AggieDave

The "godfather" of swooping?

John is definitely an authority on canopy piloting (including swooping). Also, I'm not so sure about the "Godfather" label, but you've got to think that guys like Lyle Presse and Jim Slaton are some of the founding fathers towards today's competitive swooping circuit.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Right, they've worked hard to bring swooping off the DZ and into a mainstream of skydiving with courses, contests, rules, etc. Legitimizing swooping as a discipline and a sport in and of its own right.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

i was reading this thread and had to tell john and rickster about it (they're just on the other side of my cube wall).

each of them got a kick out of it and both were surprised to hear that their names were mentioned in this thread. ;) they thought it was pretty cool...and started telling stories of when they started swooping. :)
just thought you guys would like to know.:P

and started telling stories of when they started swooping. Smile

Damnit, reach over your cube and smack them around for not getting online and posting their stories. That would be a great read!
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

You should cross-post this in the history section....

Some of the old fogies that don't read here, may have the inside scoop on who the first person was to purposely dive their ram air parachute at the ground for the purpose of building speed for landing.

And you really should try native sunglasses too.

Methane Freefly - got stink?

Slaton, LeBlanc, Rickster, the son of the owner of skyknights spc - he was doing amazing things at the ripe age of 18 11 years ago - actually many old timers from back in the day that pushed the envelope and developed a canopy progression for learning purposes. I think it is really hard to say this person or that person, may people had input into the growth of the discipline...

-- (N.DG) "If all else fails – at least try and look under control." --

Yah Kyle - forgot his name... He was doing amazing things back when things just started getting goin in terms of swooping. Great guy - I'm suprised not to see him on the top of contest lists. His dad did things with a canopy that were pretty damn amazing in their own right as well.

-- (N.DG) "If all else fails – at least try and look under control." --

the son of the owner of skyknights spc - he was doing amazing things at the ripe age of 18 11 years ago -

kyle's old, but he ain't THAT old. :P:D

wait, are we talking mental years? :D

god bless our young fleeflyer. :)
he's been led astray once or twice, but we've always managed to reel him in.

you know he's been called the Reverend on more than one occasion.... :)

I can't believe this thread has gone on without the mention of Charlie Mullins......

Charlie was getting DZO's in a twist all over the US when he was still a teenager doing some of the first "hook turns" under the first high performance canopies.(Nova) If it was not for his Father's aircraft and the rare service it was providing, he likely would have been banned from said dropzones.

Charlie was the first person to fly a canopy under 80 sq', 70sq' and 60sq'..........Charlie was also one of the first pilots to test and help develop the early line of Icarus Crossbraced canopies (FX) He was jumping a 69sq' in 1996, and in 1997 moved to the 58 sq'FX.....(when guys with 150 Stillettos thought they were hot shit)...He was test flying "non production" cross braced wings before anyone really had any idea about it except for a select few........I think Leblanc and Presse were some of the only other people at the time pushing the envelope as Charlie was, but he was a teenager then...something to be said for that.

There is an add for the Nova in an very old "Parachutist" (circa 1993) of Charlie swooping a ditch under a 77 Nova water in it (actually the water that was above ground of the septic tank) at his family's dropzone in TN. when he was I think 16 and already had about 2000 skydives. That was about 11 years ago!

During that period of time, alot of people criticized Charlie about his aggressive and what some people deemed (wreckless) style....People were convinced that he was going to kill himself and/or someone else..........I suspect that most people were just jealous that he was a better skydiver at 16 than they would likely ever be, or that his father owned the premier jumpship in the country out of which he jumped for free....

Love him or hate him, his contribution to the niche of high performance canopy flight should not go unmentioned.

Christian

I would have to say Tom Piras, Jack Jefferies, and Rickster Powell.
They were the first ones To swoop as far as I know around 1989 -1990.
The "ditch" in Deland was the place. They were flying the first Sabres with John Leblanc.

MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

Rickster Powell

Definitely have to agree here. Watching Rickster in Anti-Gravity was where my interest and pursuit of swooping all began. :)
Blues,
Ian

"I love the feeling of the water as it rips off my tevas when I skim this pond..."

:ph34r:;)
Remster

Yah Kyle - forgot his name... He was doing amazing things back when things just started getting goin in terms of swooping. Great guy - I'm suprised not to see him on the top of contest lists. His dad did things with a canopy that were pretty damn amazing in their own right as well.

Haha I hope you mean scary... Some of the older video is awesome.

Kyle and some friends were doing 3 way syncs all last weekend into our DZ backyard... fun stuff to watch.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka