superstu

for those with xbraced canopies

for those of you with xbraced canopies, what conventional, 9 or 7 cell, main did you fly before going xbraced? do you think it was a good transitional canopy?
i'm trying to find a canopy that will eventually lead me to an easy transition from a conventional 9 cell to xbraced when i'm ready.
Slip Stream Air Sports
Do not go softly, do not go quietly, never back down

Transition canopy...

I went from a Hornet to Sabre 2 to Stiletto to Crossfire 2 to the FX I am jumping now...

I think the Stiletto and Crossfire 2 were excellent in the beginning.
The Stiletto had a very small recovery but it was great for learning the increase in turning and speed.
The Crossfire was even better when I started swooping with it's long recovery and deep flare.

G

"The edge ... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those that have gone over"

I was on a Samurai 105 before going to the Sensei 91. I found the transition between these two designs quite easy, but the initiation altitude and apporach technique changed, requiring some conscious attention.

I am very happy with the switch, but the Samurai is definitely more nimble than any cross-braced canopy out there. I miss that sometimes.

stiletto 135 for 500 jumps, stiletto 120 200 jumps, then to my FX that I am currently jumping. The stiletto will fine tune your body position during deployment :P It is quite unforgiving of any bad habits.

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

My progression was
stilleto 120 500 jumps
FX 104 500 jumps
Velocity 84 last 1000 jumps

But the FX is nothing compared to the velocity, i think because it was the first crossbraced designed, a bit out of date now.
I would look at the, Velocity, VX, XAS 21/27 and even the Sensei, I've heard lots of good thing about the sensei.
hope this helps
Gary Harbird

had a crossfire 149 (1) to crossfire 111 (2) and have now put a couple jumps on an fx 109. personally, I dont think I was loading th fx enough (roughly at about 1.9) because it didnt seem any better than my crossfire. it was more solid and felt more rigid, but it seemed like it flew slower. plus the fromt riser pressure was WAY WAY WAY higher on the fx and the toggle pressure was higher also. the rear risers were about the same as my crossfire. I decided jsut to stick with my crossfire for a while anyways. I have plenty to learn on it and if I were to go crossbraced I would want like an 89 or 90 something and I dont want to jump that small just yet.

It felt like it flew slower because of the increased stability and the fact that is less twitchy. It is not slower ar the same wing loading, only perception. 1.9 is not to low to get good performance out of a cross-braced. Use this example. If you take a coener in a nice sports car at 50 miles an hour it may seem very easy and you don't think you went around the corner that fast. Take the same corner at 50 mph in a metro and the sensation is that you are going much faster because the car is sliding around and is less stable. The same perception happens under canopy. Don't be sucked in the the thought that you need to go to a highter wing loading to get the wing to perform.

***It felt like it flew slower because of the increased stability and the fact that is less twitchy. It is not slower ar the same wing loading, only perception. 1.9 is not to low to get good performance out of a cross-braced. Use this example. If you take a coener in a nice sports car at 50 miles an hour it may seem very easy and you don't think you went around the corner that fast. Take the same corner at 50 mph in a metro and the sensation is that you are going much faster because the car is sliding around and is less stable. The same perception happens under canopy. Don't be sucked in the the thought that you need to go to a highter wing loading to get the wing to perform.***

I know I could get more performance out of it..and I am not saying that the wing loading is really too light.. I am just saying at that wingload I prefer to have my crossfire.. I like the way it flies better. what I was saying is that for me to want to move to a crossed braced canopy it would be on a smaller wing and higher wingload...

I feel you get a loss in distance of your swoop if you start to load your FX much over 2.0.

i don't know, i got the feeling, for me anyway, that about 2.1 was a good wing loading for my fx. i got really good distance with it, for an fx. i've jumped them at other wing loadings, and it seamed to me that it flew the best.

oh well, everyone is different right.

later

to be honest my transition canopy was a Jedei 105...I used up to crossbraced and I tell you other than the actual difference on the amount of lenth on the swoop my Jedei was a more radical canopy than my Velocity.. Every thing about my Jedei is exactly or more than my Velocity, harness control-dive-speed..
When I went to my Velo I did not change really anything on my approaches because of the such likness of the canopies....I mean other than the crossbraces... (dont get me wrong there are differences that I find more advantageous with my Velo but that Jedei was a bad ass canopy and i only paid $400 for it)
Plus you can find Jedeis so cheap thesse days they really make good transitional canopies for us broke guys.....

hey guys thanks for the reply's. i started to do a little research on the xfire2 and was wondering what wingloading it's best at? from previous threads it sounds like 1.8-1.9, does this sound about right?
Slip Stream Air Sports
Do not go softly, do not go quietly, never back down

hey guys thanks for the reply's. i started to do a little research on the xfire2 and was wondering what wingloading it's best at? from previous threads it sounds like 1.8-1.9, does this sound about right?

Did you see this post? Joris (from Icarus) said:

ICARUS will recommend a wingload range from 1.6 up to 2.1 with an 'optimal' wingload of 1.7-1.8 on the Crossfire 2.

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

after talking quite a bit with icrus they say the optimum wingload on a crossfire 2 is right at 1.85. that is why I have a 111 with a wingload right at that. I do have to say I am not yet hitting the very top end of performance on it (in fact I have a handfull of work to do before I am reaching it) but I do think it is close to the peak. I have jumped a little bit larger and smaller crossfire 2s, and the performance peak seams to be right about there...