LawnDart21

Skydive just to swoop. You too?

Not ALL the time, but there are plenty of no wind days that I would much prefer to take the plane to 4,000ft instead of full altitude for freefall.

And if I had the choice between a full day of hop and pops to swoop or a full day of freefall jumps-
I would take the swoop day.

Same here. Lately I've been pissed off that the winds have been high for the past few weeks, so even with a full on pissed out hook, I'm getting these slow baby swoops. I could get some monster swoops the other direction, but 15+mph downwinders seem like a good way for me to hurt myself.

So for me lately, I either want to go swoop or take people on tandems, the rest of it is ok, but I'd rather do those.B|
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Lately, I've felt that jumping from 9-10k (which is usually as high as we go in this crappy country of mine), I get much more satisfaction from opening high and playing with my canopy than from freeflying for those 35 seconds. Especially if I can play around those lovely lovely clouds...:)But I must admit I've been surprised at how many strange looks this has gotten me.

Hell yeah!!

This is exactly why I can't bring myself to dumping a bunch of money into a tunnel. Yes the freefall bang for your buck is about the same, but think about all those swoops you're missing out on!!

Weekend looks good - it's swoopy time!!

Canuck

and we'll do higher performance CReW

Dude - I REALLY REALLY don't recommend that. Have you seen the video previously mentioned? That's what can happen when you do high-performance CRW - those 2 are VERY lucky to be alive.

I can't say I've never done higher-performance CRW, I have, but I've got almost 2000 CRW jumps and 3500 jumps total. I'm pretty experienced at CRW but I am still extraordinarily careful on the occasions I do it. The little canopies don't handle canopy formations particularly well. They're not very stable. You're on a very small, very radical heavily loaded canopy at a pretty low jump number for the kind of parachute you're jumping. I also suspect that you most likely don't have much CRW experience. It only takes one very small mistake and you're in the situation like in that video. You may not end up as lucky as those guys.

Have fun, enjoy flying close to your buddies on those jumps, but please don't dock. One small mistake on those kind of canopies and you may not survive. Save your CRW for Spectres and Lightnings and Triathalons. Please...

Wendy

When I dont have a good swooping envirionment, but I could still jump just fine, I just cant get motivated. If I had to choose, I would abandon freefall to swoop (and fly my canopy in general.)

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

but 15+mph downwinders seem like a good way for me to hurt myself.

shit, me and vern went up 2 weeks ago with winds going 28 gusting like 35 to 37 doing downwinder's. those where exciting.

later

Totes. When the 16 knot windsock is horizontal and not even budging, that's the time to go downwind.
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

Depends.
If i can jump from 4000m (12.000 feet) AGL then i'd rather Freefly, because about 50 seconds of flying is just a little better than Canopy flight,

But if the highest i can get is 3000m (9.000 feet) AGL, then canopy flight is my choice, because around 30 seconds of FreeFly isn't as good as Canopy Flight.

It's both great, and i'd have no problems doing hop n' pops from 1000m all day long even if could get to 4000m. I Can't really decide which is better at the moment :o:)
Can't wait till i learn enough to try some water/pond swooping B|
"George just lucky i guess!"

i like everything: the skydive, the opening, the landing (e.g. i'm not going to call it the swoop, 'cause it's not always the swoop ;-))

but i don't try to hard to make a swoop when i'm doing freefall jumps, i prefere to do the swoops when doing hop'n'pops from 800 meters... it's just much safer...

Check out the site of the Fallen Angels FreeflY Organisation:
http://www.padliangeli.org