freefly68

R.A.G.E.

Hi Kelly , I think that there must be something wrong on the numbers or the rage is a really hard diving canopy .

yea, and if it does dive that much, that's pretty fuckin sick. could you imagine going by someone flat at like 800 ft still diving while they just are starting their hook, and be like what's up as you go by :D

i'd like to see one up close and/or jump one to see for myself still.

lata

Hi all, The RAGE is probably the fastest canopy out there at this moment.
Due to the nose design they could realize a very thin airfoil, which has a signficantly lower nose drag than what you are jumping right now. Logically it therefore will dive longer. But this does not mean automatically that you have to turn that high. The guy at Renaca just likes it that high, since it gives him the best results. What a canopy can do max is not necessarily what one is forced to do.
And, again, it is not a xbraced design. Check out the attatched illustration.
BTW : Freefly68. You should give us more infos on this issue.
Gardner : She looks fast !
Truman Sparks : Yeah, it's the stripes.

Its a good design. I was discussing this with an engineer a few years back, but prototypes had opening problems.
The X brace is still a cleaner nose, and by looking at distortion in pics a more efficient wing.
Someone needs to build a X brace with this design.
It would be interesting to see if it would be a better wing than the Sensei.

Expect Nothing. Be Ready For Anything!

Hi Jay
If you take a close look at x brace designs, you'll see that the nose distortion is much more than that on the RAGE, since the cell openings are covered by panels of fabric which resemble restistance to the air hitting the nose as the canopy is in flight.
The x brace designs have one advantage though. The shape of the wing is kept much better, so you have a potentially larger projeceted surface area.
But nevertheless, in all cases it needs a sound aerodynamic design to start with, regardless how you intend to improve overall flight performances.

HI
for some information have a look at these pdf (german)
http://www.paratec.de/Formulare/Produktinfo-Rage.pdf
Don´t know the exact price but just ask [email protected] also for demo´s and all the other stuff
blues
Frank

I don't know if anybody asked it already, but what's the pack volume?? are there demos available? how much is it? how long do you have to wait until you get one? and all that good stuff..

Thanks

provehito in altum

fandango,

i would be interested if you could you post some pictures to support/illustrate your comment on reduced nose airfoil distortion of the rage vs. some x brace designs.

thanks,

sincerely,

dan preston
atair <><>
Daniel Preston <><>
atairaerodynamics.com (sport)
atairaerospace.com (military)

Hi cobaltdan
The increased nose drag is not a result of the x brace design, but rather the panels of fabric being sewn down the nose openings.
If you study pictures of any canopy that has this design feature, you will notice that in all cases the nose is being pushed back. It is obvious, that the nose drag will increase, since the projected area is increased, since the nose part becomes flat and fat.
( What has a higher drag coefficient > a board that it held with it's full width into the air, or one that is held with it's profile into the air ? )

With such small air inlets I wonder how are the openings...

I jumped the R.A.G.E 86 this morning. I exited at 1300 meters and pulled after a 3 sec delay. After a few seconds of snivel the canopy started to dive to the right. Nothing violent, a bit like my Vengeance 120 tends to on occasion. I grabbed the risers and straightened it up. Then I wondered how the hell I was supposed to get at the slider. It was stuck about two feet above the risers. I tugged at the riser and started to pump the slider down. By the time I had the slider in my hands I was at 800m.

At full speed (I have only tried the rage 97 at terminal) you generally need about a 1000ft (300m) before you have got the slider all the way down. In all 6 jumps on the 97 the slider never came all the way down on its own.

I like the way it flies. Alternating front riser inputs are no problem as there is so little pressure there, even when in full dive. There is a lot pressure at the back though, which makes gripping the rears for landing a bit more tricky. The rage is a very responsive canopy without the dramatic sink rate of a velocity in full flight.
Dave

Fallschirmsport Marl

With such small air inlets I wonder how are the openings...

I wonder how long it takes to deflate once you're on the ground :P Maybe the vacuum-pack will come back in style soon.

Hi

it handle like a normal ram air canopy. only when you pack it, the air "stuck" a little bit.

by the way, the last 10 landings i land my 86 with nothing but rear risers. at all wind conditions and no fell of getting close to a stall.

blues
Frank
provehito in altum

HI
for some information have a look at these pdf (german)
http://www.paratec.de/Formulare/Produktinfo-Rage.pdf
Don´t know the exact price but just ask [email protected] also for demo´s and all the other stuff
blues
Frank

I don't know if anybody asked it already, but what's the pack volume?? are there demos available? how much is it? how long do you have to wait until you get one? and all that good stuff..

Thanks

provehito in altum

Is anyone marketing them in the U.S. I would be willing to try one out.

i've been trying to get one for months now.

i'm not really counting on ever getting one, it seams like just delay after delay with ken. needless to say i'm not very impressed with paratec

later

needless to say i'm not very impressed with paratec

Well, i was when i was back in Europe... Got my new custom canopy (Faqtor, not R.A.G.E....) in less than 5 weeks. Getting demos wasn't a problem at all.

Don't know what their marketing policy is for the R.A.G.E., though, as there are ads out but it isn't even on the products page. Kinda looks like they might have been overwhelmed by the demand? They're not quite as big as PD...:P
The mind is like a parachute - it only works once it's open.
From the edge you just see more.
... Not every Swooper hooks & not every Hooker swoops ...

right, but i was in contact with ken a long time ago, and he told me there would be no problem getting me a rage.

and i'm not saying it's ken's fault, the demo i was supposed to get was sold, it never came back to him, but he still doesn't have any more demo's. i would think the company would replace it fairly quickly if it was sold.

stefan from paratec contacted me back in march after seeing my post saying i was interested in jumping one, and got me in contact with ken. and i still havne't recieve the canopy (which by the way isn't so bad because for the next 4 weeks i can't jump anyway :P, i broke my pull hand).

ken said i should be able to get one in august, i hope he's right. because i am still interested in trying one.

later