vt1977

460ft swoop video!

From the time the pilot was gate level to touchdown was 5 seconds (I've watched Heath do 6). That's a pretty normal swoop "air time". Can't tell how fast the downwind was(doesn't anything over 5 mph void the record anyway?) , but I'm sceptical of the length they're claiming based on the amount of time the pilot spends in the air, assuming a mild downwind.

Blue ones,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

Hi,

David here, I run the Freefall University and saw the swoop. The pond is 430 feet. I would claim it to be an unnoficial world record. We measured the wind and it was well below 5mph.

We are based in Skydive Lillo http://www.skydivelillo.com

Also, my bandwith is going through the roof with the VID. Id ask that people link to the page its on and not hotlink to the video which will allow me to leave it there.

http://www.pictures.freefalluniversity.co.uk/

I have seen TJ go over 500 feet unofficial and downwind in unmeasured winds. Still, there is no discounting the fact that your boy ripped the piss out of that swoop; nice job. You guys need to set up some five foot gates; ten-footers only count in horseshoes and hand grenades.

It is very hard to gauge actual seconds. by pausing the video at the point where I can best determine his body may be 5 feet off the ground and examing the length of footage to the point where his feet touch it is definitely over 5 seconds...not sure if it is a complete 6..but possibly 5.75 seconds and definitely 5.5.

Not to nitpick or anything (since we have no distance perspective). That guy definitely had an awesome swoop.
"Revolution is an abrupt change in the form of misgovernment.", Ambrose Bierce.

Not to nitpick or anything (since we have no distance perspective). That guy definitely had an awesome swoop.

Most definately, don't get me wrong I'm not trying to take away from the landing.

I still get only 5 secs with my best guess @ a 5ft gate hit though ;)

Either way it's all good. Nice safe smooth approach.

Blue ones,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

Some information on the swoop:

Brian was jumping a VE96 with weight (about 6lbs) loaded up to about 2.1 if I remember correctly.

The dropzone is >2000ft above sea level.

The downwind component was not excessive (I landed straight after him) although I can't comment on the exact wind speed.

Although it is difficult to extract any real detail from the mpg, if you slow-mo the original video on a large screen, you can see his shadow pass over the dirt at the far end of the pond when he has just levelled off.

The pilot does acknowledge that it would not be an official world record since there were no entry gates or judges or whetever else it takes, but it was still a killer swoop and he knows he did it - which is all that counts.

We measured the wind and it was well below 5mph.

i'm going to have to say that the swoop was a phat swoop, very long. no one can deny that.

but from those wind blades, it really looks like a bit more than 5 mph. but i wasn't there, so who knows

later

I concur. I'd say the way the wind blades were moving and the speed of the run out made it look like there was a hefty tailwind. Regardless, it's a big, nice swoop. Was there a wide angle lens on that camera? It didn't really do justive to first half of the swoop.
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

That's one cool swoop, but those windblades are haulin ass.

On a side note, I was messing arround filming Luigi and Jim Slaton swoop the pond at Perris last month. I was in pretty much the same angle as the shooter in that video and found I was getting the best results using a X2 telephoto lens instead of a wide angle.

You can get the dive and level off nicely and it gets you right in their face as they whiz past you. You have to be close for wide angle lenses to work nicely - why would you want to get close to someone going 40mph?