Steel

kodak moments

Bruno, I think that what she wrote is similiar to what most people have written (with the exception of Tree)... She's totally being constructive and seems to know what she's talking about. I mean clearly she's experienced, she has 1500+ jumps, and obviously she's watched many, many swoops... Heath Richardson, one of the best, if not the best, canopy pilots in the world is her boyfriend.

She's just another pointing out what she sees... not trying to hurt your feelings, or say you're wrong or anything... oooooooooooooh whatever, it doesn't even make a difference right?

LEts all go and post pics!!!here

From what I can tell you have little to no forward motion on your landing, you're practically coming straight down. How could you even run it out - there's nothing to run!
-------------------------------
I have seen Bruno land the 55 many times in person, as I am from the same DZ. Let me correct you. He NEVER comes straight down, and I have seen a couple of occasions when he has not totally shut down the canopy and HAS run it out. That's not frequent, but he ALWAYS has forward motion.
why compare yourself to Luigi - who is a swooper. He's fast and graceful and can land the shit out of a tiny canopy. How can you say your skill surpasses his when you aren't doing a single thing to compare?
---------------------------------
I think you missed the point. He's NOT saying his skill surpasses Luigi, he's saying his wingloading is higher, and I can guarantee that he can land the 55 more gracefully, I've seen it. He doesn't stall the canopy on landing; I've seen video of Luigi stalling as he runs like hell. How is that graceful?
In fact, your original post said something about liking #6 because you slid it in without having to take any additional steps. Where was the sliding? Sliding comes from fast, horizontal movement. You could not have possibly have slid anything in the series of photos you posted.
----------------------------------
I'm standing just underneath the camera in that shot, and I assure you, he slid it in. Perhaps because it's still photos and not video you have missed that, but as I said before, he never comes straight down.
I think the reason so many are getting agitated over this thread is because there is clearly a misrepresentation happening. That's dangerous for you and for anyone else who doesn't know better who might be reading this thread.
------------------------------------
I don't think it's misrepresentation at all; I think the problem is misinterpretation. Bruno is saying that he is good at what he does. He never claims to be a pro, but he is somewhat of an expert when it comes to handling canopies with a high wingloading; he's been doing it for quite sometime. And having seen many of his landings, I have to agree. I'm sorry, but you are jumping to conclusions and you don't know the actuality of it.

Blondes do have more fun!

you are definitely his girlfriend, right?
:o

and just so you're not mistaken:

But as you pointed out I have surpased his wingloading and judging from the landings I have seen on his 46 I have accomplished a clearner shutdown (meaning I don't have to run like hell and end up with a stalled canopy behind me), for that reason I look to my own experience when thinking about what can or can't be done in terms of a heavy wingloading"

OK?

you are definitely his girlfriend, right?
:o

reply]

Let me clear something up here...
Yes, you are correct. However, I am taking an objective point of view here, believe it or not. If you look at my profile, I only have 13 jumps. However, that is over a 5 month period and only due to lack of funds. During the past 5 months, I have spent a hell of a lot of time at the DZ, much of it with very experienced people, including the S&TA, who is a good friend. He would reiterate what I have said. If Bruno was NOT doing a good job, making good, safe, graceful landings, he would NOT be allowed to jump a 55 square foot canopy on our DZ.
So, what I'm saying is not only my opinion, it is that of experienced jumpers with thousands of jumps who have a lot of say in what is and is not allowed, as well as a lot of knowledge in what a good landing looks like.
I do feel it is fair to admit that my opinion alone would be totally biased and that I think he's a wonderful canopy pilot. However, I have been very careful not to be the girlfriend who backs him up just because I care about him. I'm a very honest, forward person, and if I agreed with some of the things that have been said here, I would be the first to admit it. I have backed him up because I know what he is capable of, and I know how the 55 flies a little better than a few of the people who have never seen it.
As it is, I have kept my posting in this thread to a minimum so as not to discredit myself or anyone else because of my association with Bruno.
I feel that what I have said is valid, regardless of our situation...

>He never claims to be a pro, but he is somewhat of an expert when it
> comes to handling canopies with a high wingloading; he's been
> doing it for quite sometime. And having seen many of his landings,
> I have to agree.

As a suggestion, perhaps a video of him landing that canopy well would allay many people's concerns. If what you say is true, the pictures posted at the beginning of this thread (and the video link provided) are somewhat misleading.

Let me make this short and simple. I never said a WORD about my personal life to you or in this thread. When I participate in discussions on dz.com I do so with no association to anyone or anything.

I learn from watching, and talking, and listening and asking questions, and trying and failing and more watching. I don't know you personally and unlike you, prefer not to go there. I and others are just responding to the things you put out there that are misleading. I'm not arrogant enough to think I know more than everyone else and certainly not that I know more than pros.

You may be right, one of us needs to go talk to Heath. Or Luigi.

My guess is this is fun for you. You posted those pics as a gag and are having a laugh as we all take the bait. Good for you. You really got us!

Action expresses priority. - Mahatma Ghandi

>He never claims to be a pro, but he is somewhat of an expert when it
> comes to handling canopies with a high wingloading; he's been
> doing it for quite sometime. And having seen many of his landings,
> I have to agree.

As a suggestion, perhaps a video of him landing that canopy well would allay many people's concerns. If what you say is true, the pictures posted at the beginning of this thread (and the video link provided) are somewhat misleading.

I agree, unfortunately, it's been difficult to find someone to video--they are usually jumping as well. There are a couple of video clips, and I will see if I can get my hands on them...

