Steel

kodak moments

I don't usually post pictures because my camera sucks. But in this case I was lucky enough to have somebody take pictures with his camera instead. I especially like the 6th picture because it show me sliding in to a complete stop without having to take any steps. That is not always the case but I would say that about 80% of the time I can shut it down without having to take more than 3 steps.
If I could make a wish, I think I'd pass.
Can't think of anything I need
No cigarettes, no sleep, no light, no sound.
Nothing to eat, no books to read.

under normal conditions aproximately how long is your average swoop with that WL? That thing looks so tiny! I like the 6th pic too. Rock on.

---------------------------------------------
let my inspiration flow,
in token rhyme suggesting rhythm...

under normal conditions aproximately how long is your average swoop with that WL? That thing looks so tiny! I like the 6th pic too. Rock on.

Actually I am not really sure. I don't pay as much attention to distance. But I would guess at best 150-175 feet and probably on average about 100. Its not good for swooping long distances unless there is a 25 MPH headwind.

Looks like you were setting up in an bit of a braked approach, were you sinking it in or something?

sinking it in? Are you kidding? Sinking that canopy in would never work. (Not with a standup atleast) No actually there are two reasons perhaps for it appearing that way. First I extend my brake line 6 inches. On the first picture you will notice that if you look at that canopy rather than the toggles that no input had been entered. That picture is probably 200 feet off the ground. The second picture which has minimal input is and is at about 100 feet. The third has slightly significant input at about 50 feet. For the rest since I am so close to the ground, you can see that its nothing more than what has to be done.

I'm confused - it swoops longer with a headwind?

longer compared to other swoopers.

Uhhh - you said, "Its not good for swooping long distances unless there is a 25 MPH headwind."

I don't quite understand that, shouldn't you be able to swoop the shit out of that canopy on a no wind day?

Just not understanding, not tryin to be a dick or anything... :)

-- (N.DG) "If all else fails – at least try and look under control." --

Uhhh - you said, "Its not good for swooping long distances unless there is a 25 MPH headwind."

I don't quite understand that, shouldn't you be able to swoop the shit out of that canopy on a no wind day?

Just not understanding, not tryin to be a dick or anything... :)

Ofcourse in no wind it will swoop further. But here is what I am talking about. If you swoop for 3 seconds at and average of 60MPH in no wind you will swoop as far and somebody who swoops for 6 seconds at 30 MPH. But now throw in a 20 MPH headwind and the one swoop faster will swoop further. Because now the comparison becomes. 60-20= 40 MPH for 3 seconds and 30-20=10MPH for 6 seconds. 40MPh for 3 seconds will go further than 10 MPH for 6 seconds. Do you understand now?

The next time you're in SoCal, let me know.

These current photos don't do justice to that little dishrag you're flying.

If I could get out there that would be awesome.

As for the question of if somebody can jump in 30 MPH winds. It can be easily done. With gusts I have gone up to 38. As long as its relatively steady, landing with a 30 MPH headwind is like a walk in the park.

When a canopy is overloaded to the extent that that one appears to be, the performance goes out the window. Smaller is not always the way to go for maximum performance.

If you're looking for speed, then go small.

If you're looking for sustained speed, or distance a little bigger is better.

When loading above about 2.3 on most modern crosbraced canopies, the performance drops off quickly, the stall speed gets higher, and the speed drops off quicke as more energy needs to be turned into lift.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Funny, I never see any swoopers with their tail deflected and toggles dug down when they are still at 50' unless thery are digging out. This just looks like a poor approach, and it does look like you are sinking it in. I know that you see things in your own world quite differently, but if you are going to post pics expect feedback. Whats up Bruno, you afraid of your rear risers? :P

Just to show you how its done, I'll also post a pic.

What's your wing loading on that canopy?

from seeing the pictures, you look a bit to heavy on it.

Ive seen people flying really small canopies, but there is always a limit, small doesnt always means fast and big doesnt always means slow.

Get a good wing loading 2.0 to 2.4, no more. Practice good safe turns, an a little rear riser action and you will see twice the speed and twice the distance.

I dont know your swooping experience but I would higly recommend some swoop coaching. (Just from seeing the Pics
I you can tell)

Recomendations: Buy a few swoop videos, study the different landings. Study the landings of good swoopers at your DZ. Ask questions to those who really know.

Hope what you just read can help in any way.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight,
It's the size of the fight in the dog!"

Recomendations: Buy a few swoop videos, study the different landings. Study the landings of good swoopers at your DZ. Ask questions to those who really know.

Hope what you just read can help in any way.

Maybe 55 is a little too small for high performance landings? I mean, the rest of the flight is definitely high performance... just doesn't look like the landing is.

Alaska Jon has many many skydives, isn't the biggest guy in the world, and is a bad ass swooper, and he's on a 69 VX (trying to think of people flying small canopies)... Many of the competition swoopers these days are actually flying canopies a bit bigger than in the past and they're wearing weights to load them more... they're getting 350-420 foot swoops under those canopies, and I'll bet the swoops are still super decent in stronger winds.

One time at band camp....

I had put a few pounds on and was flying a VX74, my wing loading at the moment was a lot, 195lbs out the door flying a VX74. you do the math.

That thing was fast with loooong swoops also, but I think is a little to heavy wing loading for my taste of an all around canopy. JaJa!

Check out the pic. what do you think about the scenario?
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight,
It's the size of the fight in the dog!"

Can I get in on this too?

ya me too

this one may not be a kodak moment, but uspa thougt it was good enough for photo finish

http://www.printroom.com/ViewGalleryPhoto.asp?userid=lowhook&gallery_id=22350&image_id=20

and all of these are good ones of me and vern (freeflyswc)

http://www.printroom.com/ViewGallery.asp?shopperid=0UL10ADGLJTX9MV0NB7CPD8768500439&userid=lowhook&gallery_id=22350

later

Bruno has said in other threads that the longest swoop is not his goal. That's actually his right. If developing the skill (and I'd guess that skill is involved) necessary to jump a canopy at that wingloading floats his boat, well, that's his right.

I'll slink back out of here; my idea of a great landing involves ending up on both feet with no dirt on my jumpsuit. An OK one is one I walk away from comfortably.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)