RSG

Smallest Canopy ever seen?

pic: trade show booth with heather. the 25 is yellow and purple and was reinforced for 500# exit weight (i would tell you why but then i would have to kill you;))

i call it my tracking parachute.

dan

Holy crap. You could use that as a tablecloth.

That would have to be a small table... I would love to own a tiny parachute like that, for decorative purposes, and maybe for use in an intentional cutaway rig.

--
Hook high, flare on time

That would have to be a small table... I would love to own a tiny parachute like that, for decorative purposes, and maybe for use in an intentional cutaway rig.

I have a tiny parachute like that. It's called a pilot chute :)
Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

So the smallest canopy landed(successfully...) is still the VX46?

I was coming in for a landing on my cobalt a few weeks back, I thought I had cleared the area of traffic pretty good,when out of the corner of my eye I catch Mike Stevens Flying in on Luigis 46, just screamin right by me. I wanted to watch his flare and run out but I was low enough I couldn't fixate on anything other than my flare and runout. Dang I missed it! Mike is a little guy and that wing was still screamin. Glen

maybe it could be a new trend:

tracking canopies... we could all do flock dives and then when you cut, it could be your pilot and rsl out your main? ;)

sincerely,

dan

ps. to answer some questions: it has never been live jumped (yet), and flying it off the back of a pick up truck shows the c25 to be extremely sensitive, 8" of toggle can 360 it in place. i think eric will just wind up turning it by tilting that giant head of his. for deployment i made a small static line freebag the size of a school kids milk carton. it is to be velcroed to your helmet and then static lined.

Daniel Preston
atairaerodynamics.com (sport)
atairaerospace.com (military)

>for deployment i made a small static line freebag the
>size of a school kids milk carton. it is to be velcroed to
>your helmet and then static lined.

:D This I have to see. I'm sure the cameras will be rolling when the jump takes place... Let us know how it went(and upload video to skydivingmovies.com)

Lets see, I'd load it at about 11.2:1, so can I jump it? I promise if I do I'll follow this sequence: deploy at altitude, do a couple hook turns, riser dives, scream like a little girl and chop it.

On a serious note: Do you (anyone) think that the sport will reach a point in which no matter what happens with the technology of the parachute, there will be a size that we can't safely go past?
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

On a serious note: Do you (anyone) think that the sport will reach a point in which no matter what happens with the technology of the parachute, there will be a size that we can't safely go past?

Airliners can easily have wing loadings of 100 lb/ft^2. For a 200lb jumper, that would require a 2 square foot canopy. A wingsuit must be a lot bigger than that. So, when we're landing heavily loaded wingsuits with wheels, and perhaps encased in an aluminum tube with rigid wings, we could probably get down to 10 square feet of wing area or less. Course you'd be flying a plane but thats a different story.

Dave

It's not just about the size, but the lift produced. Sure airliners can heavily load their wings, but they can also keep a high enough lift to support the plane in steady state flight and landing. Only way you can produce enough lift to safely support and land a jumper is to fly fast. If canopy technology can get to a point where it can produce 100 pounds of lift per square foot, then maybe you can fly a 2 square foot parachute.. :)

A guy at my DZ made himself a 25. It was a model of a design he hoped to implement on a reasonable size (still sub-hundred) canopy. It was deployed from a mister bill, while Jason held onto the risers, and the base of the mister bill held onto the grocery bag the canopy was in. He said it was so much fun he didn't wanna let go in time to dump his 96. Other than that, the smallest I've seen is a Icarus Xtreme 69. The DZO at my old DZ jumped it, but got rid of it b/c 'it had a built in turn'. He was just scared though:D

I got nuthin

had a built in turn

It was probably the weight of the audible on one side that was causing it :P When you consider a jet that large will stall at 130 knots, it can wasilt be loaded like that - as long as you can run that quick, so can a canopy :P
-----------------------------------
It's like something out of that twilighty show about that zone

problem is that as your canopy gets smaller the drag of the pilots body remains the same. it does not scale down with the wing and becomes proportionaly larger.

given the same trim a c25 vs a c75 will fly way out in front of the pilot, as the pilot is the largest component of the systems drag.

i estimate that a 9 cell cc50 would be about the smallest someone like chuck blue or mikael stevens could repeatedly safely land. i estimate on our xbraced onyx a 40 would be about the limit.

with a rigid wing (hang glider) we sucessfully played around with a 33 sq ' glider. such wings are more efficient and you have the benifit of being able to pilot them in a prone low drag position which is not very practical in skydiving. the smallest production hang glider i know of is about 120'. but then again the entire point of gliders is to be able to soar, not simply decend and land.

sincerely,

dan<><>
Daniel Preston <><>

In case anyone missed it in the other forum, the Cobalt 25 was landed for the first time by SkyMonkeyOne (with a little help from me... :P)

Dave

where is that thread ?

stan.

--
it's not about defying gravity; it's how hard you can abuse it. speed skydiving it is ...
Speed Skydiving Forum

pic: trade show booth with heather. the 25 is yellow and purple and was reinforced for 500# exit weight (i would tell you why but then i would have to kill you;))

Hey what is the silver metal box on the bottom of the picture with the atair sticker on it?

i call it my tracking parachute.

dan

silver box: it is an part of our autonomous precision guided parafoil system dubbed ONYX.

the box is magnesium, contained internally is our flight computer with integral gps/inertial sensors and actuator system. it is powered by compressed nitrogen.

sincerely,

dan<><>
www.extremefly.com
Daniel Preston <><>