mewing120

Odyssey Opinion

Love em...best rig on the market. I have a G3 and an odyssey...I am getting another odyssey. Check out the gear reviews, but I just think that it is better in looks, safety, and its sooooo comfortable. I honestly forget that I am wearing it sometimes. This thing doesnt inhibit your flying ability in anyway whatsoever.

i LOVE my Odyssey!!

i had (really really old) used gear for two years. scary used gear with exposed risers and all... so i said screw it, and ordered all new gear, with all the bells and whistles on my credit card. and i'm so glad i did.

you're going to love it. (next time you might want to ask for opinions before you order though, incase they're not positive responses)

pull low, hook it
http://www.exitshot.com

I researched a long time before putting in the order and read a lot of opinions from this site as well as others. I just wanted actual owners because it seems like people who don't own one always have an opinion that could be biased. Thanks for the info though. I should have it in 2 mo.

Ora Vivo

I just ordered my oddyssey also... well a few weeks ago... dont plan on getting it in a rush.. sunpath has 600 millitary rigs to build before us peons get ours:( anyways hope you like it... this will be my (i know I am about to say it ) first javelin, I have jumped a few oddysseys when demoing gear and loved them..
later
-yoshi

i had (really really old) used gear for two years. scary used gear with exposed risers and all

yes very old, and VERY scary old sweet hog. and if i remember you started to do some freeflying in that rig, or did you wait until you got your odyssey.

later

hey Kelly, i did like 1 freefly jump in it, before i knew any better, and the reserve flap came open and hit the back of my head. but that happened on belly dives as well. otherwise, No, i stcuk to the rw crap will i got my new rig.

and YOSH! congrats :) what colors did you get????
http://www.exitshot.com

hey Kelly, i did like 1 freefly jump in it, before i knew any better, and the reserve flap came open and hit the back of my head. but that happened on belly dives as well. otherwise, No, i stcuk to the rw crap will i got my new rig.

that was probably a good idea, you may not be here now if you haddn't made that desision. could of had a nice horseshoe, with a nice reserve all tangled in the mess, could of been ugly.:S

i can still remember when i was on mullins plane last year at the boggie (or was it the year before) and you asked him if he would by you a nice new javelin. i thought it was funny as hell.:ph34r::D

i think kevin colors are gold, kelly green, and white. i'm not sure where, but i do know it's a mix of diamondback, and parapak

later

i had (really really old) used gear for two years. scary used gear with exposed risers and all

yes very old, and VERY scary old sweet hog. and if i remember you started to do some freeflying in that rig, or did you wait until you got your odyssey.

later

hehe... :$ i too owned a sweet hog (yom 1986), but i couldn't (my brain said no go, but everything else said GO) make myself to not jump freefly with it... it was scarry, especially when a fellow skydiver killed himself due to a horseshoe on a similar rig... but i went on... so, you can call me stupid, idiot, you can call me whatever you like, but you must admit, that i'm one hell of a LUCKY MOTHERfaka!! :P

Check out the site of the Fallen Angels FreeflY Organisation:
http://www.padliangeli.org

I don't own an Odyssey, so my oppinion can be ignored, however, I did quite a bit of extensive research until finally deciding upon a Vector III Micron. Anyway, the only negative I have found about the Odyssey (for the sake of knowledge) is this. There are no secondary riser covers, which in SOME cases depending upon how you pack, size of rig, etc... can expose the risers. However, the top freefly team in the world, all three teammates jump the Odyssey and fully endorse them. The only other problem I have with the Sunpath is the way they make their toggle stows on the risers. They leave the tip of the toggle exposed and in the day of increased soft links, this can and has resulted in toggle fires. I called SunPath about this and they said they were changing the design in 6 months (this was about 6 months ago) but if somone requested that change before it becomes standard, they would do that. I'd suggest checking on this and making the request. Other than that, the Odyssey is an excellent rig that you will be quite happy with!
-Rap

Secondary riser covers are a luxury. They make no difference on most rigs.
Bill Booth explained to me that the only reason he incorporated secondary riser covers on the Vector 3 is that the primary riser covers were too shallow, they did not consistently cover the toggles.
Mirage and Voodoo copied the secondary riser covers without fully understanding their purpose.
You may have noticed that Sigmas do not have secondary riser covers and they have been deleted from the latest Voodoos.
One of our local jumpers said that the secondary riser covers are only important when he packs sloppily.
Learn from his mistakes, don't pack sloppily.

Rob, I totally agree, if you pack sloppily, no rig is fail-safe, and secondary riser covers can help make sloppy packers, safer, but in the end, you're better off learning to pack correctly. However, the bigger concern is the use of soft links on mini risers, with highly loaded canopies, and toggle keepers that do not hold the toggle as secure. This leads (and I've seen it first hand) to the slider coming down quickly on fast openings and pushing usually one toggle out, thus unstowing it. This is a new cause of many cut-aways. Wings, Vector and Mirage all addressed this problem (some before it was a problem) by making their toggle keepers more secure by covering the tip of the toggle. Anyway, SunPath if not doing so already, should not be far behind. I would ask about it if ordering a new container from them.
-Rap

I've seen more Javelins ordered and sent back with complaints. Loose pin covers, riser covers, ill fitting.

Get real. Get better. Sunpath has oversold and their quality control has gone to shit. If you order one you will send it back. Good look. Think RWS for total qualit control

Unravelin-Javelin.

"Five days? But I'm angry now!"

Can you give more details? Was that the old Javelin or the Odyseey you are talking about? Ever jumped one?
I made the experience if the main flap is open, the closing loop is too long and if the riser flaps are open you should try another packer for your reserve. Of course you must be able to measure yourself properly when you order the container
M

> if the main flap is open, the closing loop is too long

This is very true, but there are also some Javelins out there with too small of a tuck tab and it will open no matter the length of the closing loop.

My service experience with Sunpath was poor. I sent the rig in for a MLW replacement. I got it back and the reserve handle pocket was sewn too small to hold the reserve ripcord anymore corretly. I had to put it in backwards and that made it a huge snag hazzard. Sunpath replaced it at a boogie after I had them look at why the flap was open all the time and they grounded the rig since it was'nt put together right. Luckky the DZ loft had a handle that fit and I could keep jumping.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Quite frankly, anymore I wouldn't buy a Jav, I'd definately go with a Wings, Mirage or an Infinatey, though.

Then again, I've seen some pretty messed up Javs straight from the factory that lead me to this opinion, that and the quality of the Wings container I recieved back in October was absolutely top notch (along with their customer service, which is some of the best I've ever dealt with, skydiving or otherwise).
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I bought an Odyssey this Summer, and I love it. I have always been a Javelin fan, and the Odyssey improvements just make it that much better.

My experience with Sun Path has been a joy, both from a quality control and customer service perspective. They are also very good about answering questions both before and after the sale.

The great thing about this day and age in skydiving is that there is a LOT of great equipment out there. There are a lot of good quality rigs. I would recommend the Odyssey in a hearbeat.

Suggestion: call Tony at SkyKat Gear Shop in Raeford and see 1) what rig he sells the most, and 2) what his experience has been with Sun Path and the Odyssey. (910) 875-7231

:)

Arrive Safely

John

I jump at Z-hills; so, I've spoken with several of Sunpath's staff. They have addressed most of the quality issues (part of the reason for the size code changes) and are always trying to improve the designs. IMHO my Odyssey is well made-I had to wait an extra week because Sunpath rejected a shipment of "cosmetically inferior" webbing; they care about what they are doing.
Z-Flock 8
Discotec Rodriguez

Too bad weapons grade stupidity doesn't lead to sterility.