jsreznor

Ignore User

+1 as well

Slyde, and now his new username SlyD keeps trolling in General Skydiving Forum.
A few rules he has broken so far:
-Post to the correct forum and stay on topic.
-Trolling
-multiple accounts

If we can't have ignore function, can we ban his IP based on these broken rules? :)B|

Let me be #6. After reading someone spew all of her ire today, completely off topic, trolling and outright name calling other individuals, I thought it would be nice to have a "hide" button like facebook has. It was irritating trying to go through the rubbish to get to the substance of the topic at hand.

There are a handful of people who destroy the value of Speaker's Corner for me, with their constant ranting and raving and personal attacks. I'm sick of it. I'd like to be able to filter out those few individuals, and stick to serious discussion. There's a real danger that those few people are driving away all the more moderate folks, and all you'll have left there is the crazies. Such a filter would allow everyone to participate at the level of their own choosing. And I won't mind a bit of some people choose to put my name in the filter.

There are a handful of people who destroy the value of Speaker's Corner for me, with their constant ranting and raving and personal attacks. I'm sick of it. I'd like to be able to filter out those few individuals, and stick to serious discussion. There's a real danger that those few people are driving away all the more moderate folks, and all you'll have left there is the crazies. Such a filter would allow everyone to participate at the level of their own choosing. And I won't mind a bit of some people choose to put my name in the filter.

But then this site would be like Facebook.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

:)
Unfortunately, I you have to look pretty hard sometimes for good discussion in SC [:/]

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

It would look like whatever every individual chooses to make it look like.
Those that want a rough-and-tumble free for all, can have it.
Those who want to limit what they see, can have that too.
It seems like an ideal win-win proposal to me.

those few people are driving away all the more moderate folks, and all you'll have left there is the crazies.

Having taken a self imposed break from DZ.com a while back, and spent a few hours catching up on threads in SC, I'd have to say that already happened years ago.

It would look like whatever every individual chooses to make it look like.
Those that want a rough-and-tumble free for all, can have it.
Those who want to limit what they see, can have that too.
It seems like an ideal win-win proposal to me.

actually it wouldn't, if you've ever been apart of forums with such features the topics become completely disjointed and difficult to follow as posters you can see respond to posters you have filtered and vice versa, you end up having to turn it on and off all the time to follow the flow of conversation (assuming you want to participate in the discussion) It also means that pretty much all threads end up being soliloquy in series vs actual discussion, as the 'opposing factions' post and write on to those who dont have them blocked.

the only real answer that works long term and keeps the discussion and debate intact is active moderation to keep threads on topic and squash the obvious personal cat fights that erupt between regular offenders. Warn them twice and boot them if they aren't 'playing the ball' or continually drag threads off topic (presuming political discussion is the point of the subforum)

it requires a lot more work and some level of balance between moderators with opposing view points (a 'head referee' so to speak) which means alot more overhead for a site that is fundamentally about skydiving and not political debate.

Any chance you can install an "Ignore User" option on the control panel?
I'm tired of Slyde's spamming and no mod seems to want to do anything about his endless set of rants.

Here's an interesting add-on if you use Firefox.

FfvB - vBulletin Management for Firefox

There are probably FfVBadd-ons for other browsers but I haven't looked.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Correct.

The idea of blocking people's posts in a forum environment is not a very common one, and for such reasons. It ends up becoming a white elephant piece of technology.

You'll create it, the few people will use it, then they will notice that the forums make no sense anymore because of the replies to users they have blocked. So to get up to speed they will go and unblock them and eventually just realize that it doesn't work.

Personally I don't see the issue in the first place, if you don't like what someone writes, don't read his post, scroll down to the next one.

One possible feature would be to have an auto-hide feature that will hide all posts made by any person 'blocked'. Then if the one whom has that person blocked still wants to read that post there can be a small "show post" button which expands that 1 post. That would be the most practical way to skip over a certain users posts without destroying all sense in the forum. Though not sure how realistic to implement.

Overall I can support the idea of blocking users from PM contacts, but there doesn't seem to be a very effective way of achieving users ability to block another users forum posts.