Steel

kodak moments

Bruno has said in other threads that the longest swoop is not his goal. That's actually his right. If developing the skill (and I'd guess that skill is involved) necessary to jump a canopy at that wingloading floats his boat, well, that's his right.

I'll slink back out of here; my idea of a great landing involves ending up on both feet with no dirt on my jumpsuit. An OK one is one I walk away from comfortably.

Wendy W.

thank you so very much. I wanted to say the exact same and perhaps even a little more to the "skygods" making patronizing comments. But I thought that if I responded it would be like feeding the trolls and I did not want to get into an arguement online (again). That is why I am so pleased that you were able to peacefully state what is obvious to you and me (given positions I have made so clear time and time again) Unfortunately some people can't seem to understand. Oh well
thanks again
If I could make a wish, I think I'd pass.
Can't think of anything I need
No cigarettes, no sleep, no light, no sound.
Nothing to eat, no books to read.

Looked a little like a DIIIIIIGGGG.. lol

Rhino

here is one of me at Rantoul..

Ok for the record. To anybody who thinks there may be some digging here you could not be more mistaken. A canopy of this size at this wingloading will not dig out, PERIOD. Attempting to stab in efforts to dig out will most likely cause a high speed stall. If I come in low the results are plain and simple, I am fucked. How much it would hurt would depend on how low I would be. I understand my toggle inputs may look different than that of what you may be used to seeing. But after all its a totally different animal. The comparison with Alaska Jon was pretty funny. It proved that the person making the comparison had no idea what he was talking about. See I probably out weigh Alaska Jon by about 75 pounds and still jump a canopy that is about 22% smaller. So if I was going to upsize to get to his loading and keep my wingloading for speed. Then I would have to be jumping with more 100 pounds of weight.
The main difference I see here is that I have landed a canopy @ a 2.4 wingloading on rear risers but none of the people trying to tell me how I should land my canopy have even come to trying something of that nature.

There really does appear to be some stabbage. The pics where the trees are in hte background give some perspective, and the pitch of the canopy and your position under the canopy seem to indicate some stabbage.

I'm not saying that you don't know how to fly your canopy, just that this landing doesn't look like your best (I hope). There are some people in this forum who have spent many years on a DZ. and watched many landings, and when we see stabbage, we know it.

Whats the purpose for jumping thast wingloading as an everyday canopy? There is a reason that Luigi only jumps the 46 on special occasions (and I think his WL on that is still lower than yours).

The main difference I see here is that I have landed a canopy @ a 2.4 wingloading on rear risers but none of the people trying to tell me how I should land my canopy have even come to trying something of that nature.

Not entirely true.

I have landed a canopy at 2.4 (88Xaos 27cell) on nothing but rear risers.

I have also landed canopies at a wingloading greater than 3.0. Not my cup of tea, but if you enjoy it so be it.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Like I said Bruno, if you are dumb enough to post pics of a non existent swoop, people are going to call you on it. Those pics show a very poor landing, you digging out, and your body laguage says "oh god, please help me survive another one". No one asked you to embarass yourself by putting those pics up, and clearly, no one is impressed. (I guess in your mind, the thousands of impressed fans just haven't bothered to post). Drew gave you an excellent suggestion: Canopy Coaching. Given an appropriately loaded canopy and several hundred supervised landings, you may be able to swoop.....one day.

Sincerely,

Tree B|

The pics where the trees are in hte background give some perspective, and the pitch of the canopy and your position under the canopy seem to indicate some stabbage.
----------------------------------------
I see where you may get that idea from #5. If you saw me land atleast 10 times you might finally understand. That always happens and it is not in anyway due to stabbing. Being how the canopy is loaded it requires that much more input to plain out. This is the reason it will not surf as far. It quickly decelerates for that same exact reason. I don't know how to make you understand that this is not something you can compare back to what you are used to seeing. Its different.
===========================
Whats the purpose for jumping thast wingloading as an everyday canopy?
---------------------------------
Its what I like to do. I don't do it for competition. There aren't any competitions for which that would even be useful. But if you start asking why you will never come final answer. Think about. Why do people go headdown in freefall. The skydive is over quicker. Oh they enjoy but why? See some people find the need to follow trends, for example rear riser surfs. I did that 2 years ago. There were a couple of people who were doing but most people shyed away from it. Suddenly it got popular and now everybody and everybody's mother is doing it. I don't care. I do what I want for myself and myself alone, not whats in style.
There is a reason that Luigi only jumps the 46 on special occasions (and I think his WL on that is still lower than yours).
------------------------------------
What he does is his business. I will admit that there was a time when I looked up to his accomplishments and thought of what he had done as the end all. But as you pointed out I have surpased his wingloading and judging from the landings I have seen on his 46 I have accomplished a clearner shutdown (meaning I don't have to run like hell and end up with a stalled canopy behind me), for that reason I look to my own experience when thinking about what can or can't be done in terms of a heavy wingloading.

