Viking

Altimaster II vs Altimaster III

I like the removable/replaceable glass of the new ones, you don't have to send your alti off to get it fixed if it gets alls scratched up, you can just unscrew it and put a new on in.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Alti II, because I bought it new and painted Mickey Mouse on the face. It still works, so I don't need to replace it. If I were buying new now, it'd probably be an Alti III because it's smaller.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I don't like the Altimaster II because the adjustment knob is exposed and could get caught on something, like a line.

Anyone know of this happening? Maybe the concern is not valid.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I use a Saphirre. It has a hand mount. It makes me :)

-Miranda
you shall above all things be glad and young / For if you're young,whatever life you wear
it will become you;and if you are glad / whatever's living will yourself become.

i use an old altimeter, wrist mount... and for me all altimeters are alike, as long as they work...

but i think no buying a new one, for mounting on my chest strap... i believe they're better for freeflying...

although, here in Maribor, students us those, and every experienced skydiver who uses it, get's laughed at by the students... immature kids...

Check out the site of the Fallen Angels FreeflY Organisation:
http://www.padliangeli.org

>but i think no buying a new one, for mounting on my chest
>strap... i believe they're better for freeflying...

I don't really freefly, but I think it's exactly the opposite(=freeflyers prefer their altis on their wrists). You might want to ask about this one in the FF forum.

Anyway you don't have to buy a whole new altimeter, you can just switch the mount. I have two mounts for my alti: chestmount for FS, wristmount for sitfly/birdman-jumps. It takes less than 10 seconds to switch the mount.

Erno

Used to jump FT50. But after 2 broke and their customer service was awfull. It took them 3 months to repair the first one, and then after all that they sent me a new one that broke in a month. I now have a altimaster3 that handles my torture great (Im sure its not bulletproof) and cool thing is Altimaster is right next to my Dz so I can go get it calibrated anytime I want. They even came out to the Dz and put new lenses and straps and calibrated everyones Alti's for them for free.

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

[reply
I don't really freefly, but I think it's exactly the opposite(=freeflyers prefer their altis on their wrists). You might want to ask about this one in the FF forum.

Anyway you don't have to buy a whole new altimeter, you can just switch the mount. I have two mounts for my alti: chestmount for FS, wristmount for sitfly/birdman-jumps. It takes less than 10 seconds to switch the mount.

Erno

i just as well might do that...

about the altimeter, i do have to buy a new one, 'cause this one i have right now, is in a very bad shape: when i shake it, the needle jumps for some 4oom :P

A chest mount isn't good for FF, there was a good discussion about it over in the FF forum. Basically, it has a tendency to be in a massive burble and misreport altitude, sometimes as much as 1000ft or more. Once you really learn how to fly well, checking your wrist mount is very easy and won't change your dive (make you cork, etc).
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I have an FT-50 and an old style Alti III.

I'd agree that the FT is WAAAY easier to read and lighter but it is finicky to set (needle floats a bit). I use the FT for freestyle and the Alti III for canopy stuff. The first one that's bought locally will help finance a dytter- something I SHOULD have.

Dave

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend (Lennon/McCartney)

Alti III... smaller... wear it on my left wrist vice chest strap where I never did much like wearing one... keep meaning to get a mount made to go onto my left lift web, ya know, below the main ring and above the cut-away handle... have seen folks with altimeters there and would like to try it out.

I don't like the Altimaster II because the adjustment knob is exposed and could get caught on something, like a line.

Anyone know of this happening? Maybe the concern is not valid.

I don't think it's very likely. I jump a chest mounted Alti II and have been involved in dozens of entanglements and wraps, but none involved the altimeter.

A chest mount isn't good for FF, there was a good discussion about it over in the FF forum.

When I was at Skydive Dallas last weekend I noticed that RiggerJon had made a lot of different altimeter mounts for the freefliers there. He had wedge mounts for the mud-flap and I think I even saw a couple of hip-mounts. Pretty cool stuff.

Kris
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

A chest mount isn't good for FF, there was a good discussion about it over in the FF forum. Basically, it has a tendency to be in a massive burble and misreport altitude, sometimes as much as 1000ft or more.

wow, didn't know that!! thank's man... does the burble affect it only in HD or also in sit and stand? i jumped a chestmounted altimeter for some 100+ sitfly jumps and i never had problems with it...