Paulipod

The waiting is over! - The worlds largest tunnel is flying

:D:D:D:D:DB|B|B|B|B|:D:D:D:D:D

Well - its been 3 years for me... but today made the waiting worthwhile.

We have been flying in our tunnel, and am I pleased to say it performs as good in reality as we thought it would on paper.

The air was amazingly smooth, the power with great range.... and the excitment of our team incredible.

Here is a photo of Bernd having a play, we will take some good quality photos etc for the site in the next day or so.

Now - we are making our opening party on the 17th September and will be inviting people for a few preview flights before then. The opening party is by invitation only so email us if you want to be in for a ticket.

So hopefully we will get to share some air with you all soon.

ps
Please dont phone to book time etc yet - We will start accepting bookings next week.

http://www.bodyflight.co.uk/fly.jpg

Bodyflight Bedford
www.bodyflight.co.uk

Post more pics, Paul or I will ban you from the forum!:P Let's see it!

Chuck

But resize them so they don't fill -more- than the screen. I hate having to scroll around just to see the whole picture. :S

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Ok Ok - threats get you results for sure :D although I am not sure there is a financial level to my being banned so dont even think about blackmail for tunnel time :P:DB|

Following snaps also for you (we are a little busy testing, erm ok - playing to setup anything too fancy but we have some good photo shoot bits planned for tomorrow)

www.bodyflight.co.uk/fly2.jpg
www.bodyflight.co.uk/fly3.jpg
www.bodyflight.co.uk/fly4.jpg

We will build an 8-way donut or something like tomorrow so that you can get a true perspective of the chamber size ;)

Bodyflight Bedford
www.bodyflight.co.uk

BFB - World's Largest Diameter Tunnel
SVA - America's Largest Diameter Tunnel
AAC - World's Tallest & ONLY Dual VWT (Horizontal & Vertical)

now that we have that straightB|

added: that I'm aware of.. there are no plans for anyone to go bigger than any of those listed... these 3 might retain their titles for a LONG time to come..

:D Still not convinced on the tallest bit... an open jet doesnt really have a height... and if we are talking about people flying to a max height I think Egypt or Zurich have an ability to throw people to similar distances into the air?

I'll let you the dual one - not sure that any other tunnels have a horizontal test section and a vertical... thats kinda unique for sure.

Just out of curiosity - is it actually used much? is there measurement equipment or rolls/balances in that area? (Damn starting to sound geeky again) :S

:)

Bodyflight Bedford
www.bodyflight.co.uk

AAC's column extends over 100 feet from the nozzle.... I do believe that is a record. (ANDY how high do you think you fly in BFAG???)

They aren't using the horizontal section much at this point, but again, they haven't even had a grand opening yet, so there is much to do before they consider themselves 'complete and finished' and available. The most important part of that feature is that they can both be used simultaneously without affecting eachother.

When John & Phil spent their year in Switzerland, they certainly pushed the higher limits, but no one calculated how TALL that was then.. when I compare height of tunnels, I consider that until it diminishes from it's original diameter.. how do you calculate height on a tunnel without a roof?

Certainly when an L1 is contained in it's first skyscraper, the entier 100ft + column will be used.. but for now, that is just a drawing.

Here's a fun test... have a freeflyer dive from the top of the column as fast as he can.. John can get a 5 second delay in a head down dive from the top of the column.. that count begins when he turns completely vertical and begins the dive.. one one thousand, two one thousand, three one thousand, four one thousand, five one thousand and he reaches the net..

Added: I also think SVC should win the title " Best Looking SkyVenture in the world" :)

Modified:

BFB - World's Largest Diameter & Most Horsepower Tunnel (houston has a 4k+hp motor on it's way)
SVA - America's Largest Diameter Tunnel & World's Largest on a DZ
AAC - World's Tallest & ONLY Dual VWT and Best View
SVC - World's Most aesthetically pleasing SkyVenture!!!

(disclaimer: these are my opinions only based on what I know and have seen)

all I can say for sure, is the tunnel world is alot brighter these days.. when I got started all we had were noisy, choppy, hot & oily portable tunnels with only 8-10' X 30' feet to fly in!!!:):)

Here's a fun test... have a freeflyer dive from the top of the column as fast as he can.. John can get a 5 second delay in a head down dive from the top of the column.. that count begins when he turns completely vertical and begins the dive.. one one thousand, two one thousand, three one thousand, four one thousand, five one thousand and he reaches the net..

I cant do that - when someone transitions to a head down here we have the power on so they stay where they are :ph34r:B|:D:D

Probably hard to say how high in Zurich - as they dont fly high power usually without the walls in place

And again - no way I could argue with the scenery or the view from the open jet playfield!

We are gonna have to arrange an exchange programme for staff... lol

Bodyflight Bedford
www.bodyflight.co.uk

I cant do that - when someone transitions to a head down here we have the power on so they stay where they are

yes.. let's start an exchange program, sounds like fun.. and then John can teach your guys how to fly in high speed air;):o;):P..

ok, ok, I get your point, but if they can't dive it must be one of two things.. they can't fly like that in there yet or your air is too fast to fly in... I can't figure out why everyone want's such fast air?? It allows for more freedom to fly at lower speeds.. why is that a bad thing? And I can't fly with my friends at high speeds unless they wear weights and that sux.. it's just not something we prefer, but why does everyone else? It's not necessarily any EASIER to fly at high speeds, it's just different.
Added:
ok wait..:S I forgot again.. everyone is attempting to simulate freefall.. THATs why they like the high speed air.. in that case I understand I guess.:)

surely you want the wind speed to be as similar in the tunnel to the speed you would be flying at in the sky for that particular dicipline?

we're sorted on the bellyflying front, but freeflying in the tunnels is it not better to try and have the high speeds so that you don't have to wear HUGE jumpsuits and also compromise the body position that you want to be using in freefall just so that you can get off the net?

granted tunnel instructors who are on the sharp end may not like the high speeds because they'll thow people out of control even faster with more force...