tetra316

Class 3 Medical for Tandems

So I went today to get my medical renewed and I can't pass the damned vision test on my right eye alone. Totally surprised me as I hadn't even noticed and had no issues with getting the medical 3 years ago. So of course they won't even issue me until I see an eye doctor and he okays my eyes or I have to get glasses so they can't put that restriction on the certificate. Funny thing is I really don't think I need glasses. I guess I'll find out what's really up tomorrow when I go to Lens Crafters for some tests. :(

Why can't they just issue the medical and just say I'm not allowed to pilot an aircraft :P

uhhh, you're piloting an aircraft??? ...with a passenger.

Nope. :P The manufacture is the one that requires the medical not the FAA. So getting a medical has nothing to do with the FAA so to speak, I'm only getting it because Strong requires it.

(anyone correct me if I'm wrong on that point...)

You can get a waiver for something like this, it might be why your flight doctor has you going to someone else to get your eyes checked. There is an AOPA article that references the issue in an article and states:

The revised FAA Part 67 medical standards for a third-class medical certificate require testing both distant and near vision acuity. For distance and near visions, each eye separately must see 20/40, with or without correction. But what if one or both eyes can't correct to 20/40? There is some flexibility. The FAA may be able to issue a statement of demonstrated ability, or waiver. An eye evaluation done by your optometrist or ophthalmologist is usually required, and you may be asked to take a medical flight test with an FAA examiner to demonstrate that you can identify objects on the ground and in the air and can read navigation charts and panel instruments.

I looked into this stuff when I got LASIK. I could get a class 1 with my glasses but only class 3 with my contacts because of an astigmatism.

I think in your case I would just get glasses!

You have no idea how many times I've heard 'my eyes are fine, I don't really need glasses', but then I show the patient what they are supposed to see, and they had no idea what they were missing visually. You adapt to your visual world and learn how to interpret the blur and reduced depth perception (if you are seeing better with one eye than the other, your depth perception is reduced), but don't realize just how much you're missing.

The glasses is the least important part of the eye exam anyway, if it's been more than 2 years, you're due anyway, just to check for eye/general health issues (most of them have no symptoms early on)

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

The above post nailed it. I thought my vision was perfect, as it always was, until I started biffing my landings. First I thought, what the heck is wrong with my Stiletto? But then I noticed my tandem landings were going off the rails too.

I went to an Optometrist and learned, that yes, I needed glasses. And also that I was somewhat color blind. He showed me those colored dot sheets with the number embedded in them. and I was like, "What number?"

NickD :)

It is a waiverable item. I only have 20/40 in the left eye and no depth perception but still am able to hold a class 3. I also know a person with only one eye who holds a class 1. The physical is used in combination with the flight check and any limitations are noted on the physical card and airmans license.

It is a waiverable item. I only have 20/40 in the left eye and no depth perception but still am able to hold a class 3. I also know a person with only one eye who holds a class 1. The physical is used in combination with the flight check and any limitations are noted on the physical card and airmans license.

20/40 is the minimum. My right eye was worse than that according to him so in order to issue the medical I must have glasses. He will then note that limitation on the card.

At a private practice you will have more doctor time, more thorough testing, better patient education, better quality materials.

Chain places make their money in bulk, so they buy lots of lower quality eyewear and jack the prices up high, warranties aren't as good, and docs are generally booked more patients per hour.

You'll still get a full refraction, eye health check, pressures, etc either way. There are great chain docs and shitty private docs, so the doc matters more than the location to some degree.

How's that for a definitive answer :P

I looked and cannot find an FAR requiring a medical to act as a tandem Instructor, do you have a reference?

You won't find one. I argued for such a requirement when part 105 was rewritten, but the FAA choose not to include it. Manufacturers may require a medical, but there is no FAR that requires a tandem instructor to follow that manufacturers recommendations. I argued for that as well, but apparently the FAA didn't see a need.

The requirement is included in the USPA BSR's in section 2-1-C(2) as follows:

C. MEDICAL REQUIREMENTS
1. All persons engaging in skydiving must:
a. Carry a valid Class 1, 2, or 3 Federal Aviation
Administration Medical Certificate; or
b. Carry a certificate of physical fitness for skydiving
from a registered physician; or
c. Have completed the USPA recommended
medical statement.
2. Any skydiver acting as parachutist in command on a
tandem jump must possess an FAA Class 3 medical
certificate or the equivalent.

Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

I looked and cannot find an FAR requiring a medical to act as a tandem Instructor, do you have a reference?

You won't find one. I argued for such a requirement when part 105 was rewritten, but the FAA choose not to include it. Manufacturers may require a medical, but there is no FAR that requires a tandem instructor to follow that manufacturers recommendations. I argued for that as well, but apparently the FAA didn't see a need.

The requirement is included in the USPA BSR's in section 2-1-C(2) as follows:

C. MEDICAL REQUIREMENTS
1. All persons engaging in skydiving must:
a. Carry a valid Class 1, 2, or 3 Federal Aviation
Administration Medical Certificate; or
b. Carry a certificate of physical fitness for skydiving
from a registered physician; or
c. Have completed the USPA recommended
medical statement.
2. Any skydiver acting as parachutist in command on a
tandem jump must possess an FAA Class 3 medical
certificate or the equivalent.

Wow-so according the BSR ALL skydivers should have a medical and a doctor's note. Had no idea that was in the SIM. Interesting since I would bet no one (or nearly no one) follows this.

Most 'chain' environments ARE subleases... WM, Sam's, Pearle, a majority of Lenscrafters... there aren't a lot that are directly employed, and some states don't allow ODs to be employed by a chain (lucky states!!). America's Best does employ ODs, at least in PA, and so do a couple of other chains.

I'm whoring myself out today at a WM... I am part time in private practice, part time filling in at WM. WM pays well and the subleasing doc I work for is outstanding, she runs it as much like a private practice as possible. I just hate having no control over materials and having to bite my tongue when I know there are better materials out there for some patients.

It's not a direct reference but implied:

(a) No person may conduct a parachute operation using a tandem parachute system, and no pilot in command of an aircraft may allow any person to conduct a parachute operation from that aircraft using a tandem parachute system, unless--

(v) Has been certified by the appropriate parachute manufacturer or tandem course provider as being properly trained on the use of the specific tandem parachute system to be used.

Part of the certification process for some manufacturers is having a current FAA Class III medical or foreign/military equivalent. I know that UPT accepts the standard military physical as a substitute.

Not a direct FAA requirement, but is included in the general requirement in (v).
Arrive Safely

John

Part of the certification process for some manufacturers is having a current FAA Class III medical or foreign/military equivalent. I know that UPT accepts the standard military physical as a substitute.

Not a direct FAA requirement, but is included in the general requirement in (v).

Unfortunately, the FAR's do not include any currency/re-currency requirements. For example, I could do a tandem today, legal within the FAR's, without a current medical and not having made a skydive in 5 years.........

Derek