annaandbob

PISA Hornet

I jump a Hornet '150 (loaded at 1.3:1), I've made about 290 jumps on it and really like it. I've also jumped a Sabre 135, 150 and 170. My next canopy will be a Heatwave '135 which I am buying directly from PISA. Their customer service rocks. Also, bear in mind PISA manufacture the ZP material that they use, which helps make their prices even more competitive. By the way, where are PD canopies manufactured? ;)

Will

I will never buy a new canopy from anybody but PISA. Their products are outstanding. The colored tabs are sweet. There are guys with thousands of jumps that still roll the tail when I'm finished packing. It's a little nice addition. PD and other manufactures gotta charge more for each canopy due to their overheads; nothing wrong with that but it is not my game. I have a mind of my own and I jump what I think is the best quality/cost product.
Memento Audere Semper

Kevin,
You know I have heard so many stories about the nice soft openings on Hornets that I hate to bring this up. But yes, my hornet was slamming me on a regular basis when I pro-packed it. The good news is that I started psycho-packing and this seems to be working fine so far. I only have about 40 jumps on it. I only spent about $650. (plus freight) when I bought it new from South Africa last winter. There prices have gone up since then, but What a buy! I love the way it flies, lands, and packs up small. Steve1

>But If you want you can drop a line to PISA go right ahead they'll get back to you the same day unlike PD...

I've never had PD take more then 24 hours to contact me back. (Kolla ROCKS!)

The reason I ask is because I've been bitten by one company that says they don't do maintence and require you to do the work your self or have an autherized repair center. I was just wondering if PISA is the same way.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

;) [size 2]I have a Hornet 210. I'm a new jumper, so I don't have alot to compare it to.
I had a custom one from Mike @ Pier in 5 weeks along with the rest of the complete rig with a Tempo reserve.
The canopy flies like a Sabre that I tried in Dallas, it flares good, and I survived the traffic in Rantoul. The colored attachment points make it easy to PRO pack, since I'm still not great at it.
Since I got the canopy, I've had slow openings. Long snivels, or long to me anyway 800-900'. That might not be bad, but like I said I'm a new jumper and am used to the student canopy that opens quicker.
The guy at PISA (Ned) was right on it though, when I requested his input via email. He pointed out that the Hornet is designed to have a higher wing load, not under loaded. So make sure you take that into consideration when buying one for your wife. I weigh 210, 240 out of the plane and still get slow openings on the 210 sq. ft. PISA is working on getting the canopy right - they've offered a new smaller slider and are having the trim checked by a factory trained rigger. Can't ask for better service than that.
I think you'll have a fine canopy for the price and the money you'll save can go for some extra jump tickets at the DZ!B|[/size]

Just an update for y'all. I just got an email from PISA, my Heatwave '135 is ready. It took exactly 4 weeks from ordering and Ned had to go to some trouble to get the colours I wanted. I also ordered a 5m length of Burgundy ZP fabric so I could have some tubes made over here. Total price for new custom colour Heatwave '135 and 5m length of ZP? £401 ($616)!

Maybe one day I'll be able to justify spending £1 600 on a main, but for the level I am at I believe that this canopy will do just fine! :ph34r:

Will

The guy at PISA (Ned) was right on it though, when I requested his input via email. He pointed out that the Hornet is designed to have a higher wing load, not under loaded.

...so as I'm looking at the specs the "max rec." weight of a 170 is only 205 lbs, a 1.21 wingloading.

If they mean RECOMMENDED weight, I'm cool as I'm 205 out the door and right on the numbers. Is that what their posted "max #'s" really means?

Blue Skies

Dave

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend (Lennon/McCartney)

If they mean RECOMMENDED weight, I'm cool as I'm 205 out the door and right on the numbers. Is that what their posted "max #'s" really means?

I don't know what they really mean, but I was loading my Hornet at about 1.45 and it flew and landed great! I liked it so much, I went to the Heatwave and will stay with it for several hundred more jumps, I'm that happy with it! It is also loaded at about 1.45

Why is it that you prefer the hornet over the heatwave.Isnt the hornet more docile.Were you trying to upsize.Or what.The reason I ask.I was thinking abou getting a heatwave and I currently jump a hornet.I figured they're both made by PISA and I love the hornet but I want the elliptical factor.

http://www.freefallmaniacs.net

Why is it that you prefer the hornet over the heatwave?

He said that he has 70 jumps, maybe thats why he (sensibly)doesn't feel ready for an elliptical canopy just yet.

I love the hornet but I want the elliptical factor

Your profile says you have 95 jumps, are you sure you are ready for the "elliptical factor"? I don't know your wing-loading, but this does seem a bit soon to be going elliptical.

Will

Yep, Skreamer pretty much hit it on the nose. I've jumped a diablo a couple of times but with my experience level I'm not ready for all of the nasties that an eliptical can dish out.

Plus, I'd rather learn to radically fly a docile canopy first and swoop the *&%# out of it, (not that I'm going to anytime soon ;)) and then move to an eliptical.

JB|