Mikki_ZH

Discussion on that rear-riser tandem swoop.

Not my swoop, it's the picture of a mexican friend...
I have never seen him land without swooping and I have never seen him land without a pasager and I have never seen him land bad or not 100% in control!
Michi (#1068)
hsbc/gba/sba
www.swissbaseassociation.ch
www.michibase.ch

what type of approach does he do? I'm a TI and I personally wouldn't purposely attempt landing with the rears but it looks like he does a good job. The more I travel around the more I see TI's "hooking" tandems in it looks cool but I prefer to save the hooking for solo jumps. Thanks for sharing the pic.

That's pretty impressive! I use my rears with our Sigma mains quite often up top to get pointed where I need to be, miss traffic, etc. However, I've never done it on landing. I've thought about the possibilities due to various types of malfunctions, but wow, that's pretty neat.

Do they transition to the toggle as well? Do they typically stand up the landings? You can PM me if you don't want to discuss it in public.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

what type of approach does he do? I'm a TI and I personally wouldn't purposely attempt landing with the rears but it looks like he does a good job. The more I travel around the more I see TI's "hooking" tandems in it looks cool but I prefer to save the hooking for solo jumps. Thanks for sharing the pic.

It's ok, the TM is wearing a helmut.:P

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Does being in shape also govern whether the tandem swoop is created by front risers or a toggle whip?
Damn the riser pressure must be immense! ...

Thread drift, but here goes anyway.

I would never, ever toggle whip a tandem, but I know people who do/did. As to front risers, I can pull mine down on my Firebolt 350, but can't say I have ever tried on a Sigma (though most of my tandems are under Sigma 370's). I haven't ever tried an "actual" rear riser landing on my tandem, but have done some "emergency" practices at altitude and didn't find it particularly tough. YMMV.

Chuck

Do they transition to the toggle as well? Do they typically stand up the landings? You can PM me if you don't want to discuss it in public.

The guy you see on the picture (Vivis) iniciates the last turn with toggles, it's to hard to do it with front risers.
He starts the landing with his rears and transitions to toggles to finish the landing. He stands the landings up. He does this with passangers between 55 to 70 kg.
Michi (#1068)
hsbc/gba/sba
www.swissbaseassociation.ch
www.michibase.ch

I honestly don't understand the concept of swooping tandems. As a paid tandem instructor your only priority should be getting your passenger back on the ground safely. Why increase your chance of accidents? Especially when a first time jumper will think that any landing at all was awesome. Do you really think that they will know or care whether you swoop the landing or not?

The truth of this is that he's getting more distance because his passenger is leaning forwards.

What a cheap attempt at controversy. I honesly hope you aren't serious. Even though this is a heated topic as far as canopy performance, to just simply say that without anything to back it up is just calling for flame-age! I'm not a TM, but more power to you if you get it right and it looks cool. Godspeed if you screw it up though. Do it for the camera, but only do it to yourself in my opinion!

I honestly don't understand the concept of swooping tandems. As a paid tandem instructor your only priority should be getting your passenger back on the ground safely. Why increase your chance of accidents?

I would have thought it would be safer caus they stand up the landings, rather than landing on the butt, which can result in
a broken coccyx(not sure if i spelt it right). Seen this happen.

"If murder and suicide are illegal, then why is it ok to kill yourself and others with cigarettes?????"

www.myspace.com/Hypoxicmusic