KidWicked

How about RSS feeds of the forum topics?

Come on guys. Take it to PMs if you want.....

Ohh, and he did.. I'd reply back to him but I think I'm gonna be busy for awhile taking his advice that I should "Go f*** myself".

lol.. :D:D:D

It'll be the smartest thing you ever did.
Coreece: "You sound like some skinheads I know, but your prejudice is with Christians, not niggers..."

RSS feeds are cool*. Topato Potato is cool. The way you're acting isn't. Chill out and have a :D B|.

* Personally, I think they're a good idea, but I'm not sure how many dz.commers would use 'em. Though I'd be very happy to see and use an RSS feed for articles.

I suggested that very thing to HH once..

However, making the site content available via RSS means less traffic to the site, less views on the ad banners, ad revenue goes down, etc., etc., etc.

Since not everyone's a premier member, ad revenue plays a part in paying for the site, and since the forums are such a high-traffic part of this site, prolly ain't gonna happen :)
It belongs to Sangiro though, not me, so wtf do I know B|

but I'm not sure how many dz.commers would use 'em

You're on the right track. :)
No technology for the sake of technology. There are too many sites doing that. It has to add value. When that time comes, it will happen. The articles are more likely to happen than the forums. I'm sure those in the know can talk about the possible performance impacts of poorly set up RSS readers on high volume or high traffic sites. :)
Safe swoops
Sangiro

but I'm not sure how many dz.commers would use 'em

I, for one, would be VERY happy to have them.

Now that would be a feature that would make me seriously consider premier membership. except that I can't afford it right now B|

[I know this is an old thread that did not go very well, just wanted to add my interest]

Chronistin
(Home @ http://www.fallschirmspringer.net/)

RSS wasn't designed for, nor does it really work very well with forums.

It does work really well for news stories, which is what it was designed for.

It would be neat to see RSS for the topics on the home page, but I suspect that most people are thinking forums when they ask for it. I suspect that's a pipe-dream.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

If what you really want is rec.skydiving, you're free to go there....?

Problem: rec.skydiving consists of three people flaming each other. I like the dropzone.com _content_, but I'm not wild about the _interface_ .

Eule
PLF does not stand for Please Land on Face.

I think your argument is doomed for reasons that you have stated yourself

- The five people that would use it would probably buy Sangiro lots of beer.
- Harder to run the ads which help pay the bills.

Those two alone doom the idea - user base declines and revenue drops.... oops no more dz.com

I think that you might as well get used to the interface as is for now.:)
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

Subject says it all. You know it's the future!

Having lived through the "dot com boom and crash" that sounds like something I've heard before. :P

BBS bulletin boards was "the future" at some point. So was flaming and spinning logos! I like RSS. When the time is right I'll adopt it. I'm pretty particular about the strategy I use to adopt new technologies on Dropzone.com.

On community sites it makes sense to wait till the tipping point has been reached before you spend a lot of time and energy building something that only 2% of your members are using.

Just because it's cool, and just because it can be done, doesn't mean it should be done. That's part of the reason why you don't see this site all cluttered with scrolling text banners, javascript pop-ups, etc.

I do like RSS though. Let's see how things play out. Should I also write a widget for Konfabulator? ;)
Safe swoops
Sangiro

I wish you could create personalized rss feeds for forum search results kind of like you can do on digg for news searches. Then anytime someone posts something new that matches one of your searches it would show up in your feeds. That would be too cool.

Skydive Radio

<>

It's been a while since the last post, we're in the future now with all these people-moving conveyors everywhere and jetpacks for everyone. Is it safe to bring this request back to the table yet ?

People have mentioned that RSS doesn't work well for forums. I disagree. If certain forums like Incidents popped up in my RSS reader with new content, I would know that its time to come over to the dz.com to get the full story. Similarly for Classifieds, if I'm shopping for something specific, I'll know right away if something new pops up. I think it works more like an indicator of new content rather than a reader, I'll still end up coming to the site to get the content anyway so everyone wins.

Just some thoughts, I hope this topic comes to the forefront again.
You think you understand the situation, but what you don't understand, is that the situation just changed.

If what you really want is rec.skydiving, you're free to go there....?

Problem: rec.skydiving consists of three people flaming each other. I like the dropzone.com _content_, but I'm not wild about the _interface_ .

Eule

Exactly, you never see anyone flaming here. Thanks for the bump. It made my day.
Blue Skies, Soft Docks and Happy Landings!
CWR #23
(It's called CRW, add an e if you like, but I ain't calling it CFS. FU FAI!)

This might be possible centrally via Twitter/FB and the existing technology with a simple email rule.

Using Subscriptions, subscribe to the forums you want update notices on (IE: Blue Skies and Incidents)

Have a rule setup on that mailbox that emails Twitter/FB when there is an update, depending on the formatting of that subsription email, the rule may be as simple as when email from x, send canned message y to Twitter.FB account with url to dz.com.

I'll play with it and see how workable it is.

The first issue I see is Subscriptions is a daily summary.

Perhaps watched threads? Do they email notffications?

Subscriptions/watched threads is new territory for me. :$

Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.