howardwhite

Newbie, Enthusiast, Addict, etc.

Who decides, and why, DZ.COMmers are "ranked.?" I don't really mind being a Newbie, but I'm not, either in jumps or here.

HW

Howard,

It is simply measured by the number of posts you make and is pretty much automatic. Besides, if having a "Newbie" label is good enough for Bill Booth, it's good enough for you!:P

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Why do they call it "Tourist Season" if we can't shoot them?

I don't much care, but you're saying that if I post 500 messages about Marilyn Monroe's boobies, I have more credibility than someone who posts a lot of more-or-less serious posts? Do readers pay attention to these labels? I post a lot more than Bill Booth.

HW

I don't much care, but you're saying that if I post 500 messages about Marilyn Monroe's boobies, I have more credibility than someone who posts a lot of more-or-less serious posts? Do readers pay attention to these labels? I post a lot more than Bill Booth.

HW

Nope, not at all -- we don't pay attention to the titles except as a humorous aside. The quality of what you post on serious topics will be main criterion that gauges your effectiveness on the forums. With your experience and years in the sport, your posting status here is irrelevant.

Don't let silly little fun things interfere with your willingness to share your experience and expertise with us; we need folks like you to speak up on important matters.

Have fun with the silly topics, too. Life is too short not to have fun, but it is short enough as it is; if you can help some of us prolong it, you will be much appreciated.

Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more money.

Why do they call it "Tourist Season" if we can't shoot them?

Like Jack said, there is absolutely nothing connected to the "rank" other than the amount of time you have available to post. You will see very experienced skydivers with "newbie" and "enthusiast" rankings, and others who are barely off student status with over 1000 posts. That title doesn't mean anything, but generally the people who post here a lot have already physically met others in the forums. It's sort of a large, loosely-knit family, much as many internet chat rooms become. I have personally met at least 20 people who post here fairly regularly. Then again, I have been skydiving over 21 years.

Chuck

Like Chuck said. I'm the 2nd highest poster on the site (behind the ever so infamous Clay) and I'm a 200 jump wonder, where as Bill Booth (uninsured...;)) is a "Newbie." Go figure right? All it means is that since I'm a broke-ass college student, I post a lot.:P
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Like Jack said, there is absolutely nothing connected to the "rank" other than the amount of time you have available to post. You will see very experienced skydivers with "newbie" and "enthusiast" rankings, and others who are barely off student status with over 1000 posts.

As a general rule, you should strive to have more skydives than posts.

Like Jack said, there is absolutely nothing connected to the "rank" other than the amount of time you have available to post. You will see very experienced skydivers with "newbie" and "enthusiast" rankings, and others who are barely off student status with over 1000 posts.

As a general rule, you should strive to have more skydives than posts.

That's hard to do when you have FIVE WHOLE DAYS of posting ahead of you and only TWO half-days of skydiving to do. ;)

It is simply measured by the number of posts you make ...

The problem is that many of the readers here might not realize that the label is assigned based only upon message posting frequency. Someone might disregard solid advice, because it came from someone tagged as a "newbie". Worse, someone might take as gospel, advice from someone called a "veteran" who actually has very few jumps. This is a dangerous game the forum is playing, IMO...

What does the title "geronimo", "pooh-bah", and "carpal tunnel" say about a person's skydiving skills? I think it's abundantly clear that these titles have nothing to do with skydiving.

So, to the confused out there:

Check any advice you get on these forums (or anywhere else), whether the title says "newbie" or "veteran" and the profile says 10 or 12,000 jumps, with your own instructors and before you apply it. If this is not your attitude about this sport in general already, then you may want to take up bowling.

This forum isn't playing a "dangerous game". Skydiving is a dangerous pursuit. If you're not smart enough to know that all information needs filtering and verification before you apply it to something that may cost you your life when you screw up... well, then you're halfway on the way to hurting yourself already... regardless of whether these forums exist or not.

In the end you're responsible for your own safety in this sport, you make your own decisions on what to listen to and what not, what to do and what not - not some "veteran" on an internet forum! Don't be a Lemming!
Safe swoops
Sangiro

How about "Been Around" and "Codger."

Uh, being a woman, I don't think I'd really want "been around" next to my name! :P
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

How about "Been Around" and "Codger."

Uh, being a woman, I don't think I'd really want "been around" next to my name! :P

ROFL AHAHAHAHAHA

Okay politicially sensitive code:

if (posterhas == "a_penis") {
if (postcount >0 && postcount < 100) {
result = "Embryo";
}
if (postcount >=100 && postcount < 300) {
result = "Prepubescent Teenager";
}
if (postcount >=300 && postcount < 500) {
result = "Just discovering beer";
}
if (postcount >=500 && postcount < 1000) {
result = "Your average DZ.com Post-Whore";
}
} else {
// You get the picture. ;)
}

Politicially sensitive and efficient code:

if (posterhas == "a_penis") {
if (postcount >=0 && postcount < 100) {
result = "Embryo";
}
else if (postcount < 300) {
result = "Prepubescent Teenager";
}
else if (postcount < 500) {
result = "Just discovering beer";
}
else if (postcount < 1000) {
result = "Your average DZ.com Post-Whore";
}
} else {
// You get the picture. ;)
}

Ok, time to finish my wine and go to bed...
My Logbook

I have a feeling that people who really believe those descriptions are the ones who can least afford to. Not that they're necessarily new, but that they attach a whole lot of importance to titles.
we could always have
  • net.newbie
  • tricky fingers
  • fickle fingers
  • frenetic fingers (is there a pattern emerging here?)
  • clay (gotta do something to honor the guy -- what an investment!)

but hey -- I'm just a newbie ;)
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Even more efficient code

switch (trunc(postcount/100))
{
CASE 0: result == "Embryo";
CASE 1,2: result == "Prepubescent Teenager";
CASE 3,4: result == "Just discovering beer";
CASE 5,6,7,8,9: result == "Your average DZ.com Post-Whore";
}
;)

Not sure what language we're coding in here, but the above solution is
clever perhaps, but definitely the least efficient of the three, both in readability and execution speed.

The division operation alone is probably enough to lose, then there's overhead of the 'trunc' function call (which is redundant if the language is 'C' like since both divisor and dividend are integers already). Finally, with so few cases in the switch statement, most compilers will turn it into a series of ifs anyway, possibly with more comparisons than the original since each case is represented rather than just the beginning and end points of each range of users.

geekiness... it's a curse sometimes :)

I'm a Pooh Bah. Just making post # 667 in this forum to get it off 666/ It's an unlucky number to me!;)

As if you ever needed this forum or any other forum just to make another post! If you didn't do it here i'm sure you'd have found another spot in about 23 seconds and made it there! ;)
Safe swoops
Sangiro