get a rig in that fits the canopy, as I do not want to make a bad opinion of the canopy because of a shitty fitting rig.

I guess this thread is more of a poll to see what people are doing for turns and the altitudes, but i would caution anyone from basing their turn altitudes from what they read on here. Everyone is different, and has a different technique. What I do may not work for Ian or Paul, and what they do may not feel comfortable for me.

Please be carefull out there. I hope every one of you had a good holidays.:)

270 single-front-riser with harness on a Sabre2 120 loaded approx 1.45:1: 400 feet.

Come out of the turn with a little opposite harness input, and it seems to work very well. Rear-riser or toggle flare, depending on the landing.

Sometimes on cold days I need to start maybe 50 feet lower.
"Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission."

i assure you i am flying crossfire 139 129 and occasionly my sons crossfire 1 119.

i am doing a strict 180 at 350 with the 139 and 425 ft with a 129.

this is a research poll but in no was is it the basis for my methods.

i am a baby swooper and am taking it slowly with baby steps and baby advances.

i am trying to understand the mechanics of swooping form my level to the level some of you are at with lodaing 2.3 and swoops starting at 1100ft.

the more i understand swopping and canopy flight the safer i am. learning the dynamics of pro swoop helps give me the understanding and the path. everyone started somewhere its just amazing to me how fast some of you come in.

i am years away but slowly moving frward

Samurai 170 @ 1.2.

180 at about 440ft, but I need to bring it down to about 400-420 because of a change in my turn technique.

Start from brakes, double-fronts, then offset-double-fronts for the turn. Slow, smooth release of the fronts is all I need to plane out on this canopy.