Wanna take a guess as to what 55-7.jpg looked like? :P

Maybe something like this senario can give you a better before after idea.

maybe a short video is in order of one of your swoops so I can see why it looks like your sinking it in when youre really swooping?

Also why did you lengthen your toggles 6 inches? Whats the point of lengthening steering lines past the point where a deep riser input does not deflect the tail? I don't understand.

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

maybe a short video is in order of one of your swoops so I can see why it looks like your sinking it in when youre really swooping?

I was thinking the same thing. I'm no swoop-god (heck I'm just learning this ever so fun yet dangerous discipline), but video has a way of not lying while still photos are easy to misinterpret.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

The comparison with Alaska Jon was pretty funny. It proved that the person making the comparison had no idea what he was talking about.

Wow Bruno, that was a really discreet insult!... so much for a constructive discussion about Swooping and Canopy Control, right?

My comment had everything to do with maximizing performance and what I imagine is an ideal wing loading for such a small canopy, and NOT about you keeping your current wing-loading.... it wasn't a low blow or an insult, or an assumption... it was an educated, objective, and constructive statement about swooping and canopy control in general (like the name of the forum, right?).

"Alaska Jon has many many skydives, isn't the biggest guy in the world, and is a bad ass swooper, and he's on a 69 VX (trying to think of people flying small canopies)... Many of the competition swoopers these days are actually flying canopies a bit bigger than in the past and they're wearing weights to load them more... they're getting 350-420 foot swoops under those canopies, and I'll bet the swoops are still super decent in stronger winds. "

I DO know something about what I'm talking about, and am always open to learning more... this is clearly one of those times...

Would you like me to post pics of my landings for criticism?
-drew
:)

-----------------------------
I have a short video but even that is 36 MB.
===============================

Also why did you lengthen your toggles 6 inches? Whats the point of lengthening steering lines past the point where a deep riser input does not deflect the tail? I don't understand
-----------------------------------------
If I kept factory settings my canopy would buffet with any riser inputs. In anycase after a lot of experimentation with different lengths that I where I have found the best results. Its a personal matter because the length of somebody's arms alone can make a difference.

I disagree with many of the assertions you have made reagrding your canopy, it's performance, and for that matter, your performance. The wingloading is excessive, and has gone far past the point of dimishing returns in terms of performce as related to wingloading. Furthermore, your refernces to some highly skilled and respected canopy pilots have probably hurt your case more than helped it in the eyes of those following this thread.

HOWEVER, this is only my opinion, and it is your right to jump whatever you please, and fly it in any manner you see fit. In light of this, good luck with this and all future ventures, blue skies, and safe swoops.

Personally, I would love to see Bruno vs Luigi in ANY type of canopy competition. Speed, distance, accuracy, stand up landings, whatever. It would be truly comical to see Bruno eat every last one of his words. For that matter, watching Luigi trounce Bruno physically would also be fun too. But as we all know too well, Bruno dosen't, check that, can't, compete. At least not at any PST event. How bout it Bruno? I've got $1,000.00 says you can't even carry Luigi's rig for him.

Quit while your ahead. (behind)

tree

Allright,

I have been biting my lip on this one but when you start talking about Luigi and John DeVore and attempting to put yourself in their ranks you are inviting some harsh criticism....

Those men are world class canopy pilots and you seem to be a whuffo belly flyer (not that there is anything wrong with belly flying) who wants to make up for a small penis by jumping a ridiculously loaded canopy, flying in poorly, and then boasting about your sorry exploits on the internet by posting photos....

sorry dude, you are lame[:/]

happy digging