Ducky

Used Gear purchases online???? Help!!!

Hey,

I think I amy have FINALLY found a good used rig in the classifieds. Just curious how cautious I should be about the sending money for the rig/receiving rig etc.

What is the protocol for gear purchases from online skydiving classifieds??? Urgent replies are VERY appreciated.

kwak
Sometimes your the bug, sometimes your the windshield. Sometimes your the hammer sometimes your the nail. Question is Hun, Do you wanna get hammered or do you wanna get nailed?????

It's worked out for me twice now. Have the seller send to a rigger to inspection first and monies exchanged on a good report. If it's on the up and up, the seller shouldn't have any objections
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

I've bought several items of gear from the classified adds. Usually they won't send the gear unless you send them a money order, a check (that clears), or in some cases a credit card number. I usually get a verbal agreement that I can send the gear back if I don't like it. I really doubt if this means much though. So far I have dealt with really honest people and haven't got burned. On every transaction I feel like I'm taking a big risk, so if there is a better way to go (such as Clay suggests) you would be smart to follow that route. Maybe some others have some ideas on this also? Steve1

Thanx guys...

I emailed the seller with the rigger to rigger suggestion and am awaiting a response. I am also considering the "escrow" method as a possibility. man I hope this works out .

Hey Clay once I Finally get my own damn gear I'll have to stumble down to SDA to see ya.

kwak
Sometimes your the bug, sometimes your the windshield. Sometimes your the hammer sometimes your the nail. Question is Hun, Do you wanna get hammered or do you wanna get nailed?????

Buying gear online can be a real nightmare. (I was burned for 3 grand on E-bay) My advise is keep away from E-bay and stick with this web site. Using a rigger as a go between is a good idea. Document everything and watch out for stolen gear. Good luck!
"Slow down! You are too young
to be moving that fast!"

Old Man Crawfish

I have bought several canopies from online sources and have yet to have a problem. I send a postal money order or pay with a credit card; to fraud either of them is a crime. On the other hand I sold a canopy and the buyer asked me to send it to His DZO as a go between. I did this, I didn't hear anything back for a week so I sent en email to the DZ asking if they got the canopy and saying a quick email saying so would be nice. I got an email back from them that said they were under no obligation to me and that they were doing me a favor, If I wanted to know about the canopy I should have just called them. Well I'll never sell like that again. So don't be to surprised if the seller doesn't want to do that!

Well just an update kids...

After some wranglin and arm twistin the rig is being shipped to my rigger on Monday ;-) I will hope to be jumping it by Friday of next week!!!! umm beer? I'll let you all know how it works out.

kwak

On the other hand I sold a canopy and the buyer asked me to send it to His DZO as a go between. I did this, I didn't hear anything back for a week so I sent en email to the DZ asking if they got the canopy and saying a quick email saying so would be nice. I got an email back from them that said they were under no obligation to me and that they were doing me a favor, If I wanted to know about the canopy I should have just called them. Well I'll never sell like that again.

I always use a U.S. Postal Return Receipt with Certified Mail too. This requires two signatures on the receiving end, and I feel that this is enough cover for me when sending something out before it is paid for. Of course, I also get the buyers phone and address first, and I try the phone number too. I haven't been burned yet, and I think the other people I've delt with were happy as well.

When i bought a Supposed to be new Nikon N90s from Triple A Camera Exchange It ended up being a used former Kodak/Nikon Digital Hybrid. They had taken the digital back off and replaced it with a new back. I sent it back Return Receipt and Insurance to make sure he got it. I also included a copy of the report i filed with BBB so they got the point. Took those lazy bastard a month to give me my $$ back >:(

Now for the good story:)
I recently bought a used Jumpsuit off the classifieds through ebay. I payed with paypal and with in 5 days i got the jumpsuit along with three new pairs of goggles. It all depends on who your dealing with.
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

Well as promised I am back to fill everyone in on my online gear purchase.....

As of this past Friday the deal was all set I give my Rigger the $$$ the seller calls onday to verify he has it and then ships. Upon inspection by my rigger funds to be sent to the seller, deal is done. Well almost :|:|

Turns out the seller seems to really not want the rig inspected in fact he seems very flakey. Afeter the 3 hour round trip in the rain to drop the $$$ w/ my rigger I was kind pissed. The guy emailed me Tuesday tosay he is not "comfortable" with sending the gear to my rigger. In fact the only options he offered left me taking all the risk. No opportunity for inspection, hell he wnted to send it cod so I would have to pay FedEx before I could even open the damn box!

I am disappointed , but will continue my search. I am curious if I should somehow alert others that perhaps this is a possible scam? Who knows I could be worng perhaps he is just a skeptical flake, but I would hate to know someone else got burned on this deal.

Wish me luck as "the search" is on again. :D:D

kwak

E-bay is still the best to buy from an unknown source . Research the seller . Don't buy from people with - feedback . I have NEVER had a bad deal on E-bay . I have bought high $$ items and have been very happy with every purchase . If you are really concerned with getting burned use a credit card or a credit card check and this will allow you to dispute a purchase gone bad . There is a ton of gear on E-bay and if you can get a container the right size you could always have the harness resized for around $200.00 .

I personally bought gear from skykat online gear shop. They requested full payment before shipping, then I had 5 days from the time I received it to decide if I wanted to keep it or not. Fortunately I was very pleased with my purchase, and still am. Happy hunting

S.E.X. party #1

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "f*#k, what a ride".

Well, I took the less careful route. I researched to see if I could find the jumper's name in other references (and I could). I spoke with her to get a feel for what she sounded like.
We tried to set up something reasonable without too much overhead, and I ended up just trusting, and she ended up just trusting. I got the rig Friday night, and she got the check Saturday morning. We're both happy with our decisions. This technique only works if you can (at least sort of) afford to lose the money/rig.
If the weather holds, I'll be changing what it says about gear in my profile this weekend.
Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Turns out the seller seems to really not want the rig inspected in fact he seems very flakey.

You did the right thing...you need an opportunity to inspect the gear.

However (comma pause for effect) is your rigger based at a dropzone or a major rigging loft, or does he work out of his house?

When I bought my gear, the guy was very happy to ship it to the dropzone, where the in-house rigger took a look at it. It seemed to be a pretty common practice at SDD. The dropzone wouldn't even let me take it home until I'd mailed the seller the money. I can see your seller being uncomfortable with shipping his gear to someone he's never heard of.

That said, I remember reading somewhere that someone's dropzone got really pissy when asked to do the same thing mine did for me. You might ask your dzo and in-house rigger (assuming you have one) what their thoughts are on this.
Skydiving is for cool people only

However (comma pause for effect) is your rigger based at a dropzone or a major rigging loft, or does he work out of his house?

Yes, My rigger's loft is at a major Dropzone. I also provided the seller with the link to his very detailed and complete website. I also had the $$$ in my rigger's hands before he was even contacted by the seller. I even went so far as to get money orders instead of personal check.

I see where the COD option is good for a seller, but from a former shipping and receiving guy here I also know it's not good for the buyer. Fedex n UPS want a signature and payment BEFORE you can even open the box. I didn't wanna pay for a box of rocks.

kwak

I recently purchased a rig though the classifieds here on Dropzone.
The seller however was more than happy to have a rigger inspect it 1st ( I had to pay for the inspection and repack (even if I didn't keep it) which seemed ok to me).
If they won't let you see it 1st or have it inspected... pass on.
Of course that's just my opinion.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"You don't quit playing because you get old, you get old because you quit playing"