kateh

swoop comp for the ladies?

While I'd like to see everyone (men and woman) compete together, I am in total support of anything that will bring more woman into swooping.

Being that you want to hold this in FL I'm sure you can find far better coaches than I, but I'll offer up my services as a donation if you're interested in having someone debrief competitors.

Blues,
Ian
To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders. ~ Lao-Tzu

It's all good, they're my brothers ~ Mariann Kramer

just as with the freefall portion of skydiving....

wtf does your sex have to do with your ability? Either you can or you cant compete..

segregation sucks...

Gender/Sex has nothing to do with ability. It is the forum of swooping and allowing women to have a chance to do so in a competitive environment with other women which may, indeed, lead to less fear in competing with men in the future. It is a step, I believe, meant to eliminate the segregation and get more women to swoop and compete doing so! I don't see what the big fuss is all about.

I would say that it doesnt but that I can see why it woudl be awesome to have a comp like this...

I can help set up a website for you guys if you want to set that up or do design or whatever...

also if I am in florida I will help in whatever capacity you feel neccecairy (except for being a spell checker)

Dave
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

Hey Kate...........I think it would be a COOL idea to put something together for just girls, even if it just opens some more female eyes to the competition side of things.

I wouldn't want to split the CPC meets just because competition is competition and as I grow, I want to be viewed as part of the "entire pack" but for the ladies currently standing on the side watching - I promise, it is a great way to learn and it is NOT as scary as you might think.

The SE region boys have accepted me with open arms and have been a great source of learning. Even at the Regional level, at the CPC Championships, the support for the girls who participated was great all around.

Let me know how it turns out. The new season is just around the corner.

Dreams become reality, one choice at a time...

If women want to have their own special olympics that's their prerogative but I think it is degrading to treat their gender as a handicap.

I don't think that gender is a handicap, but my size definately does not play in my favour at all.
Even with weights on, I am still loading a cross braced canopy at 1.65.
Pathetic in the bigger scheme of things. I cannot keep up the guys under canopy and I cannot swoop as far (Just yet), so I would like the opportunity to see how I fare like against like.

I am not super keen to add too many more weights, that can just get dangerous and I am not keen to put on weight (as a human) to increase my performance.

Rock and a hard place - or rather a Featherweight division vs Heavyweight

I would love to see this happen.
A combination skills camp included as well.
Please can you post dates, costs etc.

And when I have the experience and guts (I don't have balls :P) I will downsize and get the wongloading working a bit more.
But until then, these are awesome opportunities to get more girls into the discipline.

I think true friendship is under-rated

Twitter: @Dreamskygirlsa

If women want to have their own special olympics that's their prerogative but I think it is degrading to treat their gender as a handicap.

I don't think that gender is a handicap, but my size definately does not play in my favour at all.
Even with weights on, I am still loading a cross braced canopy at 1.65.
Pathetic in the bigger scheme of things. I cannot keep up the guys under canopy and I cannot swoop as far (Just yet), so I would like the opportunity to see how I fare like against like.

I am not super keen to add too many more weights, that can just get dangerous and I am not keen to put on weight (as a human) to increase my performance.

Rock and a hard place - or rather a Featherweight division vs Heavyweight

from jim slaton..

"Since 1999 I have been saying that the future of swooping (Canopy Piloting) will include weight classes and multiple wings. I am still saying this today and if it were entirely up to me there would have been weight classes this year (2006). The WSA voted and all agreed that there were not yet enough swoopers yet to justify "weight classes". I do not believe this but either way it is going to happen in the future."

i think you will get your fair competitions soon as it seems others agree with your assesment.

i think you will get your fair competitions soon as it seems others agree with your assesment.

I hope so. It still goes back to my belief that we should all compete together; however, there should be some fairness. I load my Velo 120 at around 2.3:1 with no weight beyond what God, some pizza and beer, gave me. Now I have a guy (or girl) jumping a Velo/VX/Xaos/JVX/Whatever 70 with 30lbs of lead to get a 2.2:1 wingloading. They could most definately beat me by outflying me (not hard), BUT they are still at a distinct disadvantage.

Seperating the sexes for full competition isn't the answer, but leveling the playing field would be good so we could all still compete together. Even if that's seperated by weight classes.

Light weight, Heavy weight and Unlimited classes would be fun. I think a decent majority would jump in the unlimited class, though.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I was there but only as a spectator... I got hooked that way and been working on it ever since. Participated in 2004 and 2005. This year was rained out 2x. Thanks for the positive vibe. I believe some of the skeptics are missing the point here.

I wouldn't say "rained out", but there were "challenging conditions":D

I ain't complaining, I walked away with $1000.......:)
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I was there but only as a spectator... I got hooked that way and been working on it ever since. Participated in 2004 and 2005. This year was rained out 2x. Thanks for the positive vibe. I believe some of the skeptics are missing the point here.

I wouldn't say "rained out", but there were "challenging conditions":D

I ain't complaining, I walked away with $1000.......:)

heh

I walked away with a really sore back

Dave

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

I hope so. It still goes back to my belief that we should all compete together; however, there should be some fairness. I load my Velo 120 at around 2.3:1 with no weight beyond what God, some pizza and beer, gave me. Now I have a guy (or girl) jumping a Velo/VX/Xaos/JVX/Whatever 70 with 30lbs of lead to get a 2.2:1 wingloading. They could most definately beat me by outflying me (not hard), BUT they are still at a distinct disadvantage.

Seperating the sexes for full competition isn't the answer, but leveling the playing field would be good so we could all still compete together. Even if that's seperated by weight classes.

Light weight, Heavy weight and Unlimited classes would be fun. I think a decent majority would jump in the unlimited class, though.

see now this idea intrigues me...

I like it, I would help set up this event as well as a ladies swooping event

Dave

Kate,
I think its a great idea.

I really like the ideas thrown around about leveling the playing field, and having a blast out there while learning. Many sports have a women's division, why not try it (if just for fun) with swooping? Sorry guys, but I got crushed at cpc nationals with no weights and my vx60... my weight and wingloading sure didn't help, but those guys were a league of their own.
:)

Kate,
I think its a great idea.

I really like the ideas thrown around about leveling the playing field, and having a blast out there while learning. Many sports have a women's division, why not try it (if just for fun) with women? Sorry guys, but I got crushed at cpc nationals with no weights and my vx60... my weight and wingloading sure didn't help, but those guys were a league of their own.
:)

britt, just having your smiling face around was awesome. you made a bigger impression on the sport than you think.;)

I am all for something competitive for the ladies. it is good to see someone wanting to push ahead with it. thanks, Kate!