My guess is this is fun for you. You posted those pics as a gag and are having a laugh as we all take the bait. Good for you. You really got us!

He posted because he is proud of his accomplishments and because several people here have asked to see pictures. I think it was probably easier to post them than to email them to individuals.
He wasn't asking for criticism (no matter how "constructive"), and he wasn't looking to be analyzed. He was satisfying curiosity and showing what he feels is an accomplishment. Saying that he was trying to get people to "take the bait" is totally inaccurate, and I don't see where you've accused anyone else who's posted pictures of something that makes them proud of the same thing.
I think you're making a bigger issue of this than necessary. If you don't like what you see in the pictures, let it go. No one is asking you to stay here and critique.
Overall, everything that's been said can be taken back to "a matter of opinion", if you must, and obviously, you are not going to change yours. But by the same token, you can't change someone else's either, and there are several others around who will beg to differ with you.

>He posted because he is proud of his accomplishments . . .
>He wasn't asking for criticism.

No problem there, but I hope he understands that this is a forum to discuss canopy flight and landing techniques. When pictures of landings are posted, especially pictures that show what seems to be a less-than-perfect approach and landing, there will generally be discussions of that landing - just as someone who posted a picture of a rig with an incorrectly routed bridle on the gear and rigging forum would get comments. Just something to consider when thinking about posting pictures here.

I think that Bill knows about that video, read his post entirely.

The emphasis is mine, not Bill's.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

You are either a scientist or a lawer, cause you know it all and your never wrong.

How is your math?
A lot of people against one, dont you think thats equal to..... You are wrong!

Freeflybella is telling you the truth and is also trying to help you live another day.

About Heath, he knows what he is doing and he is doing it right. He is a good teacher and he is down to earth. You might wanna call him for some canopy coaching, then when you are ready, swooping coaching.

Every one here is telling you the same thing and you still dont get it, your pictures talk for themselves.

You are WRONG! WRONG! WRONG!

If your goal is to be the pilot with the higest wing loading....
You got it!

YEA! you the man! Congratilations! you should feel great. you did it!

Now, get rid of your hankypanky, get a bigger canopy and go back to page one on this thread where Im giving you good advice and some tips that might help.

Peace
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight,
It's the size of the fight in the dog!"

I am feeling sad about this thread. I know what it feels like to love this sport - therefore I do have something in common with Steel.

I'm speaking generally but personally, as well, as I try to explain why this thread has affected me:

When a person on a dz is perceived as dangerous, it effects everyone around him in a number of ways:

1. in the air - look out for that guy, he might hurt me or someone else

2. if he goes in - especially when others expect that it will happen - it tarnishes the sport and your specific dz

3. if he goes in - we all know what it's like to lose a friend, or know someone who has - and know how it affects those left behind

But most importantly, the dangerous person represents a living, breathing, in-our-face reminder of what we're all trying to avoid within ourselves.

"The Dangerous Person" that lives in each and every one of us - that we spend a great deal of time trying to 'learn' away. All of us at one time or another will deny that it's there - but we all know denial is not really an option. By reminding ourselves that The Dangerous Person will always be lurking inside, we are compelled to keep learning.

I don't know you (Steel) or your experience in this sport. The only thing I know for sure is that even through the angered and frustrated reactions, everyone here only wants safety for you (and for us). And that means humility and learning.

Just try to remember that the community in this sport is strong. When you're safe and doing amazing things and enjoying success - everyone will rally around you and be supportive.:)
When you're scary, everyone will tell you so and try to protect you.

Only you can know what you're regularly hearing from your peers - I just hope you have as much courage to face that as you seem to have when choosing canopy size.

Sincerely, S.

(I apologize for speaking for the rest of you - I don't mean to be presumptuous)

Action expresses priority. - Mahatma Ghandi

Yeah!!! Those pictures are wierd. I mean,...if they are pictures of a "swooper".....

Makes me wonder....does he knows what "swooping" is??
I mean, it great that he is flying that canopy, with his wing loading and everything,...but...it seems he is is coming straight fwd....and I`ve seen some AFF students land like that or...even more hardcore!
I`m sorry, but maybe,...we need to see more of this. I`m sure it`ll clear any questions that -we ALL in this thread-have about him.
LiquidSky
@(^_^)@

Its so hard to find a guy with a video camera around a big DZ? Wow, that pretty much says it all. If someone lights a firecracker at the DZ there is a camera on it. Basically, if anything worthwhile is going on, it gets videoed immediately. That speaks volumes.

How did I miss that Tex was the GF? Should have been so obvious. Surely in 5 months of admiring you could have found a camera. Now I've heard it all.

I'll be short: Compete, or shut up and go away. :P
Anyone who jumps at 4.0 to 1 will land, gravity pretty much takes care of that. There is aquite a bit more to being an expert than that, and its obvious to tha masses who is and isn't an expert.

cya.

Its so hard to find a guy with a video camera around a big DZ? Wow, that pretty much says it all. If someone lights a firecracker at the DZ there is a camera on it. Basically, if anything worthwhile is going on, it gets videoed immediately. That speaks volumes.

How did I miss that Tex was the GF? Should have been so obvious. Surely in 5 months of admiring you could have found a camera. Now I've heard it all.

I'll be short: Compete, or shut up and go away. :P
Anyone who jumps at 4.0 to 1 will land, gravity pretty much takes care of that. There is aquite a bit more to being an expert than that, and its obvious to tha masses who is and isn't an expert.

cya.

Personal attacks are not necessary. Refer to your post on Jan. 30th below and the post that LOCKED THE THREAD in response.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=368202#368202

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=368221#368221